S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Speed-shifting the S2000

Old 02-20-2009, 06:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As long as you have the clutch pedal all the way to the floor before slamming the next gear, you'll be fine.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:53 AM

dparm : Do you really think so considering that most of the posts in this thread are to the contrary?

Saki GT's comment, especially, makes technical sense as to why we shouldn't do it on the AP2.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by dparm,Feb 20 2009, 11:30 AM
As long as you have the clutch pedal all the way to the floor before slamming the next gear, you'll be fine.
You are so confident with your factually inaccurate information.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:03 AM

the s2000 is a purpose built machine. components have been engineered to perform for that purpose. strong enough to do what it needs to, but not overbuilt for other uses (or stupidity) to gain the weight savings in order to meet the original purpose.

this is a light weight fighter. handles like a dream, "best gearbox ever" as far as smooth and speed, and enough power to keep you at the head of the pack.

A dragster, it is not. A luxury cruiser, it is not. But as far as a 2dr sports car, it is very competitive. Both in ability and in price.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:29 AM

Apparently people are unable to pick up on my sarcasm.

If you beat the shit out of the car, it's going to break.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:03 PM

I really don't think of the S2K as any more frail than a Ferrari. You can still do fast shifts for fun straight line driving without keeping you foot on the gas pedal. It obviously wont be exactly as quick, but I don't know of any factory cars that can hold up to that abuse for too long.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:11 PM

I just came up with the answer to all of your life's problems. Put the S2K on a boat and ship it North to Sicily. Bring a camera, and a friend (preferably a good looking girl) Then drive this, and report back with images:

I guarantee you won't regret buying your car.

For those of you who don't know, this is the route to the old Targa Florio. One of the worlds great road races. This is generally considered one of the best driving experiences in the world and its not too far away from him.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are very misinformed my friend. I beat the living shit out of my S and it holds up to every second of it. No Audi will do that, no MINI will do that, infact most cars wont do that with the exception of a few like the STI for example. Speed shifting the S2000 is not going to make you faster, learn how to shift as smooth and fast as possible and youll go faster. Speed shifting anything will tear the clutch apart, I dunno where you get your info but unless were talking honda civics, I wouldnt speed shift anything.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:30 AM

Hi Dr. Strangelove : I am aware of the Targa Florio. I am aware of the many nice street circuits that they have there. We Maltese are quite well reknowned for our driving prowess amongst the Sicilians. We get invited to compete with the Sicilians in hill-climb and track events and we are doing very well. The Maltese guys who go to race over there are all well-to-do individuals...me, on the other hand, I am just an average income earner and I cannot afford the expense. I appreciated your post and was quite amused with it. Tx

Hi S2Kage : It could be that I am being influenced by all "the misinformation" (?) I might be getting when I read about S2K's having weak clutches, trannies and diffs off the forums on this site. I tend to be influenced by what I read off this site because of the bad experience I have had with the clutch when I had just bought the car. Heck ! I'm influenced by what you've just told me and tomorrow I'm going to beat the shit out of it on our dragstrip ! (seriously now, I going to do so not because of what you told me but because I too can't accept that the S is so fragile !!). Tx for your post.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:51 PM

as saki gt said, the flywheel is too heavy. change out your flywheel for a lighter unit, and get an ACT pressure plate. problem will be solved, and you will be able to shift as quick as you please, without the slippage of the clutch. you will be much faster in between shifts.

Quick Reply: Speed-shifting the S2000