S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Something erratic is happing under hard cornering

Old 03-08-2015, 01:34 PM

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,086 Posts

When VSA kicks in, the light on the dash flickers. Its the same light that turns on solid when you disable VSA.

So if its kicking in, there is a way to tell. So long as this is something you can pay attention to while driving so aggressively that it kicks in.

It has the ability to selectively pump the brakes on one wheel at a time, to try and bring car back onto the line you are trying to carve. Its very noticible when it engages.

The problem with turning VSA off, then trying to recreate the conditions it previously engaged, to see if it now behaves differently, is part of the different behavior might include crashing. Only do this test if you are very confident in your driving skills and there is no chance of injuring others. Only do this if you can find someplace safe enough as Billman suggests.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:21 PM

Received 1,753 Likes on 1,045 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
When VSA kicks in, the light on the dash flickers. Its the same light that turns on solid when you disable VSA.

So if its kicking in, there is a way to tell. So long as this is something you can pay attention to while driving so aggressively that it kicks in.

It has the ability to selectively pump the brakes on one wheel at a time, to try and bring car back onto the line you are trying to carve. Its very noticible when it engages.

The problem with turning VSA off, then trying to recreate the conditions it previously engaged, to see if it now behaves differently, is part of the different behavior might include crashing. Only do this test if you are very confident in your driving skills and there is no chance of injuring others. Only do this if you can find someplace safe enough as Billman suggests.

In addition, depending on conditions, the throttle may also be reduced. I admit the first time it happened to me, I was quite surprised. I have an 09. The only time before that that I could recall experiencing any engagement of VSA was on my MDX. Thick snow clutter caused a yaw to develop at 50 mph. I was trying to gently correct with steering but the VSA kicked in and restored order to the universe. I have found the VSA in the S is much more likely (for me and how I drive) to kick in than driving in the SUV. (Duh)