S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Spark plug asploded

Old 07-20-2005, 12:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

you sure the cylinder wall is not scored?

I would only confirm that with YOUR eyes, btw.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, they just called. they are replacing the whole engine.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:19 PM

The extent of the damage does not surprise me at all, but damn, you caught Honda in one helluva generous mood. Congratulations and enjoy. (Good to see them stepping up.) 2 for Honda.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:01 PM
jbc

I don't seem to be as lucky. My 2000 s2k's engine light came on and I immediately pulled over and had it towed to my local garage. They investigated, computer dianogtiscs and found misfiring in cylinders 2 and 3. 2 checked out ok but 3 was a problem. It seems the spark plug had a meltdown and the treads are gone as well as part of the coil. I'm told i need a new engine... Called Honda who told me to take it to a Honda dealer, I told them to send someone to look at it as I couldn't tow the car again (I have less than pleasing treatment form my local dealer when trying to by a car). They assigned a case # and said a case manager would call in a day or two. I authorized the garage to keep working and find the extent of the damage. Honda now claims since they did not have a chance to inspect the car they will offer no goodwill assistance. None of my service was done at a dealer; the car has 57000 miles. Any suggestions of what to do next? The car is now at a Honda dealer.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:07 AM

Are you the original owner and are you sure the car was never in their possession after the TSB was released in 2002? If so, all I can think of is legal action. It wasn't a recall so Honda (conveniently) wasn't responsible for getting the car worked on. I would argue they at least have a responsibility to notify the owner and leave it in their court. I may not have a clear understanding of the whole TSB issue so maybe someone else can chime in here. Either way Honda has left themselves a nice little way out in your case, I just don't know if a court would see it the same way they do. Good luck.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:23 AM
jbc

I am the original owner and I am reluctant to take legal action until it is the very last resort if at all(my own personal bias). The Customer Relations people are standing by their "no help" position but the dealer's service people are reviewing it with the district service manager to determine their position.
I did have my engine problem slightly incorrect. It was the spark plug and coil pack from the #2 cylinder that malfunctioned and parts of both are missing and assumed to have dropped into that cylinder. The cylinder #3 is also damaged but the spark plug and coil pack are intact. Sorry for the mis-information, I'm know very little about the workings of a car engine or any engine for that matter.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:05 PM

I just bought a 2002 with 12k on the ticker....I got it from a Honda dealership and its Certified. How can I tell whether or not this TSB was done? Since it was honda certified is it a good chance. I dont want to assume anything cause we all know what Assume =
Old 07-22-2005, 12:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call the dealer and ask for all records for the vehicle maintenance. Any maintenace done at a honda dealer gets recorded into a database, so they should be able to tell you if it was done or not. If they can't provide written proof the tsb being done then make them do it. As a certified vehicle they should have done the tsb.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by jbc,Jul 22 2005, 01:23 PM
I am the original owner and I am reluctant to take legal action until it is the very last resort if at all(my own personal bias). The Customer Relations people are standing by their "no help" position but the dealer's service people are reviewing it with the district service manager to determine their position.
I did have my engine problem slightly incorrect. It was the spark plug and coil pack from the #2 cylinder that malfunctioned and parts of both are missing and assumed to have dropped into that cylinder. The cylinder #3 is also damaged but the spark plug and coil pack are intact. Sorry for the mis-information, I'm know very little about the workings of a car engine or any engine for that matter.
Sounds almost exactly what happened to me. I can't believe they are being a PITA just because you didnt tow it to a honda dealership first and have them open up the engine. Hopefully the dealership can get it straight. Mine has been great so far.
Old 07-23-2005, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by jbc,Jul 22 2005, 03:23 PM
I understand your reluctance to jump into the courts, however the mere mention of such action (when all other options have been exhausted) might get them to change their tune. If it were me looking at a 4k bill I would probably do it. If Honda is making no effort to contact their customers about a known defect that can lead to catastrophic engine failure then they are largely responsible for a resulting failure. Not everyone knows about this site or is a member of their local S2000 community so they may not know about this problem. The only out for them would be if they can prove they did contact an owner and that owner chose not to have the work done. I consider this common sense and would be very surprised if a court in it's right mind did not agree. I'm just saying, if it were me, I would be pissed. Don't get me wrong, I love my S and I love Honda, they have been very good to me for a decade and a half, but it is wrong to stick you with this, and the age of the car is not an issue.

Quick Reply: Spark plug asploded