S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Spal fan install help

Old 01-19-2016, 08:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Spal fan install help

[attachment=90002::]
Hey fellas .. Everything in this diagram looks pretty simple .. My question is the grey wire to the temp sending unit and the orange wire to the switched ignition .. Where exactly do you run those too ? And if I want to run a switch to turn fans on demand should i connect between grey wire ? Can I run a switch and also have it come on when it hits temp ? Thanks any info is appreciated ! And any other install tips could help as I found no threads on spal installs
Attached Thumbnails Spal fan install help-image-3555833486.jpg  
Old 01-20-2016, 05:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The gray wire (12V) triggers the relay to enable battery power to the fans. Simply tap the gray wire to your OEM fan harness Blue/Black or Blue/Yellow wire.
FYI - the radiator fan harness has a Blue/Black and Black wire. The AC fan harness has a Blue/Yellow and Black wire. You essentially want to use the wire which is NOT black (ground).

Why do you want a manual override switch? Let the system do it's thing autonomously. It works and no need to muck with it. But if you must, connect a single pole switch to both ends of the Temp switch (Green and Black wires).
Old 01-20-2016, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by 99SH
The gray wire (12V) triggers the relay to enable battery power to the fans. Simply tap the gray wire to your OEM fan harness Blue/Black or Blue/Yellow wire. FYI - the radiator fan harness has a Blue/Black and Black wire. The AC fan harness has a Blue/Yellow and Black wire. You essentially want to use the wire which is NOT black (ground). Why do you want a manual override switch? Let the system do it's thing autonomously. It works and no need to muck with it. But if you must, connect a single pole switch to both ends of the Temp switch (Green and Black wires).
thanks man this helps a lot ..
The temp switch wire green and black is on the oem harness ?
I wanted to have a switch to turn on when car is parked to prevent heatsoaking. ..
Not necessary ? This will be driver side fan only ..
Old 01-20-2016, 06:18 PM

Correct, if you short the two wires on the temp switch (harness side), the fans will turn on.

Like I said not necessary. You can cool the radiator all day, but since the vehicle is off the water pump is not turning and therefore the engine is still heat soaking.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:36 PM

Ok thanks man and if I hook to the green wire it will come on when my computer tells it too correct ?
Old 01-20-2016, 06:46 PM

If you hook what to the green wire?

The computer/ECU does not control the fans - the temp switch and AC switch do.

Edit: MY06 is when the ECU took control over the fans, no longer requiring a thermal switch.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:08 PM

The gray wire (12V) triggers the relay to enable battery power to the fans. Simply tap the gray wire to your OEM fan harness Blue/Black or Blue/Yellow wire. FYI - the radiator fan harness has a Blue/Black and Black wire. The AC fan harness has a Blue/Yellow and Black wire. You essentially want to use the wire which is NOT black (ground). Why do you want a manual override switch? Let the system do it's thing autonomously. It works and no need to muck with it. But if you must, connect a single pole switch to both ends of the Temp switch (Green and Black wires).
So there's the gray (temp sensor) wire that runs to the oem harness blue / black wire ... And the orange (switched ignition wire ) u can splice in on harness too ? Or has to run to the fuse box ?
Old 01-20-2016, 07:27 PM

The orange wire goes to a switched +12V output. Wherever you choose to splice, do what's necessary.

I do have a go-back. Your initial image was cut off and you didn't show the entire diagram, specifically the relay pictured at the bottom of the page. So looking at the entire image, the SPAL system is negative triggered. So you can't tap the gray wire to the Blue/Black wire, it needs to go thru another relay (just follow the diagram).

So you know, the relay coil is connected to the Orange and Gray wires. Orange will always be +12V (IGN ON). The Gray wire will have GND when fans are activated. The only way to get GND to the Gray wire is with a second relay (connected to the Blue/Black wire).
Old 01-21-2016, 05:24 AM

So here's an alternative to avoid using a 2nd relay.

Connect Orange wire to Ground
Connect Gray wire to Blue/Black wire

What you've essentially done is reversed the polarity on the coil. Assuming the relay doesn't have a blocking diode, you should be golden! Quick way to check is to connect the black connector to the relay. Then touch the orange wire to the battery negative terminal and gray wire to battery positive. You should hear the relay click.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:34 AM

So here's an alternative to avoid using a 2nd relay. Connect Orange wire to Ground Connect Gray wire to Blue/Black wire What you've essentially done is reversed the polarity on the coil. Assuming the relay doesn't have a blocking diode, you should be golden! Quick way to check is to connect the black connector to the relay. Then touch the orange wire to the battery negative terminal and gray wire to battery positive. You should hear the relay click.
Thanks for the help .. And hope this helps others ... I'll post some pics when I can for visual help

Quick Reply: Spal fan install help