S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

SOS flywheel came with oily coating and other flywheel Q's

Old 03-09-2012, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOS flywheel came with oily coating and other flywheel Q's

Ok, I searched but couldnt find exactly what i needed...

1. My sos flywheel came covered in Oil. Do i have to wipe the oil off before install?

2. Oem FW came with a metalic ring where the bolts go. Do i need to use that on the SOS FW. (havent ligned it up yet)

3. How do I align the flywheel and PP.

4. Any other tips or tricks for (a noob) installing the clutch, flywheel, pp combo?

TIA
Old 03-09-2012, 03:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use brake parts cleaner to clean the flywheel before install. It is especially critical to clean the mating surface between the flywheel and the crankshaft. If you don't clean that well, you run the risk of shearing flywheel bolts off. The oil is used to prevent the flywheel from corroding while in storage.

I use loctite on all of the flywheel and pressure plate bolts.

A good rule of thumb for any install is to pay close attention during disassembly.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes you need to clean the flywheel, Its just a coating they put on to avoid surface rust i think
The pressure plate (i think thats what u mean by PP) can go on a few different ways, and theyre all OK
usually the flywheel has alignment pins on it, if it doesnt you may need to take them out of your old flywheel and put them in new flywheel
then you put on pp aligning the bolt holes properly. Make sure you dont tighthen those pp bolts too hard. Look up the torque =, i dont think its very much. And make sure when your tightening the pp bolts, that you work them in each a little at a time, instead of fully tightening them one at a time. You dont want to strip the flywheel holes. And make sure you use the clutch alignment tool, and make sure that its definiterly centered, or itll be hard to get your trans back on!

I dont know if your supposed to use threadlock on those flywheel bolts, but its usually a good idea. Maybe someone else knows about that on these hondas. Also I dont know if your supposed to use that ring on the new flywheel. Was it between the flywheel and engine? If it was i wouldnt re use it, it was probably a shim if someone has done a clutch on it before, they may have had the flywheel machined, so they put a shim behind it. If it was between the flywheel and bolts, i would probably re use that. And make sure you torque the flywheel bolts also. !