S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Spark plug cover removal gone wrong.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:56 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Spark plug cover removal gone wrong.

Oh what a mess I have here.

It only started when I felt one day that I should probably replace my spark plugs.. Okay, cool. Nice and simple. Lets just undo this little spark plug cover, right quick. Or nah.

The four bolts I needed to remove:

Name:  tD5MYkm.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  451.3 KB

I ensured the allen wrench was sitting nice and tight into the hex bolts but they literally must have been torqued to 400 lbs. After an incredible hulk effort.. the hex head is stripped.. but this is only the beginning of a messy situation.

Soon after, I purchased one of those easy out screw/bolt removal tools and, get this, the bolts was in SO TIGHT that it broke the screw extractor off into the hex bolt.

I think, "Man, alright, this isn't going to be fun", I resort to a little more drilling and another effort at extracting the screw so i could get this stubborn spark plug cover off.

After many more failed attempts at drilling/extracting the bolt, which was pretty much destroyed at this point, I say let;s just cut this thing off.

Took a dremel all the way around each corner so that at the very least, can change my plugs.. I think I may want an entirely new valve cover and spark plug cover to ever get it looking right again.

Spark plug cover removal gone wrong.-ctchsq8.jpg

Please note, I had never tightened the bolts. This is my first time attempting to remove them. Whatever shop/factory tightened these bolts, got them WAY to tight. Please only resort to this method if you absolutely have to.

Any ideas as to how I could get the rest of it off?
Old 09-30-2014, 12:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel like I'm looking at a Gore thread or something...

That really sucks man, whoever torqued those bolts down that tight in the first place must be a colossal idiot.

Edit: Honestly unless someone here has a better idea, it would probably be easiest/cleanest to just replace the entire valve cover at this point.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

drill an tap out the bolts.. might work..on another note.. you maybe could have heatgunned the valve cover around each bolt, then aircanned froze the bolt and it might'a just walked out
Old 09-30-2014, 12:21 PM

^ Yeah drill and tap.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:34 PM

Received 1,529 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Dude! Super OUCH!!!

Were you able to get the spark plugs out, in one piece? This is prolly the most $$$ set of plug changes you've ever done. Follow the heating advice. JOC, that was a 5mm allen head wrench you used? Not some US sized hex head wrench, which almost fit. I've twisted cheap allen head wrenches, like spaghetti noodles. But, never stripped out the bolt.

Used to race Honda CR250 and 500's. And all engine cover bolts were allen head. Using quality tools and doing removal while engine is hot helped to overcome electrolysis effect "welding" the steel bolt to magnesium & aluminum alloy cases. I applied moly grease to threads when re-tightening, to help avoid future headaches.

Good luck with your fix.

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Honda-...ds=moly+grease
Old 09-30-2014, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Chance S2K
I feel like I'm looking at a Gore thread or something...

That really sucks man, whoever torqued those bolts down that tight in the first place must be a colossal idiot.

Edit: Honestly unless someone here has a better idea, it would probably be easiest/cleanest to just replace the entire valve cover at this point.
Yes, this is quite hard to look at! I'm pretty sure I'll have to end up getting taking the whole valve cover off and replacing it. I guess this will be my excuse to go flashy with a nicely colored valve and spark plug cover!

Originally Posted by windhund116
Dude! Super OUCH!!!

Were you able to get the spark plugs out, in one piece? This is prolly the most $$$ set of plug changes you've ever done. Follow the heating advice. JOC, that was a 5mm allen head wrench you used? Not some US sized hex head wrench, which almost fit. I've twisted cheap allen head wrenches, like spaghetti noodles. But, never stripped out the bolt.

Used to race Honda CR250 and 500's. And all engine cover bolts were allen head. Using quality tools and doing removal while engine is hot helped to overcome electrolysis effect "welding" the steel bolt to magnesium & aluminum alloy cases. I applied moly grease to threads when re-tightening, to help avoid future headaches.

Good luck with your fix.

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Honda-...ds=moly+grease
Thanks, I haven't tried to remove the plugs yet as there are metal shavings that fell around the base of the coil packs. I don't want those to fall in. I'll clean it up and then it looks like the plugs will come out with no problem. I made sure to use the 5mm metric wrench but it seems like the wrench was made out a harder metal which kinda chewed up the hex head. I'll have to be more cautious next time. lol
Old 09-30-2014, 04:36 PM

I snorted when I scrolled down from the picture where you circled the bolts to where you have to cut through.

Previous owner must have been completely incompetent...
Old 09-30-2014, 04:45 PM

Props on cutting the cover. kinda did what you had to do.

My neighbors corvette hood wouldn't open. We tried everything and he said after a little while, "il drill a hole into the hood if I have to". We drilled a few holes and finally got the damn hood open lol.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by civdaddy
Props on cutting the cover. kinda did what you had to do.

My neighbors corvette hood wouldn't open. We tried everything and he said after a little while, "il drill a hole into the hood if I have to". We drilled a few holes and finally got the damn hood open lol.
You gotta do what you gotta do! Luckily nothing else was accidentally cut while I was trying to remove the cover and it actually turned out to be a nice solution given the circumstances.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:58 PM

Received 3,740 Likes on 2,644 Posts

The underside of the bolts corrode to the spark plug cover, they weren't necessarily over-torqued in the past. They can be really hard to get off with just an allen key once they corrode in place. I switched to stainless replacement bolts and I still put anti-sieze under each bolt head where they contact the spark plug cover, and threads.

Quick Reply: Spark plug cover removal gone wrong.