S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Soft Top repair!

Old 04-24-2011, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft Top repair!

So i know there has been alot of soft top repair questions, but i was wondering if there was anything else I can do before breaking down and buying another top? I've owned my S for going on 4 yrs now and have repaired my top for the last 2 years. I've been using some vinyl and leather reapair kit from a local parts store that has worked really well in the fall months( kit includes some fabric,adhesive and a color compound). With this repair kit it works as far as keeping out water from rain, etc. The problem i'm having is the hole opening back up when i let my top down on nice days(about an index finger long on the passenger side above the door jam). Is there anything else i can try that will hold when i let my top down?
Old 04-24-2011, 09:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel your pain....
My top is worn and torn in the same places and more...I have already purchased a replacement top but now I have to get up the gumption and the time to do the job..
I hear it is a 12 hour job....
Old 04-24-2011, 09:51 PM

i just went with completely removing the softtop/frame/motor for a hardtop.
i think your best bet is to get a new top or take it to a fabric shop for repairs
Old 04-24-2011, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by kslicks2k_85
So i know there has been alot of soft top repair questions, but i was wondering if there was anything else I can do before breaking down and buying another top? I've owned my S for going on 4 yrs now and have repaired my top for the last 2 years. I've been using some vinyl and leather reapair kit from a local parts store that has worked really well in the fall months( kit includes some fabric,adhesive and a color compound). With this repair kit it works as far as keeping out water from rain, etc. The problem i'm having is the hole opening back up when i let my top down on nice days(about an index finger long on the passenger side above the door jam). Is there anything else i can try that will hold when i let my top down?
I used a product called Tear-Aid for vinyl. So far, It has been holding with putting the top down 10 plus times. I even washed and applied 303 to the top. It's still holding. I put a patch on the inside and another on the outside. I wish I can take pictures, but I don't have a camera.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

x2 on tear aid may sure its type B for vinyl. Clean the surface stick it on and it sticks and is really hard to remove, its also flexible and is heat resistant to a certain point. I just apply some about 4 months ago to prevent my soft top from getting any wear spots. Works like a charm.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Tear aid works fairly well on small tears, but the larger the tear, the less effective it is. I have a 3" long tear along the left roll hoop and a huge patch (4"x4") of tearaid just barely holds it.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ok im telling you the real way to do it...
kits and such dont work and always fall apart in a couple months
tear aid is ok... but i dont really like it too much, mine fell off cause i go top down so often

but the way im doing it will stay for years

racer_X_123
taught me how to do this, i go top down daily and no problems when i had three 2 inch tears

need
-rtv silicone and some vinyl

thats it!
so i messaged racer_X_123 and asked if i should put it on the outside and in and this was
his way of doing it and its been holding up for a long time.

ME
so i got the rtv silicone and some vinyl from the fabric store,
so the vinyl they had kinda has a leather look but thats the best they had black,
so i was wondering if you just patch it up on the inside or do inside and out side?

racer_X_123
NO definitely not on the outside, it goes on the inside of that car.

Take the RTV, some paper towels or a rag, the strip of vinyl, and some rubbing alcohol if you have it out to the car.

With the alcohol, clean the area where you are going to apply the patch. after that wait a few minutes for the alcohol to evaporate. while you are waiting you can prep the patch.

Prep the patch my taking a glob of the RTV and putting on the patch. Take you fingers and smear and even layer (you need to be an even thickness like an 1/8" max.

From there the area should be dry and clean and then just take the patch and stick it to the area where the tear is. Make sure you put some pressure on the area over the whole patch so that it has a nice bond.

If it is like mine, some of the RTV may squeeze through the tear. That is fine and really kind of desired. Wait like 10 minutes and then apply pressure from the back and take your finger and clean the edge (the area that squeezed through) on the outside of the top.

your basically done now, just go back every 15 minutes or so for about an hour to make sure that gravity has not won and made the patch fall on any corner.

then wait about 24 hours for the RTV to fully cure before lowering the top so the patch does not let loose.

I did mine just like this and it has stuck for about 8 months now and it is still SUPER flexible. The shoe goo however is hard and stiff on the other side.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

-btw it will smell like strong vinger untill it dries up but its a small price to pay, should smell like vinger for like 24 hours and it will go away and you have a patched up top!
Old 04-26-2011, 06:47 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

I have a link in my sig which has links to how I fixed some wear marks in my top. Take a look at the thread. I used some sunbrella fabric (bought off ebay) and fabric glue. It is flexible which is great, but still holds well. The patches look the same today as they did when I installed them.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:31 PM

Thanks for all the info. I may try the rtv silicone and fabric first, but for some reason this doesnt work, where might i get tear aid?
I'm trying to hold out as long as i can!
Old 04-26-2011, 03:50 PM

Black Gorilla tape...seriously...if your just looking to keep the water out, thats the best thing ive found for cheap.

Quick Reply: Soft Top repair!