S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Somethong Is Wrong With My Transmission

Old 05-06-2006, 07:51 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE=IIGQ4U,May 6 2006, 05:36 PM] I can not go through the gears with the car off at all.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many miles on the odometer, before and after you left it there?
Old 05-07-2006, 01:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey,

Thanks for the help... It is not the reverse lockout. The gears seem to be popping up just fine. I do not know how miles were on the vehicle before and after but I do know that they were the last to drive my car and the fact that they claim to have been unable to shift into sixth gear leads me to believe that they drove my car on the freeway. Why would they drive my car on the freeway to "test" my suspension!?

Jeez, you can't trust anybody.

From the sounds of it, do you think I would need to rebuild the tranny? Replace the synchros? Replace the last two gears?

This really pisses me off because I go in with a perfectly functional car and I end up with a vehicle which is barely drivable on the highway.

Not only did they destroy my transmission they also crossthreaded the wheel stud and said that I needed to replace it!
Old 05-07-2006, 02:01 AM

the same thing happened to me, at a time it was a bit rough going from 5th to 6th and now im totaly locked out of 6th, there was another memeber who posted a similar thread but i can locate it. A few people have guessed it a syncro, others have said selector issues,just gotta drop it and have a look
Old 05-07-2006, 06:17 AM

I would do some serious bitching, and threaten to get a lawyer on this one, these things can happen over night, but this is not likely in my eyes. Was the shop ran by semi-young guys, etc, most of which are some kind of dumb ass enthusiast that could only dream of driving your car. I dont even let the emissions people drive any of my cars, old or new, I simply refuse. I would most certainly take it up with their immediate supervisor, and if possible, get in contact with their supervisor if it is a chain business. Even if they didn't do it, they did crossthread one of your wheel studs, and told you to fix it, right there if they screwed the tranny or not, that would be enough to make them a suspect, and also piss me off to put the whole kit and kabootle on them.

Good luck man, don't be nice, do what you have to do, I've gotten screwed over, and its not fun, so do your work man, its a business, they should have enough money to fix your car, without anybody going homeless on the streets.

Corey
Old 05-07-2006, 06:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had the issue as well. Although others swear it is not so, there is an issue with 5/6 that is not related to the synchro issue. That has been confirmed by the 2 different Honda service depts that I took my car to.

5th or 6th will come back. Drive it and keep trying to get in. After a little while suddenly it will be back, but you'll have to hold it in gear. Then a few days later it will hold itself and you'll never know there was ever an issue.

Mine came from using the lower 4 gears exclusively for a couple of hours and never reaching 5/6.

I would swear there was a write up on this when I first got my car 4 years ago but I haven't been able to find it.

If it is any consolation have seen post after post of people with the same problem, but I have never seen a follow up post with a tranny going out.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:25 AM
Banned

Why would the shop care about getting into 6th gear if they installed coil overs? Whats the reason for them to drive it that fast? Sound like the shop was Fing around and joyriding your car, therefore screwed up your transmission......that sucks
Old 05-07-2006, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by pushinlsteg,May 7 2006, 06:17 AM
I would do some serious bitching, and threaten to get a lawyer on this one, these things can happen over night, but this is not likely in my eyes. Was the shop ran by semi-young guys, etc, most of which are some kind of dumb ass enthusiast that could only dream of driving your car. I dont even let the emissions people drive any of my cars, old or new, I simply refuse. I would most certainly take it up with their immediate supervisor, and if possible, get in contact with their supervisor if it is a chain business. Even if they didn't do it, they did crossthread one of your wheel studs, and told you to fix it, right there if they screwed the tranny or not, that would be enough to make them a suspect, and also piss me off to put the whole kit and kabootle on them.

Good luck man, don't be nice, do what you have to do, I've gotten screwed over, and its not fun, so do your work man, its a business, they should have enough money to fix your car, without anybody going homeless on the streets.

Corey
That is what I think.

The guys were young... The shop owner is about maybe thirty something but the guy (s) who drove my carand even the show owner himself were talking about how nice the car is and how badly they wanted one. I then recall one of the guys saying how cool it felt to have people looking at him whle he was driving with the top down. This didn't really bother me at the time but I am livid at this point.

It seems odd that this would just happen in a couple of hours (when the vehicle was not in my possession). I would really like to believe that my sixth gear will come back but I am not very optimistic. Not to mention the fact that the longer I wait (if there is a problem) the less that the shop will be concerned with rectifying.
It really sucks that I will need to wait until Monday to get this fixed, I want something done now!

One other thing that I failed to mention was that the guy who crossthreaded my wheel stud said that the last people to mess with my tires must have actually did it because it had been that way ever since he had the car... Sound familiar to anybody?

Thank you all for your support, I was actually a bit apprehensive about posting because I see so many get flamed for this and for that. I was almost certain that somebody would rip me a new one for being so trusting.

The bottom line here is that I now realize I made a mistake by leaving the shop while my suspension was installed. In the future I will note the mileage on my odometer and instruct whomever is working on the car to park it so that I may conduct the drive test. Afterall, it is my vehicle and I should understand its handling properties before a non-owner/non-enthusiast.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:48 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fperra,May 6 2006, 08:14 PM
What is wrong is the install shop probably took your car for a "fun" ride and screwed up the tranny.
Exactly right..

This is a pretty common problem and often caused by a bad hi-rpm shift to third that misses and catches fifth which happens to share a synchro sleeve with sixth. The result is sixth is not accessible.

The usual fix is to force the shifter into sixth (it took me days and many attempts) and then work it until the damaged teeth are smoothed somewhat.

I doubt you will get satisfaction from a shop that did suspension work and would simply avoid them from now on.

BTW, I leave a carchip logger in my OBD port and can always provide a detailed chart of how my car was driven (believe it or not it has never been abused by anyone).
Old 05-07-2006, 08:01 AM

You are one blessed man cdelena!

You are most definitely correct in saying that I should avoid this shop in the future. It sucks because I have been there before and thought they were a decent shop but any decent shop shouldn't allow their workers to go joyriding in their customer's cars!

By the way cdelena where did you find the carchip logger?

Quick Reply: Somethong Is Wrong With My Transmission