S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Something wrong with Cylinder #4?

Old 06-08-2010, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something wrong with Cylinder #4?

Hey guys, so I recently replace my engine with a 2000 model and it has about 70k kms on it. I wasn't aware that the earlier 2000 models had issues with oil and many replaced their oil jet bolts.

It wasn't until I got the engine in and started it up that I noticed louder than usual valves. My previous engine wasn't nearly as loud. So I was thinking maybe it just needs a valve adjustment.

However after a bit of researching on the forums and hearing about the valve noise that could be a possible sign of cylinder #4 going bad due to oil starvation, I recall seeing a bit of build up on the exhaust cam lobe on #4.

Now this has gotten me worried so can anyone give me some input on the possibilities of #4 going bad? Also how much does a set of oil jet bolts cost? Thanks.

**Edit: I added the video just to give people a bit more detail into the noise i'm talking about. Also i'm assuming the whistling/whining sound is from the air pump on start up?

Valve noise

warm engine valve noise
Old 06-08-2010, 08:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think hardtopguy has the upgraded oil jet bolts you need. Did you replace your block and head with the MY00? or did you just replace the shortblock? Just asking b/c if you had just the shortblock you should have inspected the cylinder walls before installing the head and putting it together. Im pretty sure your suppost to adjust the valves also after putting your motor back together, thats what I did. Mine had a scorred cylinder also. A video would help alot, its hard to diagnose a noise that you cannot hear on the internet. I say do a valve adjustment first, and see if that helps any with the noise at all.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:02 AM

thanks for the quick response, I replaced the whole engine, head/block. The engine wasn't opened up so I couldn't really see. I'm planning to do a valve adjustment but my mechanic says let it run for a bit first before doing the adjustment. I will also try and get a video to give you guys a better understanding when I say my valves are a bit loud. Thanks.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ohh okay. Yeah I would get a valve adjustment done asap though, before anything worse happens. Its a used engine, so it doenst technically need broken in. Yeah just try to get a video of it also to help diagnose. Also, you could always get a borescope. Take out your spark plugs and you can take a look in your cylinders with it. They make fancy ones with a decent size screen and a light on the end of it so you can see everything in your cylinder very clearly.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:41 PM

Updated with video, does it sound like valve noise?
Old 06-13-2010, 11:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like it to me.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:10 AM

Received 1,381 Likes on 828 Posts

#4 cylinder issue is not a valve issue. Has 100% nothing to do with it.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:12 AM

Received 1,381 Likes on 828 Posts

I dont hear any valve noise in that vid at all.

Post another clip at normal idle speed and temperature. Not a cold engine with the engine racing.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:42 AM

Oh okay, i'll try to get a warm engine clip. The reason I brought this topic up was I heard that valve train noise could be a sign of #4 starting to go bad. Thanks for the input.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:50 PM

Updated with a warmed engine clip. It can't be the TCT since it was replaced not too long ago.

Quick Reply: Something wrong with Cylinder #4?