S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

spark plugs

Old 04-23-2011, 08:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davidc1
Your butt dyno is directly coorelated with the increase cost you spend on something....

If is sounds to good to be true, it is to good to be true....

This is about the 24,567th new spark plug version I've seen that claims increase power, torque, mpg, throttle response, etc, that I've seen since the 1973 gas crisis...

Don't you think that if something like this was true that one of the major plug manufactures would buy them out so they could market the hell out of it and make millions? But they don't....wonder why?
Yeah, my increase cost was a whopping $3.56 for the set, (as I said earlier)
My point is that I feel an increase with the Pulstar plugs in responsiveness, torque, and horsepower that I did not feel when the NGK's were new. I have had to replace the NGK's now due to a misfire after only ~55000 miles. But if you want to keep your OEM payphone, you go right ahead. I am happy with my new smartphone.
I don't need any dyno sheets from the manufacturer or any third party to tell me what works for my vehicle. I buy what I want and try it out myself, and I try to help others who may be wondering if they work as advertised. I am here to tell you that they indeed do work as advertised. Believe what you want.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry i think that affect can be achieved with a fresh set of OEM plugs. I understand you wanna help others but saying you felt a difference and "butt dyno" agrees is just not acceptable. We need third party testing and data. You could be convincing someone who doesn't really know to buy a product that may not be the product they think they're buying.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by blkwidow
Sorry i think that affect can be achieved with a fresh set of OEM plugs. I understand you wanna help others but saying you felt a difference and "butt dyno" agrees is just not acceptable. We need third party testing and data. You could be convincing someone who doesn't really know to buy a product that may not be the product they think they're buying.
That's just it.....I did NOT experience the same affect from a fresh set of OEM plugs. I would have been happy to have, but it just did not happen. That is my point I have been trying to make all along. There is all kinds of third party testing and data available, which shows that these pulse plugs make more horsepower and torque (one which says 7% more HP and 11% more torque specifically in an AP2), but the people who swear by OEM will just discount that by saying the third party was paid off by the manufacturer......

I am offering a third party opinion that is not paid by the manufacturer, someone who actually has these installed in my vehicle, tried them myself and experienced a better drivability than with OEM. As always YMMV.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:31 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry Ronnuke,

I didn't really mean to direct my post at you in particular. No offense intended.

I guess my point was that this crap just isn't true. It's as simple as that. We've heard it all before a million times.

Perhaps the term "butt dyno" isn't clear. The whole point of that term, the whole reason it was coined, is to describe that the effect someone feels from whatever modification they've done, is that it's all in their head, not in the car.

Hey, butt that's OK, as long as somebody doesn't waste their money, or hurt their car, it's all good.

Regarding the third party data the manufacture states, please reread my post. The third party data is invalid. It's not reproducible. The magazine that mentioned the 7%/11% increase stated they were extremely surprised and would followup with more tests and data from other cars, but...it's not there. There's a reason for that.

I'm not one to say OEM is always best, but I am one to say if it sounds too good to be true, it is too good to be true. If it was true, why isn't anyone else doing it? If it is true, why aren't the major plug manufactures doing it so they can market it and make huge amounts of money?

Just stuff to think about...
Old 04-24-2011, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it is an interesting debate about pulstar plug

I had these plugs on my girlfriend 2004 toyota rav-4 sport edition for about 40,000 miles and during the time she had these plugs on her car, she did not see any major gain or loss of power and gas increase on these plugs.

I had the copper version of the pulstar plug on the car, according to pulstar, they said it is good for 4 years or 50,000 miles. I recently replaced it with the same copper version. The old plugs were fine but they all had increased gaps(from 0.40-0.48) which were normal for being in there during 40,000 miles endurance.

I drove the car from Virgina to Orlando and Miami, I did feel the car had good throttle response compare to denso or ngk she had on the car. In fairness, pulstar does have some R&D on these plugs. The company use to be associated with direct hit which required the plug to be connected with an amplifier or some sort of wire attachments. But they improved by having the pulse circuit built-into the plug compare to a conventional plug mechanism.

Mordern cars have advanced ecu and other electronic sensors which control and regulate ignition, as far as combustion process. I am not an engineer on this subject(I am in health care business) but I did some researches on pulstar and decided to test them out. Thus, whatever pulstar claimed might not be true, but one thing for certain is that they product has potential.

