S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

SOLVED: Car won

Old 12-09-2008, 06:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOLVED: Car won

I did a MAP whack mod last night (and I hope I didn
Old 12-09-2008, 06:14 AM

possible. make sure its connected all the way in. and ziptie it. did you disconnect the battery before doing this?
Old 12-09-2008, 06:53 AM

no, i didn't disconnect the battery, but i did disconnect the harness going into the MAP sensor, whacked it then reset the ECU (pulled the backup fuse for about 5 minutes).
Old 12-09-2008, 12:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow, how hard did you whack it?
Old 12-09-2008, 01:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get hold of another MAP sensor, you've almost certainly destroyed yours.

Check the wiring in the connector is actually connected and no pins have been broken too.

Maybe the mod needs to be renamed to 'MAP tap'...
Old 12-09-2008, 01:35 PM

You can still start your car without a MAP sensor. Trust me, I forgot to plug mine back in when I first installed my old Skunk2 throttle body on my s2k. It'll just put it in limp mode and still run, but with the CEL and rev limit.

Try unplugging the MAP and see if it'll start. That way we can see if the MAP is causing the problem or not.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:54 PM

^D1sclaimer, i thought that would be the case, too, but i just went ahead and disconnected my MAP sensor harness and the car still would not start.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:14 PM

to give some more background, i have had a CEL (misfire) issue since i brought the car earlier this year. to try to solve this issue, i changed the plugs, but this didnt solve my misfire issues. yesterday, i changed the injectors, resetted the ECU and then went out for a test drive (topped off my tank, got dinner and etc...) and the CEL came back on while i was on my way home.

After i got home, i did some more troubleshooting and that is when i performed the MAP whack mod, resetted the ECU and before i started the car, i jumped my OBDII ports because I wanted to see if would still throw the same misfire codes. the interesting part was, after i messed around wtih the OBDII port, I found that the CEL was no longer on anymore; not even when i first turn the key. (while the gauge is going through its startup sequence) i saw no sign of the CEL whats so ever. this is also when the car would not start.

what i am also noticing now is that, when i short my OBDII port, my ABS light will flash 7 times (@ 1 second interval) and then repeats the same pattern. and no matter how i wire it, i cant get the CEL to show up.

now, i just went out to do what D1sclaimer suggested, when I pressed on the engine start button, the car's battery felt drained so i tried to jump it one more time and still no luck. and just to confirm it is not the battery (while jumping cable not connected), i turned my headlights, high beams, radio, interior lights and fan on ALL AT THE SAME TIME. the car powered itself fine and showed no sign of dying. I also double checked the batter in my keyfob because I know sometimes the car would not start if the transponder is not powered.

i am ruling out any fuel related causes because i have triple checked my connectors and etc and everything is fine. i am also ruling out the battery because the car seems to power itself fine.

anyone else has any other ideas?

thanks to everyone who contributed to my thread so far.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What pins on OBDII did you jump? 4 and 9? If not, you may've fried the ECU as it is about 5V there, and if you've jumped 12V from another pin...

I actually don't know what the voltage/pin layout is in OBDII. It's probably available online somewhere.

But I do know that with ign on 4-9 connected will cause the CEL to flash out a 2 digit code. I've done it successfully.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:56 PM

is there a way to test if the ecu is fried or not?

Quick Reply: SOLVED: Car won