S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

spark plugs

Old 04-25-2011, 01:16 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Like I said before, your butt dyno is fine. But there is no 3rd party, repeatable testing to confirm any advantage.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:22 PM

Received 243 Likes on 182 Posts

No one is bashing the product. They are only telling the truth in that there is apparently NO EVIDENCE whatsoever that there is any improvment from these plugs includin from you other than you saying so. Classic bullshit.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by SheDrivesIt
No one is bashing the product. They are only telling the truth in that there is apparently NO EVIDENCE whatsoever that there is any improvment from these plugs includin from you other than you saying so. Classic bullshit.
Thank you!
Old 04-25-2011, 08:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is plenty of evidence all over the internet that they work, you just refuse to believe the validity of it, just because they don't dyno it 50 times to prove it.
http://www.sparkplugs.com/sparkplug4...SRT%2D4&mfid=0
http://www.betrmpg.com/Corvette02DynoGraph.jpg
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/att..._325i_dyno.jpg
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...ar-test-2.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdFJiqA64vk

and last but not least: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSFFDoCKaDM LOL
Old 04-28-2011, 11:24 AM

Haha, the video's were pretty funny. (I assume you sent both of them as a joke. The second one obviously was, they first one...well, our cars have a 0-60 time varying from 5.3 to 6.4 depending on the driver, etc, so the increase in 0-60 time of the Celica was within statistical tolerances.

The test from sparkplugs.com was statistically insignificant and invalid as well. They mention an average hp increase of 3.03 and torque of 3.1. If you look at the results of the tests, the hp varied 5hp just between the three tests! And the torque by 9lb-ft between the three tests. Again, that means the increases are statistically invalid.

Same for betrmpg. The variance between runs was 13hp!!!! So, again, no statistical difference.

The one from the M5 board, it doesn't mention it but peak increase in hp was 3.7% and torque 1.1%. Again, within the variability of the dyno itself. No statistical difference.

Use the plugs if you want. No harm. But you can make numbers seem like whatever you want. They want you to believe their claims and buy their product. But, if you are trained to observe statistics and testing methods, you can see these tests are all statically insignificant.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronnuke
Originally Posted by DR. FEINSTONE' timestamp='1303669963' post='20502026

I had the copper version of the pulstar plug on the car, according to pulstar, they said it is good for 4 years or 50,000 miles. I recently replaced it with the same copper version. The old plugs were fine but they all had increased gaps(from 0.40-0.48) which were normal for being in there during 40,000 miles endurance.

I aslo had pulstar plugs on my daily commute 2005 honda crv-ex, I had it for about 30,000 miles and I did not see any major power gained or increase gas mileage. I also plan to replace them at 40,000 miles.
Try the new BE1i Iridium version. They are 100000 mile plugs. That is what I am running and they are great so far. They have eliminated my hesitation problems from a stop, and drivability is improved across entire RPM range.

Iridium version will last longer than copper version, but copper version has better burn(fuel ignition) and overall performance than iridium version.

One major con is that copper tip will corrode a lot faster than iridium. Thus most spark plugs with copper tip need to be replaced around 30,000 miles for best result. Honda s2000 is probably one of the easiest car to change spark plugs.

If you are happy with the iridium version and it works out best for you then go for it.

I forgot to mention that I had the pulstar copper version on my weekend 2005 honda s2000 along with okada plasma direct ignition coils, interstate megatron 500 cca battery, royal purple, amsoil, eneos, castro edge synthetic engine oil, asmoil tranny, mobil 1, royal purple diff. oil with wedssport tc 105 wheels and a bunch of enhanced modifications. The car has about 27,500 miles so far and with pulstar and okada plasma coils for about 12,000 miles.

It has much better throttle response and engine sounds are smoother. As I mentioned in the previous post, I do not have dyno machine to document hp and gas mileage gain. But one thing is certain on my s2000 and the crv, there are no decrease in hp and gas milage. I drove these cars daily and weekend. If there are any gain, 3-5 hp and or 3-5 increase in gas mileage on a 10-12 gallon of gasoline is reasonable expectation and still within maginal error.

Gas mileage is hard to calculate and evaluate in the real world driving due to variable factors like temperature, humidity, elevation, traffic pattern, engine condition, fluids viscosity(dyno oil v.s synthetic), wheel & tire combination and driver driving habit.

On my s2000, I do not see any gain in gas mileage because I drive the car hard, but on the crv-ex with regular daily route; I average 3-6 miles increase in gas mileage on a 12 gallons tank. Which is not a lot but some small gains are better than nothing. Though, I want to say that regardless of the wheel and tire combo, and choice spark plugs, if you are sitting on a heavy traffic; you will get 0 mileage of gasoline to a gallon.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shop dynos have too many variables going. Wind blows in the other door of the shop, against the flow of air from the fan, atmospheric changes, barometric differences, etc. Then there is heat soak.

The best way is to pull an engine, with a few dozen thousand miles on it, and use an engine dyno, instead of chassis dyno. In a closed building, stable temperature, etc.

Has someone ever done this? It costs a lot of money, a dozen thou$and, maybe. But whenever Pulsar would hear of a test like that coming up, they would (maybe): 1. Threaten a defamation lawsuit. 2. Maybe - 'contribute' funds towards the expenses of the test.

And if anyone had done such a test, they didn't publish it. Because any publisher will know the possible consequences. See 1.

How about this simple test: inject a 14.7:1 air:fuel mix into a chamber, compress it, and ignite it. measure the explosion with a little g-shock sensor, kinda like the ones 'Myth Busters' use. Then switch sparkplugs, repeat, measure. It's simple, really. Anyone?
Old 09-25-2011, 08:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pulse plugs still performing flawlessly....6 months and 14000 miles later. I will keep you posted.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:27 PM

This is me weighing in:

In my naiveté I decided to try out these iridium pulse plugs instead of doing the sensible thing and buy the NGKs I have been using in all of my cars since the beginning of time. Just installed them and got them torqued down and everything and was all giddy. Then I drove. No improvements over the NGK-Rs. Period. These things might make it 5k miles in my car just because I feel guilty for spending the money on them. If anything the lack of peace of mind that comes with the NGKs made the 'butt dyno' say I was going slower.

As long as these bad boys don't melt inside of there I will be fine, but damn I feel like a fool for buying them even if it was just to try them out. I feel like I have thrown brand loyalty away even though I have always been a huge patron of sticking to the people who have always worked for you.

PLEASE don't buy these. Just do the smart thing and buy the NGKs we have all been using in our cars forever.

I know I might rub the two people who think these things are 'friggin siiccckkk' wrong, but I really don't care. This is the truth from someone who owns them.
NGK-R + Peace of mind + Proven quality = FTW
Old 12-13-2012, 09:36 AM

Update. They made it a whopping 12 hours before being replaced with NGKs. If anyone wants to try their butt dyno on the pulse plugs PM me. Couldn't get rid of them sooner.