S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Sparkplugs

Old 11-19-2010, 04:56 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

About $9/plug off amazon if memory serves me.

They cam gapped and gapping plugs is not required. You'll screw up the tips
Old 11-20-2010, 05:09 AM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Originally Posted by NFR_AP2,Nov 19 2010, 08:28 PM
are you guys saying the only spark plugs we should be buying is from honda because they come pre-gapped??
I think what they mean is that if you want to buy the oem plugs which are double platinum they should be pre-gapped as you can mess up the coating on the tips by gapping. Plus a lot of guys don't know how to gap plugs gently enough and they can often break and damage the fragile plat. tips.

Saying that I think if you are buying an Iridium plug or some other type of plug I don't see a problem in gapping them. I've gapped hundreds of plugs over the years on much more demanding engines than this one, and I've never had an electrode issue with any plug I've used. I currently run the NGK Iridium plug on my S2k which I gapped and it runs great, they don't seen to have the tip issues some of the plat. plugs do.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:06 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Just for fun

When people talk about the coating of the NGK PFR7G-11S sparkplugs they mean the small platinum plate that is laser welded on the ground elektrode.
This is according to NGK, you know, the people that make the plug.
NGK extreme life plug. By using the highest platinum content in the industry, NGK has created an extremely long life spark plug. Laser welded platinum tip on center electrode and platinum tip on the ground electrode. The center electrode is taper cut which aids in focusing the spark while reducing the voltage necessary to start the combustion process, this will provide better throttle response, improve efficiency and allow a smoother idle. Stainless steel washer reduces plug self-backing.
Actualy, there is a platinum tip on the center elektrode as well.
I guess its also laser welded on allthough NGK is not clear about it.

It looks like this:

And... also according to NGK they come gapped at 0.043" or 1.1mm.
That is the spec mentioned in my owners manual.
In full : gap 1.1mm +0 / -0.1
So any gap between 1.0mm and 1.1mm is fine.
That said, if you put them in at 1.1mm, any wear will make it out of spec.

IMO, based on just one time gapping of older worn PFR7G-11S plugs, if you bend the ground elektrode at the base of the bend without disturbing the flat spot where the platinum plate is, you can re-gap them.
Edit: the manual does state not to, twice, so.... maybe not, only if you really want to or something.Also be carefull measuring, don't force the feeler gauge in between the center elektrode and the ground elektrode and wipe off that thin plate (or plates).

If either of the two loosen during driving you would have to be lucky to not score a cylinder wall.

edit: few typo's, nothing serious.

P.S. What I payed for 4 new plugs last time?
Nothing!
The dealer had my car registration wrong (L =/ J) for a while, as soon as they fixed that, the computer sysytem spewed out a recall: seat belt retractors and sparkplugs.
So they gave me 4 new sparkplugs, for free!
OEM part# 06122-PCX-306

Old 11-20-2010, 07:04 AM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Great info and pic SpitfireS. Yeah when they warn against gapping the plugs it is to avoid damage to the two small discs, some people gap plugs with gorilla force and it can create problems. It is a good general warning to the public as there could be a high percentage of vehicle ownwers who could mess things up. It does not mean the plugs can't be re-gapped if it is done by someone who knows what they are doing.

That's a nice picture of the plug, the platinum is on the tip of the center electrode, copper center with platinum fused onto the end, as well as the ground electrode. Designed for long term use and wear.

I put my plugs in at .043" because I check them twice a year, and I don't mind replacing them every couple years or less if needed. I think you'll get better performance and mileage at .043" rather than .039" of the recommended spec. but that is just my opinion. My NGK Iridiums work flawlessly at this setting. Regardless of our compression ratio I think this motor can still run fine at .043". Oddly enough my turbo Dodge comes from the factory with gaps of .054" at 14 psi of boost, and it ran perfectly well.

The service limit on our OEM plugs is .051", so technically you don't have to replace them until that point. They lilkely put them in at .039"m because they intend the average user to use the plugs for 100,000+ miles, so that gives them some time to enlarge up to the service limit of .051" through center electrode erosion. Like I mentioned earlier my oem factory plugs had opened up to over .051" at 55k miles (7 years old) as the center electrode had shortened.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run NGK Copper V-Power plugs in all my cars.Good,cheap,found anywhere and last about 20k miles.

Since a plug change is a 30min,$8 job....why not do it often.

My 03S2K likes either BKR7E or 6E.Gap=.044.

As always,IMO.
\rlr
carolina
Old 11-21-2010, 01:14 PM

Received 248 Likes on 177 Posts

I just got my "S" but I want to change my plugs so I know their be good for years to come.
I'm looking at two plugs, first is the Denso SK22PR-M11S and the NGK IFR7G-11KS. I like the Iridium plugs and use them in all my vehicles, gives me better gas mileage, better power and easier starting. The fine wire center electrode(0.4 to 0.7mm) makes for a very hot spark with the same volts as compared to the cheap plugs with the big center electrode(2.0 to 2.5mm). We have put 100k miles on two sets of Iridium plugs in my super charged 3.8 that gets 11 pounds of boost. At the end of 100k miles the center electrode looked just like a new one but the ground electrode was shot(was not Platinum tipped) the gap had opened up to over.075 from .060 stock.

ROD
Old 11-21-2010, 05:14 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

normal ngk all the way
Old 11-23-2010, 06:16 PM

Sorry I haven't posted update until now.Been outa pocket a few days. Anyhoo ....went down to Napa last week to pick the set of plugs up they had ordered for me. I brought my indexed feelers with me to inspect the gap before I bought them. All four NGK PFR7G-11S out of the box were gapped to .040" excatly. So I bought and installed them and walked away contented.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by hecash,Nov 23 2010, 09:51 PM
FWIW on my MY04

www.bkhondaparts.com

98079-571BH SPARK PLUG (PFR7G-11S) (NGK) $13.76
98079-571CH SPARK PLUG (PK22PR-L11S) (DENSO) $13.76
When I picked the plugs up at Napa I had commented to the lady parts person that these are the most expensive plugs I'd ever bought.When she was ringing them up she said she was just going to give them to me at $12.50 ea. and she also gave me a classic car calendar. I guess she felt bad about the price too.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:25 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

These are old plugs (duh) that I was using until today.
The platinum on the ground electrode is still all there.
On the center electrode it seems to be all gone.
No point in keeping 4 new plugs in storage if the ones you use look like this.. is there?

The car felt a little better in low revs & load with fresh plugs.
Not too much difference though.

Quick Reply: Sparkplugs