S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Spark plug problem

Old 05-25-2010, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plug problem

I ran into a problem with my S2k, I found out that the one of the ignition coil went bad and I ordered a new one, still waiting for it to come in. but when I removed the spark plug I noticed the end where the spark gets arched from is missing on the spark plug. somehow it fell inside the engine somewhere. I'm a little nervous and worried about how much damage could occur if I don't remove it. I had asked my engineer at work and he tells me that I should'nt worry too much because the oil should flush it on it's way to the oil pan and out as I remove the oil. Is this true or should I worry and try to get the piece out? Please help, I can't sleep because of this
Old 05-25-2010, 09:33 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

If I were you Id pull the head and get that piece out. If you continue to start the motor that little piece will destroy your cylinder walls, pistons and possibly even the head and valves.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:46 AM

Or at the least, turn it over with the plug out to blow the piece out.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:52 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

lol...

that piece is long gone. It left via the exhaust valve.

id pull the head, not to find the piece, (it wont be there) but to put new valves in it and have a valve job cut. Little things like that tend to trash valves and valve seats.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the engine run fine? Then you're probably fine and the piece left via the exhaust valve as mentioned above. You can always do a compression check to see if a valve isn't sealing.

If you're sure it happened as you removed the spark plug, then take a shopvac hose and stick it down the spark plug tube to suck out the piece.

Taking the head off is IMO overkill if the engine runs fine.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:49 AM

I'm waiting for my ignition coil to come in and then I can detect wether or not the engine runs fine. I don't think i'm going to remove the head off the car, that seems like a lot to do. I was thinking about finding a way to shoot compress air into the chambers and hopefully it'll fly right out. I should sue NGK for this shit. I've never heard of this ever happening before.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:44 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by spets,May 25 2010, 11:00 AM
Does the engine run fine? Then you're probably fine and the piece left via the exhaust valve as mentioned above. You can always do a compression check to see if a valve isn't sealing.

If you're sure it happened as you removed the spark plug, then take a shopvac hose and stick it down the spark plug tube to suck out the piece.

Taking the head off is IMO overkill if the engine runs fine.
I'm thinking this is better advice. It's what I'd do.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:52 AM

If you mean the center electrode on the plug it may have simply disintegrated due to the bad coil pack. I had that problem on cylinder 4 a couple of months ago and we never found the tip. Then again it may have gone out the exhaust valve.

At any rate the compression test was fine.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you try to gap the plugs before installing them? This is a no no for this exact reason. The laser platinum plugs are prone to break if you try to gap them yourselves. Make sure they are the proper gap from the factory, or don't buy them.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:57 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

compression test probably wont show a beat up valve seat or a slightly bent valve, you'd have to do a leak down.

Quick Reply: Spark plug problem