I aslo had pulstar plugs on my daily commute 2005 honda crv-ex, I had it for about 30,000 miles and I did not see any major power gained or increase gas mileage. I also plan to replace them at 40,000 miles.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:55 PM

While the power gains and gas mileage gains may not be "major" they are at least gains....and the price is only barely over what the OEM plugs cost to replace so why not go with the gains for what little it costs?

I know of people on these boards who have spent much more for less gains, i.e. CAI's, Cat-backs...etc.
Myself included by the way...
Old 04-24-2011, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by davidc1
Sorry Ronnuke,

I didn't really mean to direct my post at you in particular. No offense intended.

I guess my point was that this crap just isn't true. It's as simple as that. We've heard it all before a million times.

Perhaps the term "butt dyno" isn't clear. The whole point of that term, the whole reason it was coined, is to describe that the effect someone feels from whatever modification they've done, is that it's all in their head, not in the car.

Hey, butt that's OK, as long as somebody doesn't waste their money, or hurt their car, it's all good.

Regarding the third party data the manufacture states, please reread my post. The third party data is invalid. It's not reproducible. The magazine that mentioned the 7%/11% increase stated they were extremely surprised and would followup with more tests and data from other cars, but...it's not there. There's a reason for that.

I'm not one to say OEM is always best, but I am one to say if it sounds too good to be true, it is too good to be true. If it was true, why isn't anyone else doing it? If it is true, why aren't the major plug manufactures doing it so they can market it and make huge amounts of money?

In response to your question extracted from another S2000 forum from a representative of EnerpulseThis is a quote from before the new 100000 mile iridium pulse plug was developed)

When crazy gains show up on a particular platform, it is common to hear from forum junkies the question of “why isn’t an OEM using these.” To answer that question, I’ll simply say that we have spent a ton of money getting into the OEM testing requirements. They want a 100,000 mile plug, and I showed Daniel a plug that had seen 100,000 miles simulated WOT when he was here. That plug is one of the keys to our OEM program. We are currently in testing with various automotive OEMs and Honda is one of them. Most of the OEMs could care less about the horsepower improvements with our plugs, they are far more concerned with the ultra lean burn improvements, as that’s where the future of fuel economy is going to go for anything that is still equipped with a spark plug.

Not to mention that they own the Patents on the Pulse plug......

The third party was a member of the other S2000 forum and used his own personal vehicle for the testing, which the magazine then used his data....
Old 04-24-2011, 09:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is where the small HP gains are coming from with the Pulstar: Its spark is hotter. Therefore, upon appearance in the combustion chamber, it reaches igniting temperature a bit earlier than its NGK or Denso counterpart. The end result: tiny ignition timing advance. We're talking 2HP here, makes sense, since it's only a tiny, maybe 1/5th of a degree advance.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by ronnuke
While the power gains and gas mileage gains may not be "major" they are at least gains....and the price is only barely over what the OEM plugs cost to replace so why not go with the gains for what little it costs?

I know of people on these boards who have spent much more for less gains, i.e. CAI's, Cat-backs...etc.
Myself included by the way...

There aren't any gains. Its BS. But since it doesn't cost much more, go ahead, use 'em. I've got no problem with that. They haven't proved anything. Their testing isn't repeatable. It doesn't stand the test of peer review.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by ronnuke
Originally Posted by davidc1' timestamp='1303669908' post='20502022
Sorry Ronnuke,

In response to your question extracted from another S2000 forum from a representative of EnerpulseThis is a quote from before the new 100000 mile iridium pulse plug was developed)

When crazy gains show up on a particular platform, it is common to hear from forum junkies the question of “why isn’t an OEM using these.” To answer that question, I’ll simply say that we have spent a ton of money getting into the OEM testing requirements. They want a 100,000 mile plug, and I showed Daniel a plug that had seen 100,000 miles simulated WOT when he was here. That plug is one of the keys to our OEM program. We are currently in testing with various automotive OEMs and Honda is one of them. Most of the OEMs could care less about the horsepower improvements with our plugs, they are far more concerned with the ultra lean burn improvements, as that’s where the future of fuel economy is going to go for anything that is still equipped with a spark plug.

Not to mention that they own the Patents on the Pulse plug......

The third party was a member of the other S2000 forum and used his own personal vehicle for the testing, which the magazine then used his data....
I didn't ask why OEM aren't using them. As stated above OEM's aren't concerned about a little extra hp, they are concerned about mpg and emmissions.

I meant why aren't major manufacturers of replacement plugs coming out with this design?

Quick Reply: spark plugs