S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Speed-shifting the S2000

Old 02-21-2009, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C7 JFW,Feb 19 2009, 02:18 PM
i dunno what the hell you call a speed shift..

but i'd imagine it's shifting fast.

and if you don't think you can shift fast, you need to re-evaluate your driving technique.. cos i can shift real fast with the gearbox in the s, but it takes talent & practice.
as meantioned, this is predominantly a ap2 issues, due to the flywheel change. you can do it no problem in your ap1.

and i too and quite mixed up on what everyone calls speed shifting. to me it sounds like just shifting quickly, while it seems like others are taking it as power shifting.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have fun amigo
Old 03-01-2009, 09:17 PM

If u know what ur doing then just do it...cuz last time I've checked I never heard dealer say this car is made for drag same goes for "drifting car" a car is a car if u know what ur doing then u should be fine...but as for me I would love to take out porsh etc on curvs every day
Old 03-01-2009, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by pfspeeddemon,Feb 18 2009, 11:41 AM
IYes, you're right it is an awesome car and I still love it although I've been unlucky with it but believe me, when some punk kid, pulls up beside you in a cheaper, reliable, highly souped-up car on the drag strip all you want to do is beat the pants off him and knowing that the S2K is fragile doesn't inspire confidence in taking up the challenge.
ok speed shifting is not good in ANY STOCK CAR and also if you wanna beat some one that has put time and money in their car for the soul reason of going fast. then go buy a lambo or something. theres no way a stock s2k is gonna beat a hopped up sti or evo. shit for that matter a stock evo or sti will beat a stock s2k. but that said i didnt buy my ap1 for drag nor time attack racing. i bought it cause its a beautiful car and i can throw the top down and go for a nice long cruse and yes handling like a go kart is a plus but after all you just dont buy a car for 1 main reason. the s2k is a good all around car its got decent power, great handling, great looks, fairly not much to repair, and most of all ITS A HONDA man. so all that said the s2k is a good car and if you wanna speed shift it go buy a bad ass clutch kit then you wont have to worry about shit
Old 03-01-2009, 10:36 PM

red 2000 s2k : I bought " a bad ass clutch kit" and the local Honda dealership screwed it up for me (see previous posts). I bought the car for the same reasons you have mentioned but since we only have a drag strip here where to try out our cars, not having a comp clutch makes one wary about how much you can trash the car.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:55 PM

yes but why trash your car. and who cares about the young punk with the fast car. mommy and daddy probley bought it for him anyway. shit he'll have it around a tree or something in the near future anyway lol ****ing ricers rofl. and i also only have a drag track where i live and i couldnt really care less. and yea it sucks about the whole dealer issue but hey lesson well learned right? lol just buy another one and take it to your local performance shop. but yea if you want a car to just beat the shit outta it then the s2k is not for you my friend. for that matter i really dont even know of a nice fast sports car that you can just trash and it still be relieable.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:16 PM

and yes i will agree with the notch 1st when its cold but for the notch 2nd and weak clutch i have not had a problem with either now understand that i drive it like its suppost to be driven and on the weekend i hit up a local spot in my town where we street race and as far as banging gears go i havent had a problem. so as far as the weak clutch issue, if your still stock or only have say intake,headers,exhaust i think the clutch will do ok( if driven sensible) cause think about it as long as honda as been out and as much knowledge as they have in the racing world i really dont think they would just throw any ol shitty clutch in one of their cars especially in their top model sports car and we all know that honda is well known for their reliability. right?
Old 03-02-2009, 07:09 AM

red 2000 s2k : Thanks, your posts make interesting reading. The "just buy another one and take it to your local performance shop" doesn't exist for me...I am not loaded !

I'll try to think about what you said about the young punk...unfortunately he works with me and his bragging in the office is rather annoying... but I'll soon reverse the tables...I was loaded with fuel when we last raced. I've beaten him before so it can be done again.

The word around here in Malta about S2K's is indeed an "ol shitty clutch " even in the hands of a sensible driver and rest assured I am a sensible driver, that's why I worry. My S is bone-stock.

I've solved the notch 2nd gear problem when cold for the first 20-30 mins by double-clutching. It works a treat
Old 03-02-2009, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by pfspeeddemon,Mar 2 2009, 08:09 AM
red 2000 s2k : Thanks, your posts make interesting reading. The "just buy another one and take it to your local performance shop" doesn't exist for me...I am not loaded !

I'll try to think about what you said about the young punk...unfortunately he works with me and his bragging in the office is rather annoying... but I'll soon reverse the tables...I was loaded with fuel when we last raced. I've beaten him before so it can be done again.

The word around here in Malta about S2K's is indeed an "ol shitty clutch " even in the hands of a sensible driver and rest assured I am a sensible driver, that's why I worry. My S is bone-stock.

I've solved the notch 2nd gear problem when cold for the first 20-30 mins by double-clutching. It works a treat
hey, sorry off topic real quick. Is malta the place where they have the mountain and special water? I Read it in the Wind up Bird cronicle. Is it true?
Old 03-02-2009, 10:38 AM

I disagree about the CDV. I believe ditching it should help you. The cdv delays engagement of the clutch over a certain fixed time, so if full disengagement is exerting 0 psi, and full engagement is exerting 400 psi (totally made up numbers), the more time you spend in between, the less time you're at max psi. Why spend more time in partial engagement? Slippage occurs due to loss of traction, be it the tires of your car or your clutch. And "gripping" force due to friction comes from perpendicularly applied force (the weight of your car/downforce or your pressure plate).

If I've got it wrong, someone chime in, but that's my understanding of how the CDV works.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/CDV.htm

I'm also skeptical about the flywheel weight being a significant factor without knowing how much PSI the OEM PP exerts. FYI, it was more like a 50% increase, not a 100% increase in weight. That and max rpm was dropped. But my physics is pretty rusty these days.

Quick Reply: Speed-shifting the S2000