S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Spark plug electrode - BROKE OFF in #1

Old 08-14-2005, 10:17 AM

Received 1,396 Likes on 837 Posts

Those numbers are not good.

I'd say if you're lucky, you've got some mechanical valve seat damage.

That doesn't explain the readings in cyl 2 though....LEAN is coming to mind here.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:28 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

No luck on the tape-thing, nor can I "feel" that there is anything in there.

I don't have a laptop yet. If I uploaded from my AEM to a desktop taken into the garage, would I be able to pull up recent datalogging or is that something that has to be setup first?

Also, didn't know if you saw a possible explanation to my potentially lean situation.

The plugs also got lighter as they progressed to the #4 plug. I'm thinking this was in compensation for the #1 not being able to burn all its fuel. The wideband read a certain condition(rich) and the EMS adjusted accordingly. I run in closed loop when under normal(low-load) conditions.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by billman250,Aug 14 2005, 01:17 PM
Those numbers are not good.

I'd say if you're lucky, you've got some mechanical valve seat damage.

That doesn't explain the readings in cyl 2 though....LEAN is coming to mind here.
Well, what do you think, Bill? Should I throw the plugs in and re-charge the battery via some low-load driving? Should I lug the entire computer out to the garage? Better yet, should I hang myself or jump from someplace high?

I'm thinking the hanging would create less of a mess.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:06 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That just looks like detonation to me.. that fragment of plug was probably reduced to slag and exited the exhaust. Seen it before on other cars often accompanied by other damage. When you get it running again you need to look at your state of tune.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:43 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

PM fperra, or maybe he might chime in.
I read his post a while back when the spark plug porcelain part broke off into his engine (I think it was all 4).
Or if the search works check it out.
May be some hope for you.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My guess is that at some point, someone dropped the plug, or improperly gapped it, damaging or weakening the electrode.

This is a rare occurrence, even for a SC'd car. I heard some N-D Iridiums had this happen pretty early on, but at the center electrode, not the - .
Old 08-14-2005, 01:27 PM

Well, after not being able to find the missing piece and reading some more comments here, I elected to install new plugs and see what I had.

Car feels wrong and sounds abnormal. I pulled her back in the garage. Man, I wish I had a laptop.
Old 08-14-2005, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same thing happen with my 944. After having routine service done (tuneup) I checked my plugs about 5 weeks later during service I would do at home. Turns out the plug the garage used had broke off in the cylinder and I went off the chain. Try as I may I never found any parts (of course not DOH!) but the top end went south on that motor about 6 months later. I won't use those types of plugs anymore in my cars.
Old 08-14-2005, 03:27 PM

Sounds like detonation to me too, just use Greddy Iridiums.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:53 PM

Spend a weekend in your garage and pull the head. Or have someone do it for you. Before you do that though, order a new head gasket, exhaust manifold gasket and intake manifold gasket. Until you pull the head you are not going to know what you have wrong. After all the porcelain disappeared from four Denso iridium plugs on mine, I had no choice but to pull the head and face the music. Fortunately, in my case, no damage. I guess the porcelain just turned to dust. Probably what I get for cleaning them by sand blasting.

Quick Reply: Spark plug electrode - BROKE OFF in #1