S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Something wrong wtih rear end

Old 10-24-2006, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something wrong wtih rear end

Okay guys, im hoping someone can help me out. I have had terrible luck with my car. I just drove my car for the first time in 2 weeks and something weird happened. I was driving and either something happened or I ran over something that popped my car up a little. I had a car infront of me, so i couldnt tell for sure.

Anyway... as soon as this happened my car started making a terrible noise from the rear end. I can drive and accellerate, but it sounds terrible. There is cluncking/loud noise of some sort. The car seemed to be shaking a little. It makes more noise the more i accellerate and it makes the noise in gear and out. Is there anything i can check? Should i tow it to a dealer, or is it safe to drive there. I am in law school and have no ability to dump money into this. Any suggestions are much appreciated. I dont see anything visibly wrong under the car and no fluids are leaking. I'll probably take it to the dealership in the next few days, but im hoping i can get some idea of what is wrong. Thanks guys,

Derek
Old 10-24-2006, 02:32 PM
Ek9
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd probably jack up the back, turn the wheels by hand and see if I could isolate the sound.

Does it do it when you coast or only under load and accelerating? If it does it coasting. Does it make noise when you press the clutch in and coast?
Old 10-24-2006, 02:43 PM

It does it when i coast... or with clutch in.. It makes the same sounds from coasting/clutch in and then a different sound under acceleration. It sounds almost like that game plinko when coasting and then makes a strange noise when accelerating. Its hard to explain. Gets louder the faster i coast or accelerate. It isnt jerky or anything, but I'm afraid to accelerate hard becuase of the noise. (just drove around the block). Would it be an extreme case of a CV joint going bad?
Old 10-24-2006, 03:38 PM

I found some articles on teh CV joint making the car shake... I have had this problem under acceleration more and more lately. Is it possible that it was that going bad and now it is done for? I'm just trying to hope that it isnt the rear diff. If its just the CV, ill take it to the dealer and have them fix it. But im just going to let it set if its the rear diff.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:45 PM

considering you have a 2000 MY, and your car shakes a little, my first thought would be the CV. I would think the diff would not make such audible noises while just coasting.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:27 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need a dealer to fix it.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:34 PM

Yeah.. I am going to take it to a dealer, but does it sound like it could be CV joints? The more i read the more i feel like it is. I have had a vibration from 60-75mph in 5th and 6th for a long time, but never thought anything of it. My car has always been kind of loud as well. I'm assuming there is no TSB or anything and this is going to cost 1k or so?

Is there a way to know for sure that it isnt my rear diff?
Old 10-24-2006, 04:38 PM
Administrator

It may be your Diff/gears. CV joints vibrate under acceleration and click when making low-speed tight radius turns like in a parking lot or when parking the car.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:54 PM

Its a constant noise when moving from the rear... what would i do if it is the diff or gears? Will they be able to tell fairly easy? and if it is that, is it better to send it off to a company rather then have honda replace with OEM?
Old 10-24-2006, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by s2k_PikeStyle,Oct 24 2006, 08:54 PM
Its a constant noise when moving from the rear... what would i do if it is the diff or gears? Will they be able to tell fairly easy? and if it is that, is it better to send it off to a company rather then have honda replace with OEM?
If it were me I'd put it on jack stands, start the engine and put it in gear. Then I would go to the back of the car and figure out if I could hear the noise and if so where it is coming from. It is possible you have a bad wheel bearing which you would probably hear with this test. Start with diagnosing the bearings and eliminate them. From there you could take it to a dealer for a test drive by a tech and see if they can tell what it is. Beyond that I'd have to know how the other tests worked out.

Quick Reply: Something wrong wtih rear end