S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Solution for a "RINGING" Shifter

Old 11-27-2002, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I have a similiar issue coming from the same area, but it is not a ringing noise from the shifter.

Instead, it sounds like a short plastic rattle coming from a loose boot holder or shift boot.

It's weird because you can only hear it when you move the shifter to the left in neutral and let it go back to the center. Could this be the same issue?

Anyway, I'm planning on making sure everything is good and tight, and plan on regreasing the shift level ball seat.

Two questions
I'm planning on using Mobil 1 grease instead of Honda Urea. It's supposed to have an operating range of -37
Old 11-27-2002, 06:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by fusion
Instead, it sounds like a short plastic rattle coming from a loose boot holder or shift boot.

It's weird because you can only hear it when you move the shifter to the left in neutral and let it go back to the center. Could this be the same issue?

I'm planning on using Mobil 1 grease instead of Honda Urea.
fusion, it sounds like this might be the same thing.

I don't think that the type of grease is critical. As long as it isn't too stiff in the cold and doesn't run off in the heat, you'll be fine. I used some white lithium grease on mine and it seems to be OK. The grease seems to hold everything together and that's why it stops the vibrations that cause the noise. I would say to use a liberal amount of grease on both of the nylon pieces, both sides of both of them.

Besides losing the ringing noise, I also have a much smoother feeling shifter now. Some of the "notchiness" is gone.
Old 11-28-2002, 11:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am glad to hear everything came out ok for you boiler!! I also notice my shifter doesn't flop around as much as it did.
Old 11-30-2002, 05:39 PM

Well, it turned out to be a broken boot holder. Two of the four clips were busted, causing the holder to wedge itself loose, causing the plastic rattling noise I heard.. I plan on ordering a new one next week. I also found that the plastic boot was teared near one of the holes for the boot. The holder probably got busted when the dealer did the TSB for my clutch.

I'm just relieved I got rid of that damn rattling.
Old 03-22-2004, 05:47 PM

Bumping this back from the dead as it could be useful to someone.

Xviper, could you please sticky this somewhere as a 'how-to' courtesy of Silversurfer.

Thanks,
Asura
Old 03-22-2004, 05:53 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Asura
Bumping this back from the dead as it could be useful to someone.
Old 03-22-2004, 05:58 PM

Thank you sir.
Old 03-22-2004, 07:08 PM

I don't even know what "ringing" refers to. Maybe mine doesn't have it.
Old 03-22-2004, 07:29 PM

If you have a SC you will know. The shifter vibrates like it has 2 AA batteries inside. It is the result of a vibration at a certain frequency causing a harmonic oscillation from the SC through the drivetrain. The shift knob is where you can see it.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:49 PM

Oh, I don't have an S/C, so I wouldn't know. Plus, my shifter is as smooth as silk and solid as a rock; absolutely no vibration or very little, almost non-existent. Lots of other cars have a lot of shifter vibrations.

Now, only if my crappy engine is as nice as my tranny. But that's another story.

Quick Reply: Solution for a "RINGING" Shifter