S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Soft top repair

Old 09-18-2009, 04:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft top repair

So my car is out of warranty and just about two months ago, the infamous passenger side tear appeared in my top. Though small at first, it's already doubled in size. Aware of the bulletin, I took my car to a local Honda dealership to see if they would cover it. Nope...but they did say they could offset some of the costs of the parts/labor out of goodwill.

So in the end, they quoted me $790 for a new top and to have it installed. How well does that sound? They said on it's own, the cost would be $1799 installed, so they hacked off a grand.

I'm trying to see if anyone else has been able to get Honda to cover repairs of the known problem outside of warranty and what kind of deal you were able to get.

From what the cost is of a new top (from hardtopguy), it doesn't seem like I would save anything buying the top and installing it myself (I usually like to do all mods/maintenance on my own)

Any opinions on whether it's a good deal?
Old 09-18-2009, 05:05 AM

put some ducktape inside. $2.99.

for 1799, i would save a little more and buy hardtop.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:32 AM

My top started the tear about 3 months ago, only mine was on the driver side. I tried the duct tape. It only worked for a week or two (mind you I kept putting the top down...it was summer...I had to), so I took the car over to Kim Auto Upholstry in Woodbridge. He's seemed very familiar with the S2000. He knew exactly what the issue was, and patched it up in about 20 minutes. He took some sticky 3M bonding, put it on the back of a black leather patch and stuck it over the crack from the inside. Top goes up and down, no problem. Crack hasn't grown at all. Can't see the patch. I definitely recommend trying it out. He charged me $50 (but he did do the passenger side too, as it was just starting to show a little cracking). That beats the hell out of $800 to me. He also told me it should last for a few years. At that point I might go to a hard top.

Hope that gives you another idea. Good luck.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Druz,Sep 18 2009, 08:50 AM
So my car is out of warranty and just about two months ago, the infamous passenger side tear appeared in my top. Though small at first, it's already doubled in size. Aware of the bulletin, I took my car to a local Honda dealership to see if they would cover it. Nope...but they did say they could offset some of the costs of the parts/labor out of goodwill.

So in the end, they quoted me $790 for a new top and to have it installed. How well does that sound? They said on it's own, the cost would be $1799 installed, so they hacked off a grand.

I'm trying to see if anyone else has been able to get Honda to cover repairs of the known problem outside of warranty and what kind of deal you were able to get.

From what the cost is of a new top (from hardtopguy), it doesn't seem like I would save anything buying the top and installing it myself (I usually like to do all mods/maintenance on my own)

Any opinions on whether it's a good deal?
Complain and get them to do it all out of goodwill.

How many Miles are on the car?
Old 09-18-2009, 06:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm actually getting my soft top replaced on Monday, they've already ordered the top. The rear window is cracked(My fault) and it's got a few good sized holes on the passenger side. My buddy is an adjuster at Geico, he's getting a shop to do everything for $1400. Not much of a deal but it will look much better than it does now. I wish I still had some warranty.

Also nice to see some fellow peeps from VA
Old 09-18-2009, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by iDomN8U,Sep 18 2009, 09:01 AM
Complain and get them to do it all out of goodwill.

How many Miles are on the car?
The car only has 22k miles for an 05. That's what my arguing point in the begin was. The car hasn't been used enough to be ripping already.

So that's how they came up with the deal they gave me.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by VTech_VTEC,Sep 18 2009, 08:32 AM
My top started the tear about 3 months ago, only mine was on the driver side. I tried the duct tape. It only worked for a week or two (mind you I kept putting the top down...it was summer...I had to), so I took the car over to Kim Auto Upholstry in Woodbridge. He's seemed very familiar with the S2000. He knew exactly what the issue was, and patched it up in about 20 minutes. He took some sticky 3M bonding, put it on the back of a black leather patch and stuck it over the crack from the inside. Top goes up and down, no problem. Crack hasn't grown at all. Can't see the patch. I definitely recommend trying it out. He charged me $50 (but he did do the passenger side too, as it was just starting to show a little cracking). That beats the hell out of $800 to me. He also told me it should last for a few years. At that point I might go to a hard top.

Hope that gives you another idea. Good luck.
Thanks, Im going to check it out.

Dropping 800 for a new top is not something I WANT to do. I've looked at patching it up myself but I also don't want it to look like trash.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Druz,Sep 18 2009, 11:02 AM
The car only has 22k miles for an 05. That's what my arguing point in the begin was. The car hasn't been used enough to be ripping already.

So that's how they came up with the deal they gave me.
Call Honda themselves and talk to them
Old 09-18-2009, 02:38 PM

does anyone have pics of this type of tear, it has me thinking now..
Old 09-18-2009, 02:44 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/j...TH+%28+02-06%29

You can buy the cloth for $750 online. It's no killer deal. It's not $1800 like they stated.

Quick Reply: Soft top repair