S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Solid motor mounts

Old 05-16-2007, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Solid motor mounts

I am having an issue with various nuts/bolts (turbo manifold nuts, turbo bolts, wastegate bolts, etc.)coming loose in my engine bay. All of these items have been torqued to spec but for some strange reason are backing off. I haven't heard of other S2000s having this same problem, and I am beginning to think my S2000 is simply jinxed.

Anyways, the speed shop that I am using has recommended solid motor mounts to held reduce the vibration produced by the engine. Does anybody have any experience with solid motor mounts? Do you know of any cons by having solid motor mounts? It seems to me that solid motor mounts would only create MORE vibration.

Thoughts?
Old 05-16-2007, 01:47 PM

the biggest con i can think of is the solid motor mounts will cause alot more Vibration inside the cab.....
Old 05-16-2007, 01:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My turbo manifold nuts use to back out all the time, i would lose nuts like crazy SPECIALLY the same two which were..
the closest one to you if your in front of the car and the one opposite that one closest to the inside of the car.
Dunno about solid motor mounts bro sounds like trouble waiting to happen, think about it absolutely NO play.
So when boost kicks in your motor has no play to move
Old 05-16-2007, 01:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is your car in the shop btw?
Old 05-16-2007, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Reborn56,May 16 2007, 01:58 PM
My turbo manifold nuts use to back out all the time, i would lose nuts like crazy SPECIALLY the same two which were..
the closest one to you if your in front of the car and the one opposite that one closest to the inside of the car.
Dunno about solid motor mounts bro sounds like trouble waiting to happen, think about it absolutely NO play.
So when boost kicks in your motor has no play to move
that is surprising, what kind of nuts are you using to fasten the manifold to the head?

that seems like a problem, and finding another way to address the problem is just a band-aid, not a fix. do the nuts you are using have any type of Soft metal inserts inside them, Similar to Nylock nuts but with metal inside?
Old 05-16-2007, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Reborn56,May 16 2007, 02:58 PM
is your car in the shop btw?
Yes, my car is at Speed Force Racing right now.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by BlownAP,May 16 2007, 03:04 PM
that is surprising, what kind of nuts are you using to fasten the manifold to the head?

that seems like a problem, and finding another way to address the problem is just a band-aid, not a fix. do the nuts you are using have any type of Soft metal inserts inside them, Similar to Nylock nuts but with metal inside?
Sorry for the mis-statement--I haven't had an issue with the factory self-locking nuts backing off the studs which hold the turbo manifold to the cylinder head. I did have an issue with one of the OEM studs breaking, so I ordered so ARP studs. Those are being installed today.

With regards to bolts/nuts actually backing off, I've had a problem with the bolts, which hold the turbo to the manifold, backing off. Since I didn't buy a complete Full-Race turbo kit, I wasn't provided with the "hardware kit" which comes with their turbo kit if you buy their entire kit. This hardware kit includes all of the bolts and nuts needed to do the install.

When Speed Force Racing did the install, they used some other sort of bolt (since I didn't have the Full-Race hardware kit) to hold the turbo to the manifold (there are four bolts total). No big deal right? Well, on the drive home from there shop I heard some clanking from the engine bay, and then under the car. When I got home I noticed that two of the bolts closest to the firewall had backed off and were gone. I called SFR and told them about the problem.

I brought the car back to them and they used some other type of bolt (and mentioned the use of lock-tite). I drove home and didn't have any issues. On my way up to LA to have the car tuned, I heard some clanking from the engine bay and then underneath the car. I knew exactly what it was. I pulled over at a gas station and popped the hood. Sure enough one of the bolts closet to the firewall was gone. I was trying to decide whether to continue driving up to LA for the tune (knowing that I had a boost leak) or turning around and going home. I decided to press forward. So, when I had my car tuned I had a boost leak as only 3 bolts were holding the turbo to the manifold.

I've read a couple of posts on an EVO forum and some EVO owners are switching to solid motor mounts to help deter wheel hop. They mentioned that vibration within the "cabin" is more apparent but copeable.

Anyways, SFR has my car now and is installing the new bolts. Full-Race sent me two of the studs that they use to hold the turbo to the manifold. SFR is going to use these studs, along with a locking washer and probably some lock-tite. I really hope this resolves the issue because I haven't been able to enjoy my car, nor has it been fully tuned since the install of the Full-Race kit.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:18 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

hi temp loctite FTW?
Old 05-16-2007, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Spec_Ops2087,May 16 2007, 06:18 PM
hi temp loctite FTW?
It may come down to that...or tack welds!
Old 05-16-2007, 06:36 PM

It sounds like your tech is just trying to throw parts an rip you off.
doubt mounts will do anything but if you go that way and you drive on the street and want to maintain a remotely comfortable ride. Get some rubber filled motor mounts from spoon. they are the stock mounts with the grease sucked out and liquid rubber is injected and it hardens. i dont have first hand experence with these mounts but the should vibrate the car more than stock but not extreme as solid. but solid mounts are strictly track use and the vibrations would rattle every other nut loose on your car.

Quick Reply: Solid motor mounts