S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

SOLUTIONS to the rust-causing wheel well trim?

Old 11-15-2019, 07:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm looking for a solution, not an argument. I personally blame the design, not the water, not the crap. My lexus used a compound instead of trim, and probably wont rust as long as I live. Hondas often rust because of that trim.

Last edited by janders111; 11-15-2019 at 07:52 AM.
Old 11-15-2019, 08:18 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,409 Likes on 1,050 Posts

Originally Posted by The King
The rubber strips don't cause the rust, but they trap crap that cause the rust. The only time they would "cause" the rust is if the rubber coating is compromised, and then the metal inside the strips start to rust.

What is this? A Philosoraptor meme?

Old 11-15-2019, 09:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why?
Old 11-15-2019, 09:18 AM

Received 1,475 Likes on 1,104 Posts

Its that damned di-hydrogen monoxide at it again!

https://www.dhmo.org/facts.html
Old 11-15-2019, 12:05 PM

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,085 Posts

I pulled the strips to inspect, found rust on one side. Will fix it this winter.

Meanwhile, left the strips off.

Trying to keep moisture out with silicone is a recipe for doing a much better job keeping moisture in. It'll still get in there, but won't be able to get out. Rust factory.

I like por 15, been using it for several decades. I may do that. But meanwhile wondering what's wrong with doing truck bedliner? Wouldn't that provide a similar appearance to the rubber strips, and provide a good amount of rock chip protection, and also seal out moisture and crap? Brush onto back side of lip and into the edge where the two panels meet (inner and outer fender), then use foam roller to roll on painted arch.

It was stated in this thread this wouldn't be a good fix. Why not?
Old 11-15-2019, 12:13 PM

Received 1,475 Likes on 1,104 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
I pulled the strips to inspect, found rust on one side. Will fix it this winter.

Trying to keep moisture out with silicone is a recipe for doing a much better job keeping moisture in. It'll still get in there, but won't be able to get out. Rust factory.

I like por 15, been using it for several decades. I may do that. But meanwhile wondering what's wrong with doing truck bedliner? Wouldn't that provide a similar appearance to the rubber strips, and provide a good amount of rock chip protection, and also seal out moisture and crap? Brush onto back side of lip and into the edge where the two panels meet (inner and outer fender), then use foam roller to roll on painted arch.

I think bedliner can work well if it is a good one and is applied well. Sometimes though if not done correctly it can delam and basically just allow moisture to colllect behind it and make the problem worse (much like a lot of the aftermarket undercoatings can). You also want to make sure you are not inadvertently creating pockets or sealing off an area which will just cause more moisture to collect.
Old 11-15-2019, 01:50 PM

Received 436 Likes on 324 Posts

POR15 or bedliner would look really bad IMO.
Old 11-15-2019, 02:04 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy

That's why I used rubberized rockerguard, easy to use, coats well, and will repel stones kicked up by the tires to protect the metal, I think it is a good top coat, like bed liner would be.
Old 11-15-2019, 02:45 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 107 Likes on 67 Posts

I just replaced my arches last month, thankfully I had no rust, here was my solution to seal it up forever.

First is the prep, you have to clean both sides of the arches with isopropyl alcohol to get the previous adhesive off. This is per the manual. Keep cleaning until that fender lip on the inside and out squeaks when you rub your fingers on it, you have to get all debris and adhesive and everything off the fender lips for the next step. I went through 2 shop rags to get it all off and cleaned.

The fender liners already have a white sealant inside of them, so no need to put anything else in there, (this sealant is part #08712-0010 aka Sunstar Penguin Seal 353 White). After you install, then re-coat the inside of the fender well with 3M #03584 Professional Grade Rubberized Undercoating, Corrosion, Water and Salt Spray Resistant.

Now for the fun part and I got this idea from @zeroptzero , spray the 3M black goop into a box and use a medium paint brush, and get a lot of it on it, and then on the inside you want to coat the area where the rubber arch mold meets the metal, thereby creating a nice thick layer of the undercoating so that there is no more gap between the arch and the rest of the inner wheel well. I had to use a mirror (I bought a cheap dental mirror from Harbor Freight to see every angle up in there) to ensure a full coating because even if you stick your head up in the fender, you still will miss some hidden areas not covered because of the angle. I gave it like 2-3 passes of the 3M black goop.

Last edited by Thomas Guide; 11-15-2019 at 09:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
zeroptzero (11-15-2019)
Old 11-15-2019, 05:42 PM

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

I speak from experience here as well and echo zeroptzero. just 2 weeks ago I removed my 2000 Honda Civic's rubber rear wheel protector strips. They were loose and I removed them finding a 5 inch strip of surface rust underneath. I have been relentless with rust protection but eventually the moisture was trapped beneath. I cleaned the rust off, prepped for POR 15, painted. Then ran factory black seam sealer (comes in a tube for your caulking gun). Then used the rubberized rocker guard for final protection. I do like the suggestion to paint it on rather than spray it on.

My s2000 didn't have the rubber strips when I bought it- I used the rocker guard again to protect both sides- the undercoating can be touched up as needed. I still spray the inner fender with rust check for further insane protection. The S is summer only. the Civic is an all season daily driver.

darcy
The following users liked this post:
zeroptzero (11-15-2019)

Quick Reply: SOLUTIONS to the rust-causing wheel well trim?