S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Speed-shifting the S2000

Old 03-03-2009, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pfspeeddemon,
I think the "speed shifting" you speak of is different than the one many of the members here are talking about.

You're talking about shifting without letting off the gas between changes, many other members are talking about shifting without using the clutch pedal.

As for your method of speed shifting, you ever watch professional racing on TV where they have the in-cabin cameras? In many racing series even the pros don't "speed shift".

Granted, you're talking about a drag strip, not a circuit. But magazines that report perfornance figures (Motor Trend, Car and Driver, Road and Track, etc) all shift without "speed shifting".
Old 03-03-2009, 10:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here are the dog cut gears in a BMW for you pfspeeddemon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmJH84FnQa8
Old 03-03-2009, 10:43 AM

Hi ts80,

I have picked up on that. Some weren't understanding at all and I told them that I was referring to shifting without letting off the gas between changes. Shifting without using the clutch pedal is another method but not necessarily to be used for racing(handy when your clutch is out of action!).

I have seen in-cabin footage of race-car drives in action and indeed many don't use this method of shifting but on a dragstrip it does come in handy to give you a little extra kick to edge forward of the competition.

After what I'm reading here, I won't be doing it in th S. Too damned risky imo.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:44 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by ts80,Mar 3 2009, 02:39 PM
You're talking about shifting without letting off the gas between changes, many other members are talking about shifting without using the clutch pedal.
Speed shift with no clutch huh?

Good luck with THAT.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:53 AM

Ha Ha ! Good vid, istdercollen ! That's a racing gearbox there, complete with sequential shifter ! If I had that in the S then I would need the race circuit to able to drive the car on it...not in Malta or in my Maltese lifetime I don't think ! LOL !
Old 03-03-2009, 10:53 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by moogleii,Mar 2 2009, 03:38 PM
If I've got it wrong, someone chime in, but that's my understanding of how the CDV works.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/CDV.htm

I'm also skeptical about the flywheel weight being a significant factor without knowing how much PSI the OEM PP exerts. FYI, it was more like a 50% increase, not a 100% increase in weight. That and max rpm was dropped. But my physics is pretty rusty these days.
Pop the clutch on a 4k shift, and tell me if you feel any delay. The delay is not the issue, the lack of grip between clutch disc and pp is.

The original pp was designed for the AP1 14lb flywheel. In 2004 Honda increased the flywheel weight 150% but did not beef up the pp. Max rpm is lower, but piston speed/powertrain speed is the same.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:59 AM

Hey Saki GT ! This is quite a thread we've got going on here ! I'm going with your advice. Don't want to break the car for just a little bit of dragstrip bravado

Listen, I've PM'd you about the use of Silkolene Pro Boost Octane Booster a day or two ago but I still haven't had your feedback. I would appreciate your valid advice.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Mar 3 2009, 02:44 PM
Speed shift with no clutch huh?

Good luck with THAT.

It's a lost art...
I could never do it though. I do know some gearheads that can pull it off in almost any car they drive. But if you do it wrong you get some nice long gear grinding action.

Drive an old car with no synchros and you'll see what I mean. Shifting with no clutch uses similar technique to shifting in a car with no synchros.

A buddy of mine had 140k on his WRX and that's the only way he shifted. when driving aggressively. Felt smoother than using a clutch pedal when accelerating hard.

I, on the other hand...tried it maybe a dozen times on various beaters and failed terribly every time...
Old 03-03-2009, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by pfspeeddemon,Mar 2 2009, 11:49 PM
To amirite: Speed-shifting (a.k.a. race-changing etc. depending on which part of the world you're from) = changing gears fast and without taking your foot off the gas pedal.
LOL. F that.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:14 PM

Quick Reply: Speed-shifting the S2000