S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Sooooo... Denso sucks

Old 09-17-2011, 10:03 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Honda has 2 part numbers for OEM plugs one is DENSO and the other NGK.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard of many cars that the tips broke off on the Denso plugs.I don't know what is best ( no one does!),but my 03S w/80k miles has liked the NGK Copper V groove plugs for a long time.

They are good,cheap and last about 20k miles.Since changing plugs is a 30min job....why not.

I run the BKR7E.Gap@44

\rlr
carolina
Old 09-17-2011, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dc2-2-ap1
Originally Posted by haywoodjablome' timestamp='1316271145' post='20981821
Nothing wrong with Denso plugs. OEM plugs are Denso plugs - platinum. The car is now 12 years since it's intro. How long does it take for people to realize that a stock S2000 doesn't like Iridium plugs. Plus, that oil leak has nothing to do with those plugs.
what are you talking about- the oem plugs are ngk iridiums. the f20 likes iridium- they usually act funny with platinum plugs.
Like everyone else has been saying, the spark plugs have nothing to do with your problem- you should have a leakdown test done to your motor. I would think the valve guides are shot based on how much oil is making it into your cylinder. how often do you have to put oil in between oil changes.
WRONG!!!! The S2000 has NEVER come from the factory with Iridium plugs. Go look at your owners manual and at the FAQs in these forums.
It's common knowledge the Ir plugs work for a short time and then produce a high rpm miss that doesn't throw a code. Go do your homework and you'll know what others are " talking about".

BTW, the Denso platinum plug was the predominant plug in the first S2000s produced and most are still running with them without issue. Honda only updated them with SS crush rings. They remained platinum. They did the same with the NGK platinums.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:59 AM

Received 3,765 Likes on 2,656 Posts

those are aftermarket iridium plugs, not the factory Denso Plats. The factory Denso plats are fine. The aftermarket Denso Iridiums use the thinnest center electrode of any plug in the world, and they have had issues with the electrodes breaking off due them being more fragile due to being very thin diameter. I run NGK Iridiums which use a thicker center electrode and are stronger, much lke CHampion Iridiums, and a couple others. I would not run Denso Iridiums personally, some of their problems also come from people trying the gap them and weakening the electrodes even further when compounded with super thin/ fragile electrodes.

I don't know what caused your problems, but I still would not run Denso Iridium plugs in my engines. I would assume your coil is pooched too, perhaps the sparkplug loosened up after installation, allowed combustion gasses to blow up into the coil and the carbon finally killed the sparkability. I'd bet money on that being the cause, since you did not see oil seepage in the tubes.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by haywoodjablome
Originally Posted by dc2-2-ap1' timestamp='1316272108' post='20981845
[quote name='haywoodjablome' timestamp='1316271145' post='20981821']
Nothing wrong with Denso plugs. OEM plugs are Denso plugs - platinum. The car is now 12 years since it's intro. How long does it take for people to realize that a stock S2000 doesn't like Iridium plugs. Plus, that oil leak has nothing to do with those plugs.
what are you talking about- the oem plugs are ngk iridiums. the f20 likes iridium- they usually act funny with platinum plugs.
Like everyone else has been saying, the spark plugs have nothing to do with your problem- you should have a leakdown test done to your motor. I would think the valve guides are shot based on how much oil is making it into your cylinder. how often do you have to put oil in between oil changes.
WRONG!!!! The S2000 has NEVER come from the factory with Iridium plugs. Go look at your owners manual and at the FAQs in these forums.
It's common knowledge the Ir plugs work for a short time and then produce a high rpm miss that doesn't throw a code. Go do your homework and you'll know what others are " talking about".

BTW, the Denso platinum plug was the predominant plug in the first S2000s produced and most are still running with them without issue. Honda only updated them with SS crush rings. They remained platinum. They did the same with the NGK platinums.
[/quote]

Well...just to chime in on the mis-information. My '07 S2k came to me with 18 miles on the clock and when I first changed the plugs they were NGK iridium's according to the part number on the plugs. So it seems doing homework before getting all CAPS and angry is important all around. I've had a generally bad experience with the Denso's (electrode related) and am back on NGK iridium's and the car runs strong with no high rpm miss according to multiple datalogs...but hey, maybe it won't show up until well after the 10k miles I have on them.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:53 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I guess I was mistaken- i just checked the service manual and it does not call for an iridium plug, it calls for a double platinum. The Honda dealership that I used to buy my parts from always sold me ngk iridiums.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by SYR_S2k
Originally Posted by haywoodjablome' timestamp='1316284626' post='20982226
[quote name='dc2-2-ap1' timestamp='1316272108' post='20981845']
[quote name='haywoodjablome' timestamp='1316271145' post='20981821']

[/quote]

Well...just to chime in on the mis-information. My '07 S2k came to me with 18 miles on the clock and when I first changed the plugs they were NGK iridium's according to the part number on the plugs. So it seems doing homework before getting all CAPS and angry is important all around. I've had a generally bad experience with the Denso's (electrode related) and am back on NGK iridium's and the car runs strong with no high rpm miss according to multiple datalogs...but hey, maybe it won't show up until well after the 10k miles I have on them.
[/quote]
Go read your owner's manual. What does it tell you is the correct part number for the plugs on your year of car? If you got IR plugs when you got it from the dealer, then someone there changed them before you got the car. I call BS on that one.
The kind of miss you get with IR plugs don't show up for 6 to 12 months. It won't throw codes so it won't show up on any data logger. It's something you feel and hear. But hey, if you're happy with a miss your data doesn't show, then carry on.
Additionally, it was mainly IR plugs that the occasional tip would break off.
"Misinformation"? Not on my part.