S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

some quick results on my heat blanket...

Old 07-07-2001, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default some quick results on my heat blanket...

well, I didn't get to do too much testing mainly because the rain decided to come.

But here's what I have...

88 degrees F. ambient temp. At one point without the mat, the IAT as reported by the ECU got up to 150+ F. That's nearly double the ambient which I think Xviper reported as well. With the mat, it never got above 140-142.

But I think this is where it would be most benifitial: Within 5 seconds of moving, with the mat on, the temp dropped down to the mid 130's. Without the mat, it would take a while before the temp would come back down.

There's one difference between mine and what Xviper did. It seems like he had 'protection' for the box itself. I just did the mat. I think I am going put something on the airbox itself as well. Also, I am still trying to find a good way to do the tubing.

I also did a test with my maxima, and the S2000 nees a true cold air. My maxima has a Place Racing cold air intake. With the same ambient temp, my intake air temp was no more than 98 degrees F. It was usually in the mid 90's driving through the exact same route I did with the S2000. That's some 40 degrees difference...

-Shing
Old 07-07-2001, 04:39 PM

It's easier to see when you have the SC and the airbox is much smaller and to one side, but even the stock airbox is going to have a fairly large view-factor to the exhaust header...DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT A THERMAL ENGINEER, BUT I KNOW ENOUGH TO BE DANGEROUS!... not only will there be heat transfer from radiation, but also convection. I insulated the part of my airbox that faces the exhaust headers and the SC compressor, but the inside of the airbox still feels hot (not as hot as before, though), so I think I have a few more steps to go. You should definitely shield/insulate the airbox from the exhaust headers and the rest of the engine.
Old 07-07-2001, 07:10 PM

After reading your post, Shing, I found the same 'screen' material and did the mod. Thanks!

Note that with all our efforts to cool the intake air, the intake manifold is heated by the 'coolant' and the throttle body is as well. In fact, the engine coolant temperature sensor is located in the intake manifold. What's with all that? Emissions control I assume....

Btw, I routed the coolant from going through the throttle body.
Old 07-07-2001, 08:33 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rocketman
[B]It's easier to see when you have the SC and the airbox is much smaller and to one side, but even the stock airbox is going to have a fairly large view-factor to the exhaust header...DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT A THERMAL ENGINEER, BUT I KNOW ENOUGH TO BE DANGEROUS!... not only will there be heat transfer from radiation, but also convection.
Old 07-08-2001, 06:16 AM

If you guys noticed my SC install with my "custom" dual-filtered cold-air intake... I have dual-filters positioned right by the "opened" faux vents... all the ductwork (including the pipe from the SC to the throttle body) is covered with Thermo-tec header insulation so that the cold-air would stay cold when going through the engine compartment...

I have received funny comments like "man, why did you wrap your stuff in burlap?"...

After dyno-ing with my custom piping and with the Comptech air box with a 50mph simulated air flow... both air "systems" gave identical HP results. So, I am going to put the Comptech box on and make sure it is well insulated. Also, since my faux vent is cut open, the Comptech box willactually be sucking in cold air since it draws air right from that very open cavity... I will make a gasket so the Comptech box ONLY darws air from the cavity and not the engine compartment...

Just my experience with hot and cold air... I guess my greatest experience is with hot air (whenever my mouth moves )
Old 07-08-2001, 08:44 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by shaner
[B]If you guys noticed my SC install with my "custom" dual-filtered cold-air intake... I have dual-filters positioned right by the "opened" faux vents... all the ductwork (including the pipe from the SC to the throttle body) is covered with Thermo-tec header insulation so that the cold-air would stay cold when going through the engine compartment...

I have received funny comments like "man, why did you wrap your stuff in burlap?"...

After dyno-ing with my custom piping and with the Comptech air box with a 50mph simulated air flow... both air "systems" gave identical HP results.
Old 07-08-2001, 09:07 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xviper
[B]
2. Re: S/C affects on intake heat.
Old 07-08-2001, 04:27 PM

Well, I built my "heat shield" today. It's hard to say how well it works, I only drove around for 15 minutes or so, mixed highway and stop-and-go. It did get "wind tested" up to 108mph, so apparently it is in there pretty good.

One good indicator, however: after my test drive I took the airbox cover off to feel the inside and the front part of the airbox was actually cool. The inside rear of the airbox had just a hint of warmth. If anybody is interested, I can email or post pictures.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:20 AM

I want to see pics
Old 09-02-2012, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by madenot
I want to see pics
i hope your kidding. this thread is 11 years old..

Quick Reply: some quick results on my heat blanket...