S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Speedometer gauge flicker

Old 04-02-2007, 08:39 AM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Speedometer gauge flicker

My speedometer gauge/tachometer, the entire guage flickers...

it flickers with the stereo, and it also flickers when the stereo is OFF.

what causes this?

I've changed the battery once, should be oem battery.

i have 75K miles, MY03.

changed the batter at...50K i believe....

thanks.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like an alternator to me.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:26 AM

what's wrong with the alternator?
Old 04-02-2007, 09:45 AM
Banned

you'll need a new alternator soon
Old 04-02-2007, 09:49 AM

how fast does an alternator usually go bad?

and what causes an alternator to go bad?
Old 04-02-2007, 09:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The alternator provides the power to the car's electrical systems when the engine is running and also charges the battery.

When the engine isn't running, or the alternator isn't putting out enough power, the battery has to supply the power to run the car and the lights and the stereo. As the battery discharges, there isn't enough power to run the spark plugs, lights, and stereo system all at once, so when the stereo system draws power for that thumping bass, something suffers.

Soon, your car will likely leave you on the side of the road with a dead battery and an alternator that can't generate enough power to keep the engine running.

Yes, take your car to an AutoZone or Pep Boys and have them check the alternator for you before you purchase one. Chances are it'll check out as bad.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Krenath,Apr 2 2007, 09:52 AM
The alternator provides the power to the car's electrical systems when the engine is running and also charges the battery.

When the engine isn't running, or the alternator isn't putting out enough power, the battery has to supply the power to run the car and the lights and the stereo. As the battery discharges, there isn't enough power to run the spark plugs, lights, and stereo system all at once, so when the stereo system draws power for that thumping bass, something suffers.

Soon, your car will likely leave you on the side of the road with a dead battery and an alternator that can't generate enough power to keep the engine running.

Yes, take your car to an AutoZone or Pep Boys and have them check the alternator for you before you purchase one. Chances are it'll check out as bad.
thanks...i'll ask my local Kragen to check out my alternator.

another question is:

-what makes the alternator go bad?

-how long do alternators last before they go bad, on average?
Old 04-02-2007, 10:45 AM

I don't know what makes alternators go bad but I imagine the S2000's unique 9000RPM redline has something to do with it.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:58 AM

I don't know what makes alternators go bad but I imagine the S2000's unique 9000RPM redline has something to do with it.

I'm also not sure what empties my gas tank every 240 miles but i suppose the S2000's unique 9K redline has something to do with it also?

I've also heard that that same redline has something to do with my brake pads wearing off and with my clutch having to be replaced after 70K miles.

This damn unique redline. No other car ever had an alternator go bad because they don't have unique redlines like my S does. damn car.

Alternator is a wear item. like everything else it will fail at some point in time. Kinda like a waterpump. It's not wear and tear item like a brake pad but it is a part of your engine that is always in use, from the moment you start it until you shut it off. There's no telling when it fails or what the cause is. I'm sure some super gearhead can explain the process of a failing alternator, it surely has nothing to do with the 9K redline. There's also plenty of cases where the voltage regulator has failed, allowing you to only replace that part and not the entire alternator.

By the way, no pun intended
Old 04-02-2007, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by silencertk,Apr 2 2007, 11:58 AM

I'm also not sure what empties my gas tank every 240 miles but i suppose the S2000's unique 9K redline has something to do with it also?

I've also heard that that same redline has something to do with my brake pads wearing off and with my clutch having to be replaced after 70K miles.

This damn unique redline. No other car ever had an alternator go bad because they don't have unique redlines like my S does. damn car.

Alternator is a wear item. like everything else it will fail at some point in time. Kinda like a waterpump. It's not wear and tear item like a brake pad but it is a part of your engine that is always in use, from the moment you start it until you shut it off. There's no telling when it fails or what the cause is. I'm sure some super gearhead can explain the process of a failing alternator, it surely has nothing to do with the 9K redline. There's also plenty of cases where the voltage regulator has failed, allowing you to only replace that part and not the entire alternator.

By the way, no pun intended
thanks.

no offense 90crvtec, but a lot of your posts is just repeating what other people say - whether or not it is relevant to the current post/topic at hand.

i saw someone else post somewhere "the 9K redline has something to do with it" then i see you post it here.

there are also other threads where it seems you repeat statements from other topics and post them in a different topic...wierd.

Quick Reply: Speedometer gauge flicker