S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

spark plugs

Old 06-25-2010, 06:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a general rule,I change them every 10k.They are cheap and since it takes only 30 min,why not.

They look good when I pull 'em.Gray/Tan & Dry.

\rlr
Carolina
Old 06-25-2010, 12:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen people with original plugs at over 100k miles. I personally change mine at every oil change but being turbo charged changes some maintenance schedules.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thankyou all for the input. Thanks for the test rsults on the Pulstar plugs, s2kris. Given the positive hp gain of 7%and gas milage increase of 12% and the 11% increase in torque, this seems like something to entertain. Does anyone think that these plugs might damage the engine?
Old 06-26-2010, 04:44 PM

they are claiming that but what if they dyno it 1st with worn out crappy plugs lol
Old 06-27-2010, 04:45 AM

Be careful believing HP claims about plugs.The purpose of a plug is to ignite the charge and dissipate heat,based on the heat range of a plug.

Mfg's sometimes(often?) exagerate claims....I would like to see an independent lab results.

\rlr
Carolina
Old 06-27-2010, 07:03 AM

If you believe their claims of improved performance, install a set. I'll wager that you'll perceive an improvement, whether or not there is actually any measurable improvement.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Park Place,Jun 26 2010, 12:01 PM
Thankyou all for the input. Thanks for the test rsults on the Pulstar plugs, s2kris. Given the positive hp gain of 7%and gas milage increase of 12% and the 11% increase in torque, this seems like something to entertain. Does anyone think that these plugs might damage the engine?
Dyno it and see. Don't speculate. These are better gains than a CAI and a TP...lolz.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From someone who actually has a set of Pulstar Be-1i's installed right now..........
These spark plugs DO improve throttle response dramatically, compared to recently new NGK iridium plugs that I removed. I can only assume the improved throttle response would translate into modest HP/torque gains as well. Gas mileage improvement yet to be seen as this is my first tank since installing them. I will report back. I tried the original BE-1 plugs when they came out and experienced gains then, but those plugs wore out (gap grew too wide) too soon. Then I heard of the new improved model with iridium tip. Model BE-1i. So I gave them a second chance. So far so good, and at the new price (about half of what first version cost) which is comparable to the price of new NGK's I figured why not. I adjusted the gap to .041" on all 4 plugs (they came with .040" gap). Reset ECM and did idle learn procedure. It is important to install these plugs carefully using traditional "spark plug socket" only to initially install the plugs into their holes finger tight then use a regular deep well socket to finish tightening them to 20ft-lbs.
The new style plugs have improved the junction between the metal hex and the ceramic insulator, (there is not such a gap between them as the old style). I believe this would make them less prone to breakage during install, but I took no chances and installed them as I described above. I say if it is time to change your plugs and you have a decision to make whether to get NGK iridiums or Pulstar Be-1i iridiums, I would recommend the Pulstars at this price, since I have gotten better performance at about the same price (the NGK's are $3.56 cheaper a set)
Old 04-19-2011, 09:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was curious myself if the Pulstar plugs were any good so i decided to gogle reviews on it a while ago. Although i dont remember if any of the people had s2000's, i DO remember that many had negative stories about the ill-effects these plugs had on their motors. Misfires, rough idling, horrible MPG's etc....
In the end, a spark plug is just a spark plug. If you expect to increase power from it than your fooling yourself. Be safe and stick with OEM...
Old 04-19-2011, 09:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most of the stories I have heard from people with the problems you cited are from improper installation, (breaking, or cracking the insulator during install due to using the "spark plug" socket to install and torque down the plugs) Which will definately cause misfires and bad gas mileage running on less than all 4 cylinders.

Quick Reply: spark plugs