S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Sounds like car is supercharged

Old 02-05-2013, 08:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah thats what I was going to say. My car makes a simular sound but not supercharger whine.. Its a blow off valve sound and I am stock. Checked my lines and everything, it does it like 4-6k when I am shifting. Its not as loud as an actual blow off valve but still audible. Keeps me entertained though..
Old 02-05-2013, 10:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull the serpentine belt off and check your pullys.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

For the guys saying noise from speakers...just turn your radio off and see if the noise is still there. Easy way to rule that one out...
Old 02-05-2013, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by _brandon
Yeah thats what I was going to say. My car makes a simular sound but not supercharger whine.. Its a blow off valve sound and I am stock. Checked my lines and everything, it does it like 4-6k when I am shifting. Its not as loud as an actual blow off valve but still audible. Keeps me entertained though..

my old civic used to have the belt slip when the a/c was on and shifting at higher RPM, sounded like some shitty BOV and kept me entertained. now to a real forced set up... hmmmm
Old 02-05-2013, 09:25 PM

I believe its the air flowing over the throttle bodies, My S whistles (actually sounds similar to a supercharger) when you give it a little extra gas than normal. From research thats what people have told me.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:13 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just did a amp/speaker install on my car and have the same exact issue, a high pitched whine starting above 3-4k RPM and increasing in pitch/intensity as RPM increases. From the research I have done this morning it sounds like the main cause is a bad ground in the system. Did the shop ONLY install a head unit? Or did they install an amp, sub, speakers, or anything else? If its just the head unit, its possible that the head unit required a ground and they attached this ground to a bad spot. They would need to slide the head unit back out and get this ground running to a better location; a clean, paint-free metal surface on the chassis.

I am fairly certain this is my problem as well, as my amp ground is currently connecting to an existing bolt into the chassis, but I did not scrape the paint/coating off the chassis before securing the ground to it. I will report back after I correct this to let you know if it fixes my problem.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:47 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JMChristopher
Originally Posted by darcyw' timestamp='1360027317' post='22314598
...or your getting the high pitched wine from the stereo feedback into the speakers.

darcy
I think I have ruled that out too. It happens even when I turn the volume all the way down.
Dont just turn the volume down. Turn off your amp to check if the noise goes away.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:03 PM

its your diff!
Old 02-06-2013, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by NFR_AP2
For the guys saying noise from speakers...just turn your radio off and see if the noise is still there. Easy way to rule that one out...
I did exactly that. I turned the radio volume all the way down and it doesn't make the sound. Even with the volume up it doesn't always do it. It seems to do it mainly the firs time I past 4k-5k rpm. I always wait until the engine is at temp before going over 4k, so I don't know if it is temperature related.

I would post a video, but I need some one to sit in my car and hold my phone and record while i drive it or it doesn't turn out well enough.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:16 PM

lol.. its electrical distortion. i dont think the radio is properly grounded.

Quick Reply: Sounds like car is supercharged