S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Some Help Please...

Old 06-25-2011, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some Help Please...

Im hope someone can help me for iv tried everything.

So ... I was boosted and my 2007 ap2 motor took a crap. With no money saved, I had to leave it sitting for about 6 months. I didnt think it would take me that long to buy a new motor so I dint think I would need to put any fuel stabilizer in the fuel until it was to late. So I just got a 2006 motor with only 18,000 miles on it last week and just got done installing it. At that time I ran a fuel line into a gas can while running the fuel pump to empty as much old gas as I could. I got it to show no gas bars on the dash but im sure a little was left behind in the tank. I then put in a half a can of seafoam and 5gl of new gas in the tank. I then ran the fuel pump a few more times into the gas can again to clear the lines with good gas. I put new plugs and went to start it but it wont stay running. I push the start button and the engine turns over like 2 times then starts but rev's up to about 2000-2500 rpm's but then dies right then. If I hold the start button (keep turning the motor over) to try and keep it started, it still wont stay started, it will just turn over. Now after a few times of trying to start it the car will blow what looks like pressure build up (out the front of the intake manifold). The very next time I try and start it, it will do the whole rev to 2500 then die again thing. Iv pulled the plugs and they are wet with what seems like fuel maybe. I then hooked up a OBD2 scanner to the car but its stating there are not any codes as if everything is fine. I am NA right now while Im waiting on my turbo to be rebuilt and saving some cash for a better turbo manifold.

Important!!! -- I pulled the old motor not thinking I would sale my HONDATA & Injectors (needed the money at the time) So when I sold my HONDATA I had to send my ECU with the HONDATA to the guy that bought them. That way he could plug my ecu into his car and reset my ecu back to stock and then unlock the HONDATA from my ECU. He then mailed me back my ecu. So at this time I am thinking that my ECU is back to stock but I have NO way to tell.

Im so lost at this point... Im about to roll this BYTCH out into traffic... HELP ME PLEASE (not to roll it LOL)........

Wish Billman250 lived nearby ..
Old 06-26-2011, 07:08 AM

BUMP for some help....
Old 06-26-2011, 08:54 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

you can try the battery reset procedure. where you disconnect the battery, both positive and negative cables and and touch them together and leave it like that for about 10 minutes at least. this will automatically reset the ecu back to stock, orignal fuel/ignition timing maps and make the computer to have to relearn everything. as long as you have good fuel and it's not a fuel related problem like stale gas or a possible damaged pump from sitting. i would try this. not sure how it will affect that hondata reflash program and all settings from it, but possible this is the most simple way to reset the computer back to stock. and all freeze data or data the comuter learned about your driving style, will be reset. and you will have to perform and idle learn procedure, where you let the vehicle idle, with no loads, and till fans come on twice.

i work at the dealer, and we sometimes have computers in vehicle that mysteriously act up for some reason and starts to do funny things. in which, a lot of times we will call the honda tech line, and they will tell us to try this procedure.

hope this is of some help.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by rossco
you can try the battery reset procedure. where you disconnect the battery, both positive and negative cables and and touch them together and leave it like that for about 10 minutes at least. this will automatically reset the ecu back to stock, orignal fuel/ignition timing maps and make the computer to have to relearn everything. as long as you have good fuel and it's not a fuel related problem like stale gas or a possible damaged pump from sitting. i would try this. not sure how it will affect that hondata reflash program and all settings from it, but possible this is the most simple way to reset the computer back to stock. and all freeze data or data the comuter learned about your driving style, will be reset. and you will have to perform and idle learn procedure, where you let the vehicle idle, with no loads, and till fans come on twice.

i work at the dealer, and we sometimes have computers in vehicle that mysteriously act up for some reason and starts to do funny things. in which, a lot of times we will call the honda tech line, and they will tell us to try this procedure.

hope this is of some help.

I will try that this afternoon. Also I dont think it could be the fuel pump because I used it to pump the gas out of the tank. BUT I had to turn the key on and off OVER & OVER so the pump would prime and pump the gas out. So if its priming and creating pressure , Im thinking its pumping fine also. And the plugs have gas on them.

Is there any other engine ground wires I need to know of. I know about the 2 that go to the back of the head. And the 2 grounds on the driver side that go to the bottom of the block. Is there any others im missing? Also I dont have that bar thing that runs under the engine from one side of the sub frame to the other put on yet. Does that bar help with any grounds?
Old 06-26-2011, 01:54 PM

if u have fuel on the plugs u are running way to rich or u have an ignition problem...pull a coil and a stick long screwdriver in there and get it about a quater inch from a good ground hold it there while someone cranks the engine for a few sec. u should see a nice blueish spark...do it on each coil...hope this helps
Old 06-26-2011, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by mmm...vtec
if u have fuel on the plugs u are running way to rich or u have an ignition problem...pull a coil and a stick long screwdriver in there and get it about a quater inch from a good ground hold it there while someone cranks the engine for a few sec. u should see a nice blueish spark...do it on each coil...hope this helps

I will try that after the battery ecu reset. Im thinking... if im running way to rich then I must be still on my boosted tune but I dont see how that is. Because in order for you to unlock the HONDATA from your ecu, you have to reset your ecu back to stock.

Iv done a wire and battery tuck but only to the pas side not the driver. And from what I know and have read... the pass side only runs the Rad fans,headlights, turns, horn and eps. So i dont think it would have anything thing to do with any of that wiring..

Well... Ill keep ya'll posted.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:12 PM

the batt ecu reset is only a temporary thing till the adaptive learning kicks in and since u are getting fuel on ur plugs i think after a few min or a few times after turning the car on and off u will b back to square 1...the comp can only comonsate so much..
Old 06-26-2011, 10:09 PM

Ok... So I did the battery ECU reset and that did nothing for me. Also I don't have anyone to start the car for me while i check to see if the coils are sparking BUT i don't see a reason why they would not be working. The car will start, rev up then die all within 3sec. So I'm sure they are working. Also they worked before the motor change. Also I have 2 sets of coils and I changed them to the others but that didn't help.

At this point I'm thinking that the ECU is somehow still loaded with my Boosted tune. I'm going to call Honda and see if they can reflash my ecu for me. What sucks is I'm sure they will need to plug it into the OBD2 plug and the car don't run so ill have to tow it there. Kinda hoping I can just take them my ecu but I'm thinking not.

I have....

overlooked every wire and plug - ALL GOOD

Scanned ECU for any codes - ALL GOOD

Changed Spark Plugs - ALL GOOD

Changed Coils - ALL GOOD

Did the battery ECU reset - Didn't Do anything different after.

Drained Old Gas/Put Half A Can Of Seafome and 5gl Of New Gas in tank - ALL GOOD

Compression check - 240 / 240/ 241 / 242 (18,000 miles on motor) - ALL GOOD

All Parts Back to Stock - All GOOD

This is really making me mad. Also Im only NA right now because im having my turbo rebuilt and saving for a Ramhorn Mani and another HONDATA. But Im going threw all this work just to go back boosted in 2 months..

Any Other Thoughts???
Old 06-26-2011, 11:54 PM

Maybe you got some bad gas... try taking off the intake piping and spray some starting fluid in there. Sometimes the car just needs to clear up.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:28 AM

doing the test i told u about earlier not only tests the to see if the coils are firing but the intensity of the spark....it might have spark but the spark might not strong enough to ignite the air fuel mixture...simple but effictive test...also u might be right with the tune being wrong...

Quick Reply: Some Help Please...