S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Somethong Is Wrong With My Transmission

Old 05-06-2006, 04:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Somethong Is Wrong With My Transmission

Hi,

I just went to a shop to have my KW coilovers installed... When I went to pick up the car the shop asked me if the car was a 5 speed and I said no. They said that they were unable to get the car into sixth gear. I told them that it is not very difficult and that it is to the rear of fifth.

Well, I take the car home and all of a sudden I have a very hard time putting the car into fifth gear and the car absolutely will not get into sixth gear. What is wrong? The car was perfectly fine when I arrived to the shop and now the tranny is not working.

PLEASE HELP!!!
Old 05-06-2006, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can you get into any other gear smoothly???

does the pedal feels stiffer???

milage ???

does ur clutch make that buzzing sound ????

i can relate to your symtons just gotta know more info from you...
Old 05-06-2006, 04:24 PM

Hi, my car only has 56,000

The clutch is the same and the car shifts through the first four gears smoothly. I am really beginning to think that the installers went joyriding after they installed my coilovers.

The car was smooth when I arrived and screwed up when I left

But yeah, all other gears are smooth and fifth gear requires a bit of effort and sixth gear is impossible.
Old 05-06-2006, 04:26 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Can you row through all the gears with the engine off, clutch in? They may have gone for a joy ride and did a really, really bad skip shift (blew out the syncros).
Old 05-06-2006, 04:33 PM

The tranny may still be in reverse lock out. My cars shift lever has to be pulled up when the tranny is warm (it takes muscle trust me) after I reverse the car because it doesnt pop back up on its own. And I know fifth and sixth are hard to engage in reverse lock out. You may want to wait overnight to make sure the tranny is completly cooled down b4 you try to pull the shifter up. I say this because this was once a really bad problem for my car once the tranny was warmed up. I really couldnt get it out of reverse lock out. It kinda fixed itself over time but I still get nervous when I put it into reverse and try to pull it back up. Good luck.
Old 05-06-2006, 04:35 PM

Oh, and this started about the time I bought my car at 36,000 miles. It has 48,000 miles know. I believe it worked fine for b4 I bought it and that I screwed it up the first few days after I bought it because I didnt realize that it was left in the lock out mode.
Old 05-06-2006, 04:36 PM

I can not go through the gears with the car off at all. What the heck! What should I do?
Old 05-06-2006, 05:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to bring it back to the shop... obviously they did somthing to it when you were getting it installed.

BTW what shop did you take it to? I would never take it to a performance shop to install anything.. I rather ask for help on this board.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by IIGQ4U,May 6 2006, 06:05 PM
What is wrong? The car was perfectly fine when I arrived to the shop and now the tranny is not working.

PLEASE HELP!!!
What is wrong is the install shop probably took your car for a "fun" ride and screwed up the tranny.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:24 PM

sorry to hear this, they told you tho so... hopefully theyll own up to it,

this is why i check odo b4/afetr going to any shop and tell them do not drive the vehicle. i will do the test driving

prolly skip shifted and blew synchro is my guess.. the 5/6 synchro

Quick Reply: Somethong Is Wrong With My Transmission