S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Some more Vortech woes.

Old 11-27-2002, 09:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Some more Vortech woes.

Hi,

Last night, or I should say this morning the installation of my Vortech Supercharger was completed. Fired the car up and had the famous check engine light. Revved the engine and was cut out and 3k RPM. I did the obvious and and pulled the plug on the timing box. Do I send in the little box too or just the big one?

Now to the other problems...

IMO, the installation instructions were very unclear. If the person installing it for me wasn't a master technician, I would probably still be installing it. The supplied water pump bracket that was supplied was WAY to small so we had to fabricate one of our own out of his garage.

More problems...

I'm not sure if the following has anything to do with the timing box or not. Since I had to pull the box to drive the car, obviously I'm running factory settings. Heres the thing, when I drive the car I make sure I don't rev past 6K RPM. At about 1/4 throttle the car pulls really nice and strong in the low-mid end. Once I get to about 1/2 throttle and +, the car TOTALLY bogs. But once I let go of the throttle and have it less than 1/2 way down, it gives me a surge of power. But once I give it more gas, BOG BOG BOG and so on. Does this have anything to do with the timing box being disconnected? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

P.S. I spoke to Vortech and they said it might be fuel related. They didnt help to be honest. I am running 100+ octane so thats not the issue. Thanks for the time.
Old 11-27-2002, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a link to the thread I just posted. The Twins over at Twins Turbo did the installation of the Supercharger at the SEMA Show. It went very smooth without problems. They also tuned my S2k and it runs awesome. I run a little rich at idle, but let me tell you about full throttle!! What a blast! Check out this link and give them a call!! Highly recommended!!

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...&threadid=93103
Old 11-28-2002, 01:17 AM

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the little box is what keeps the boost from confusing the ECU and making the car bog. The big box keeps you from getting detonation at high rpm. But just don't drive the car until you get your new timing box, unless you have no choice.

The water pump bracket problem was noted in the first vortech installation thread. I had vortech ship me a new bracket before I had the install done.

MG
Old 11-28-2002, 06:45 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm curious about when your kit was delivered. Is it a recent delivery or have you had it for a while but just never got around to installing it till now? I'm discouraged to see that after all those initial hassles, Vortech still can't get it right.
I would think that without the Vortech controlling devices, the car simply gets too much air and fuel and doesn't know what to do with it all.
Old 11-28-2002, 10:32 PM

Thanks for the help.

Does anybody know whats causing the bog at WOT though? Is it the lack of the timing box?
Old 11-29-2002, 03:25 AM

Basically what you are experiencing is when ECU senses boost (positive manifold pressure) present. If you only took out the timing box, you should still be ok with the other box which prevents ECU from sensing the boost present.
See the thing is I am not sure how good Vortech made that electronic box or even calibrated correctly. My Comptech for example, ESM unit does a great job out of the box.
If you have the VAFC by the way, you can tell how good job that electronic box is doing by looking at the pressure meter.
Old 11-30-2002, 11:11 PM

Anymore suggestions? I called Wednesday morning at 10 and spoke to Mike and said that they will ship out a new box. It's Saturday and I still havn't received the box to see if that will fix that WOT "problem" that I've been encountering. Thanks.
Old 12-01-2002, 11:54 AM

Originally posted by VTEC Racer
Anymore suggestions? I called Wednesday morning at 10 and spoke to Mike and said that they will ship out a new box. It's Saturday and I still havn't received the box to see if that will fix that WOT "problem" that I've been encountering. Thanks.
you didn't receive the box b/c of the holidays, so expect to see it in the next couple of days. I wouldn't drive the car until the issue is resolved.
Old 12-01-2002, 05:05 PM

I'm starting to feel sorry for all the Vortech guys.
Old 12-01-2002, 06:34 PM

dont feel sorry for them...this is the feedback they need inorder to increase the quality of thier product and service...that is one of the reasons this forum exists...

Quick Reply: Some more Vortech woes.