S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Spark plug asploded

Old 07-23-2005, 12:42 PM
jbc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dealer came back with a no help answer after discussion with his district rep who was at a regional meeting and discussed it with his manager/others for these reasons:
1. car past warranty (5 years 58k miles)
2. I was told to take to dealer and didn't (it had already been towed, after engine light came on while on the freeway) to my local garage. I requested them to send someone to the garage as it I didn't want to drive it. I also told them I did not have happy experiences with Honda dealers. I was not allowed to test drive the S2k and back in 86 I thought I wanted to buy a CRX and was told I couldn't test drive it unless I wanted to buy it that day. (Why do I keep coming back?!)
3. I was told not to authorize the other garage to work on it ( I had already authorized the work the day before.
4. I was notified by mail of the recall and the letter was not returned (they assumed I got it but didn't); info was also on their website under owners link but I can not find it anywhere. Only one website even has it listed but couldn't pull any info about it as "Honda doesn't share information"
5. There were parts missing so they couldn't inspect all of them. A large box of parts was dropped off with the car when it was towed form the local garage. Tow truck driver was told to leave then by the wall. Service advisor found them when I told him where they were. Service Manager not advised all parts accounted for.
6. The problem with the spark plug resulting in the recall was that the spark plug worked loose and would lay on top of what ever it sit on (sorry I can't remember the terminology he used, maybe the coil?) it would not "melt" and parts of it and the coil drop down into the cylinder.
I asked the service manager what he would do it it was his car and he was not working for a honda dealer and replied he's put in a used engine with similar milage. He is getting me a price to do this.
If I had it all to do over I would have towed from the local garage to the dealer before tearing into the engine but no 2nd chances here.
slh7d would you be willing to give me the name of the dealer that agreed to fix you and foot the bill? I'm about to write a letter...
Old 07-23-2005, 05:37 PM

wow, that sounds like a nasty ordeal having your plug asplode ...
asplode as in asplosion?
Old 07-23-2005, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by stitos2k,Jul 22 2005, 02:19 PM
Call the dealer and ask for all records for the vehicle maintenance. Any maintenace done at a honda dealer gets recorded into a database, so they should be able to tell you if it was done or not. If they can't provide written proof the tsb being done then make them do it. As a certified vehicle they should have done the tsb.
Then call your attorney
Old 07-23-2005, 06:03 PM

Does anyone have a link to this TSB? What exactly is the problem...the plugs or the coils? My car is an '01 with 46K and I don't want any more problems with my car.
Old 07-23-2005, 06:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

this is not a TSB. This is a RECALL. your dealer will know if it is done.

basically, the torque specs for the plugs were wrong and they could start backing out and/or vibrating.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by steven975,Jul 23 2005, 08:44 PM
this is not a TSB. This is a RECALL. your dealer will know if it is done.

basically, the torque specs for the plugs were wrong and they could start backing out and/or vibrating.
THat and I believe the new plugs have a different washer design/material.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:31 AM

I also hadthe same problem w/MY01. # 4 plug backed out and half the coilpack disintergrated. My local dealer's service manager ran the VIN #, found out that the TSB had been done. I am second owner, car has 25,000 miles. I live in NH, car bought new south of Boston, MASS. My service manager tod e to take car to origional dealer, then walked back into his office. What a jerk!!! Sparkplug hole threads damaged at the very least. Tried a thread tap, but no luck. I guess that I have to contact Honda directly.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by jbc,Jul 23 2005, 02:42 PM
slh7d would you be willing to give me the name of the dealer that agreed to fix you and foot the bill? I'm about to write a letter...
Sent you a PM
Old 07-24-2005, 08:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EXACT same thing happened to me 3-4 months ago. They just slapped on a "timecert" and said my car was okay again! I called and complained Honda USA and complained, they called the dealer and they said they could do nothing. The more I think about it, the more pissed at get.

Should I get a leakdown and pressure test done on my car?
If I did should I do it at the dealership or at an independant shop?
After this amount of time, could I still go back and complain if I found something?

-Jeff
Old 07-26-2005, 08:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BUMP!

Quick Reply: Spark plug asploded