S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Source & part number for NSK bearings?

Old 04-09-2020, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by freq
Yup, exactly what you can find on RockAuto for $27 plus shipping.
Is there a difference between this part number and 45BWD07B? I went to Honda to get the OEM bearing and that was the part number on the bearing.
Old 04-10-2020, 07:20 AM

Received 1,377 Likes on 1,029 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Is there a difference between this part number and 45BWD07B? I went to Honda to get the OEM bearing and that was the part number on the bearing.
1.) sup holmes

2.) There's no way to tell if an aftermarket NSK bearing is the same as a the NSK bearing you buy at a dealer.

It doesn't matter if the part number matches.

Usually the part number is stamped on ONE part of the bearing assembly. That doesn't mean all the other parts in the assembly are the same as the ones from Honda.

Suppliers like NSK build the bearing to Honda's spec when they supply the part to Honda. No deviations are allowed, including manufacturing location, assembly location, assembly process, and about 8,000,000,000 other things that Honda specs. This includes the specs for each individual component in the bearing assembly as well.

If the part is being sold aftermarket, NSK (or any company) can build and sell whatever they want.

If the bearing assembly number truly is the same as Honda's...it still doesn't mean the assembly was manufactured in the same location, under the same conditions, and with the same equipment as the dealership bearing.

Or, there is a teeeeny tiny chance that maybe their aftermarket version is indeed the same as a dealership part.

Roll them dice.

Not the same means, exactly that..."not the same". I'm not saying that's automatically a bad thing.

I would be a little leary to use an aftermarket OE replacement on a car I take to the track. But a NSK aftermarket bearing, paired with a quality hub would likely be totally fine on a DD.

But if you want the SAME as the factory part....buy it from a Honda dealer.

Last edited by B serious; 04-10-2020 at 07:29 AM.
Old 04-10-2020, 07:37 AM

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

A lot of times you see something to the effect of, ‘meets or exceeds OE specifications’. Does this not have any legality behind it ?
Old 04-10-2020, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by starchland
A lot of times you see something to the effect of, ‘meets or exceeds OE specifications’. Does this not have any legality behind it ?

Ask, which specifications?

Its usually bullshit...but technically true bullshit.

A random example, "our plastic packaging baggie is twice as thick as that spec'd by honda".

Even if we are talking about relevant specs, exceeding ONE spec doesn't make the overall part better. It may actually make it worse.

What if a supplier put an ultra hardened steel ball into the bearing...because the material exceeds the spec. But fail to address the more expensive roundness spec, and fail to address the bearing race hardening? End user still gets a pile of junk, right?

Most aftermarket clutch assemblies claim to meet or exceed OE spec, for example. Maybe its true for one component of the system. But the assembly/system is still junk overall.

Anyone can exceed one or two specs and still build a pile of garbage.

Or they're talking about a manufacturer spec from like 1960 that they've now exceeded with modern manufacturing methods.

Speaking on contemporary or modern cars...
If a parts company could make a part as good or better than a factory spec'd part...I am having a tough time seeing how they could sell it for less (or the same cost) as a factory part.

Dealer markup's are an outlier, obviously. But usually, you can find an online Honda dealer that will sell the part for some realm of fair pricing.

Last edited by B serious; 04-10-2020 at 08:19 AM.
Old 04-10-2020, 01:02 PM

Received 480 Likes on 392 Posts

Economies of scale, for example AP2 vs AP1 coil packs.
Old 04-10-2020, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Economies of scale, for example AP2 vs AP1 coil packs.
I'm sure people interchange them without issue.

However...

The AP1 and AP2 coilpack part numbers (OE and aftermarket) are still different to this day.

AP1 coilpacks are still more expensive, regardless if you buy them from Honda or anywhere else.

That would say that the AP2 coilpack is just cheaper to make for some unknown reason.

Idk if your example applies...

Old 04-12-2020, 03:54 AM

Received 480 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
I'm sure people interchange them without issue.

However...

The AP1 and AP2 coilpack part numbers (OE and aftermarket) are still different to this day.

AP1 coilpacks are still more expensive, regardless if you buy them from Honda or anywhere else.

That would say that the AP2 coilpack is just cheaper to make for some unknown reason.

Idk if your example applies...
Of course the AP1 pack was s2k specific. Thus the factory did not see a need to make a ton of them. Niche specialty car like the AP1 of which less than 100k were made. VS AP2 pack that also works on Civic CRV Acuras Accords and S2ks and anything else with a K series. Honda made millions of K series engines thus parts are cheaper. I can go to my local junkyard and find at least 5 K series motors, finding a wrecked S2k is getting harder and harder to do.
Old 04-15-2020, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Of course the AP1 pack was s2k specific. Thus the factory did not see a need to make a ton of them. Niche specialty car like the AP1 of which less than 100k were made. VS AP2 pack that also works on Civic CRV Acuras Accords and S2ks and anything else with a K series. Honda made millions of K series engines thus parts are cheaper. I can go to my local junkyard and find at least 5 K series motors, finding a wrecked S2k is getting harder and harder to do.

Well...the AP1 and AP2 coilpacks seem to work fine on F22 or F20 engines.

But...Honda and aftermarket companies are still (today) making 2 different coilpack PN's for F20's vs F22.

My point was that if "ecomies of scale" or standardization were the factors affecting price...why wouldn't everyone just consolidate PN's and use the same coilpack PN on F20/F22/K20/24/23?

There's *some* mysterious thing that makes the F20 coilpack cost more. It may have to do with some sort of sustained durability at 9K RPM or some weird EMC interference concern (just speculating).

Anyway, OEM's can adjust their pricing for standardization or improvement in manufacturing method too.

My statement still stands..
If the aftermarket could make a part that was truly better than the factory part...it would be difficult to do it for anywhere near the same price as the factory part....even after you factor in the OEM (not dealer) markup.

When you see a cheaper aftermarket alternative to a factory part, its almost always because they don't quite stack up to the factory part quality.
Old 07-21-2021, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Betty
did you end up using the bearing with part number 45BWD07B?