S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Spark Plug Recall?

Old 09-25-2003, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks
Old 03-13-2010, 06:22 PM

i have a 2000 ap1 i just bought, im curious if they did this checkup on my car...could someone point me in the right direction! what steps should i take lol!!!
Old 03-13-2010, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by tony2k,Mar 13 2010, 07:22 PM
i have a 2000 ap1 i just bought, im curious if they did this checkup on my car...could someone point me in the right direction! what steps should i take lol!!!
I doubt that your car qualifies for this recall, seeing that this TSB was issued almost a decade ago. Your car may have this TSB performed, but you will need to check with the service department that performed this procedure. One way to find out is to check out your service invoices or service records you have. Or call the dealer that your car was serviced at.

If in doubt, you could go into any auto parts store and order new NGK spark plugs for your vehicle if you are concerned. The NGK plugs currently available for the S2000 are very likely the correct parts and comply with the new standards.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:17 PM

thankyou. new to the s2k myself, dream come true i guess but i wanna make sure that i take the right steps...ive been swapping integras and civics seince ive been 18 lol i love hondas what can i say
Old 03-13-2010, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by tony2k,Mar 13 2010, 08:17 PM
thankyou. new to the s2k myself, dream come true i guess but i wanna make sure that i take the right steps...ive been swapping integras and civics seince ive been 18 lol i love hondas what can i say
Cool, no worries! Congratulations on your S2000. I used to own one a while ago. Been owning various cars as well in between. Now that the S2000 is getting so cheap I decide to jump in on one again myself, and hence why I am here posting.

I am currently shopping for an S2000. The first thing I would do to it if I buy an older AP1 is to get new spark plugs, new water pump, new thermostat, new radiator, new belts, and a new timing belt tensioner. I just hope that I don't end up with one with a cracked head or blown head gasket lol...
Old 03-14-2010, 06:29 AM

i almost forgot that the radiator was replaced also. the timeing belt and tensoner w the water pump is on my to do list lol
Old 03-14-2010, 07:21 AM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

castamir's advice is good but perhaps a little over the top (in my opinion). I would recommend new spark-plugs and an inspection of the timing chain; the rest of that stuff I wouldn't do. I would also recommend a complete replacement of all teh fluids in the car (oil, diff, tranny, clutch, and brake, especially) unless you have specific records from the prev. owner. Final point, with an early year S, you MUST keep a constant eye on oil level. Every fill up is good. Don't overfill, but expect to lose up to a quart every 1K miles. It's *normal* for this engine, so don't sweat it; just don't get caught dry.

When you replace the plugs, heed the REVISED torque of (I think) around 18 - 20lb-ft. The original specification was around 13 and that was too low. That was really the whole push behind this plug replacement recall, although they did use new plugs as well.

In all 93K+ miles of my original ownership, the only failure I've had has been a coil pack which made my engine stutter until I diagnosed it and replaced it.

Oh, and there's no timing belt on these engines. Just have the chain tensioner looked at. You may also need a valve adjustment in time if you're hearing any clacking from the engine. These motors aren't exactly quiet though, even when they're running perfectly.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:45 AM

nice! your very knolagable lol i love this webcite!
Old 03-14-2010, 11:04 AM

LOL yeah I meant timing chain tensioner!!! I will probably not replace it if the AP1 I purchase doesn't have much chain noises. It's scary seeing how easy the piston could fall off... lol

I remember my Y2K AP1 being quite reliable, with the exception that the transmission exhibited ALL the problems listed in various TSB's (Grinding 2nd, Popping out of 4th, clutch buzzing out of control, shifter bushing broke to pieces and required lubing). Otherwise the engine seemed pretty good.

The guy who bought my S2K experienced cracked upper radiator end tank a year after the purchase. He replaced the upper tank at the Honda Store for $210. At that time, aftermarket performance or OEM replacement radiators for the S2K weren't readily available, so the dealer was the only option. But a year later, the bottom end tank cracked. He bought a generic one on eBay and haven't had problems for 5 years!!!

One thing I notice is that the Mishimoto radiators are giving a few people on here problems. Having read the thread on Mishimoto rads, I still cannot gather why some people are experiencing cooling problems with the Mishi rads. If I were to replace my radiator I will probably consider something from KOYO. I haven't seen much issues with Koyo.

Honda waterpumps from my experience are very durable and well built. I think most Honda waterpumps use KOYO bearings on the Honda waterpumps. The seals and gaskets on Honda waterpumps are also much better and more silica resistant than those from Honda and Toyota. I might not have to replace it, I will check the condition of my waterpump pulley as many people seem to have failed pulleys giving them some cooling issues.

Coilpacks are some of the things that often go wrong randomly. The funny thing is that the coilpacks on the same car could have very different life spans. One coil pack could last up to 160k miles, while another one in the same engine could fail at around 50k. You never know. A dying coil pack usually don't throw CEL codes either until it is almost completely dead. The best idea is to replace one as it dies, instead of replacing them all at once because coil packs are expensive items. On other cars, removing the coilpacks cover helps cool down the coils to prolong their life. I wonder if this works on the S2k.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:13 PM

damn dude how do u kno so much about these cars lmao! thats awesome!