S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

SOS please help: Random cyl misfire and fuel issue.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOS please help: Random cyl misfire and fuel issue.

LONG SHOT BUT HOPEFULLY ONE OF YOU GUYS WILL KNOW THE ANSWER ILL SHIP OVER A CASE OF BEER IF SOMEONE HELPS ME FIGURE OUT THE PROBLEM

Hey guys recently picked up another s2k well, about 2 months ago and i had noticed something strange.
The first couple of days i had the car, it felt like the car was misfiring and everytime i got in the car to start it i would notice that the engine light was not coming on at ignition 2 and turning off once the car is started up like usual (practically like all cars do right?) so i called the previous owner up to asking him shouldn't the engine light be coming on and turning off every time starting the car. He said that he wasn't sure and that the ap2 might not even do that. Being curious i ran a code reader on the car and it pulled up 5-6 codes (forgot what they were) but it was throwing random cylinder misfire i think it was misfiring 2-3-4 so i had ask a friend and he told me that it could possibly be the coils so i went and picked up an extra set of coils, changed them out, reset the light and drove the car for 30+ miles then i had ran the code reader again but this time it was misfiring 1-2-4. I thought that was strange so i pulled the coils one by one while the car was running and there were idle drops for each ones i pulled, from there i figured that it couldn't be the coils.
I was told numerous of things that it could be the EGR system being clogged, catathylic converter clogged, map sensor (changed the map sensor already and also did the wack method, oxygen sensors, fuel injectors.

Here are some strange signs that i also noticed maybe this would help or maybe it could be other problems on top that i need to fix.

-after gas goes near quarter tank it drops down dramatically (but between half and full it seems to be fine)

-in the morning of starting up and driving or maybe even starting up and driving in the heat/hot temps outside it idles rough so i can actually feel the misfire
and at night when its alittle cooler the car idles fine but i still notice the misfire but not as bad

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE someone please help me out here im really starting to worry and stress about this and as soon as i can ill throw the car back up on the code reader and see what codes it is throwing this time and update the post thanks in advance...
Old 09-10-2014, 09:43 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What was the first code? Fix the first code then reset the ecu and then go from there. The first code may have set the other codes.

As for the cel on n off during startup, the light bulb may have been taken out.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by franky
As for the cel on n off during startup, the light bulb may have been taken out.
That's my first thought on this. My AP2 turns the light on i'm pretty sure. I'm guessing that you got taken by the former owner

The Cat is easy to pull off and even tho it'll be as loud as heck, if it's clogged you would generally know right away. You'd notice it more at high revs though (no power at all) and not so much at idle.

Were the replacement coils new?
How do the plugs look?
Does it feel like it's down on power once you start driving or is it really just at idle?
Have you cleaned your IAC valve?

Knowing what ACTUAL codes is a real key here.... you're just shooting in the dark otherwise.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:27 PM

Misfire codes could be due to bad coils, partly clogged injectors, perhaps wires, old spark plugs, needing a valve adjustment, bad cylinder compression. There are a lot of variables. In my ap1 the CEL turns on and off, I think the majority of cars do this. I can't see why an AP2 would not.

When my car threw a misfire code the codes were p0301 p0303 p0303 p0304 and p1399. What is your sixth code?

What you could do is make a post in your regional section and see if someone could swap parts with you to diagnose the problem, e.g., swap fuel injectors
Old 09-11-2014, 05:41 PM
Community Organizer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

i have told you before if you want bring it to me and we can trouble shoot it I can check your valves and look at the plugs do a leakdown test. also if the car sat for long periods the fuel pump and injectors my have problems the pumps tend to get problematic if the fuel gets much older than a year or so let me know
Old 09-12-2014, 06:17 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Most of the time it's dirty fuel injectors
Old 09-12-2014, 06:54 AM

i think thats what he told me that the car was sitting for maybe a year or a good 6+ months, something like that.
I also noticed the lack of power i mean atleast when i first got the car i had got on it on the highway a couple of times and i can feel that there is power (thought it was running full potential) but yet i ran 2 friends and their completely stock ap2s not intentionally trying to race but just happen to be on the highway cruising somewhere and we would drop into 2nd gear i notice how bad they would pull on me at like 4th or 5th gear.

a friend told me to pull the injectors and clean them to soak them but how exactly do i clean them im not too much a very good dyi guy but i can learn he did not quite explain how or maybe i did not understood him.