S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Spark Plugs

Old 02-03-2014, 05:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 05thumper
Originally Posted by FastCarIndustries' timestamp='1391404628' post='22995918
Always anti-seize
Very poor advice. If you don't know then don't provide recommendations.
Now there are a few schools of thought on this topic. Your are incorrect to say "poor advice" but I am curious to hear you qualify your statement. I know that even the spark plug manufacturers take different positions on this topic. So let's be clear that there is no "right answer" to this or "poor advice"
Old 02-03-2014, 05:11 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

NGK already comes with anti seize....
Old 02-03-2014, 05:42 AM

Yes, lots of NGK models do come with anti-seize. So to do other brands. Usually the only ones that come without are the plugs with a Zinc-chromate plaiting on them. True that Zinc plateing is technically a lubricant, myself and thousands of other engine builders feel that anti seize is critical in any bi-metal situation. Especially those that experience rapid thermal shifts or high friction. Spark plug threads have a lot of abuse to take, first you have the dissimilar rates of expansion and contraction between an aluminum head and a steel plug, then you factor in the harmonic resonance that any engine creates and the F20c is notorious for. On top of all that we must remember that these are service threads. Many of the bolts in our cars will only be run one time (at the factory) the plug treads are subject to many uses over a cars lifespan. That is why I say, avoided galling threads and go ahed and use anti-seize. A little dab will do ya'
Old 02-03-2014, 07:53 AM

Received 1,649 Likes on 980 Posts

Originally Posted by FastCarIndustries
Yes, lots of NGK models do come with anti-seize. So to do other brands. Usually the only ones that come without are the plugs with a Zinc-chromate plaiting on them. True that Zinc plateing is technically a lubricant, myself and thousands of other engine builders feel that anti seize is critical in any bi-metal situation. Especially those that experience rapid thermal shifts or high friction. Spark plug threads have a lot of abuse to take, first you have the dissimilar rates of expansion and contraction between an aluminum head and a steel plug, then you factor in the harmonic resonance that any engine creates and the F20c is notorious for. On top of all that we must remember that these are service threads. Many of the bolts in our cars will only be run one time (at the factory) the plug treads are subject to many uses over a cars lifespan. That is why I say, avoided galling threads and go ahed and use anti-seize. A little dab will do ya'
I am curious about the claims (I think it was the KGK website) of manufactures (for those specific spark plugs with the coating) that make a point of stating anti seize should NOT be used as it promotes over-torquing and failure of the crush washers (If I am not mistaken-its been a few weeks since I read that). It seems to me the manufacturer of such products would be very familiar with consumer use of those said products and would make sure they are promulgating sound advice. Its not just a "our product is better than their product" but an operational aspect of that specific item.

I respect your experience your experience with engine building but I would think NGK would have one heck of a data base for NGK spark plugs failures and successes.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
Originally Posted by FastCarIndustries' timestamp='1391438563' post='22996310
I am curious about the claims (I think it was the KGK website) of manufactures (for those specific spark plugs with the coating) that make a point of stating anti seize should NOT be used as it promotes over-torquing and failure of the crush washers (If I am not mistaken-its been a few weeks since I read that). It seems to me the manufacturer of such products would be very familiar with consumer use of those said products and would make sure they are promulgating sound advice. Its not just a "our product is better than their product" but an operational aspect of that specific item.

I respect your experience your experience with engine building but I would think NGK would have one heck of a data base for NGK spark plugs failures and successes.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:07 AM

You are absolutely correct. NGK does provide a document online (in PDF form) that does state that anti seize can promote over torquing. They go even further to show photos of plugs that are twisted off at the base.
And on the very next page they go on to illustrate the correct usage of compound on non plaited plugs.