S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

soft top not working

Old 10-04-2011, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default soft top not working

Just recently my soft top wont go up or down. All fuses are good and their is power going to the soft top switch. I just noticed the hand break light on the dash stopped coming on so this could be the issue. Checked the ground underneath the center console and the wire is still attached. passenger window also stopped working and I understand these share the same circuit?
Old 10-04-2011, 05:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...IT+%28CABIN%29

You need #10

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/742...t-top-problem/
Old 10-04-2011, 05:32 PM

So having a bad soft top controll unit will disable the hand brake light from coming on the dash? that doesn't make sense
Old 10-04-2011, 05:34 PM

Stop top not working and passenger window are both controlled by the soft top controller module. If you want to play with a DMM and check voltages to verify this, feel free, but the soft top controller is a relatively common issue on the earlier S2000's.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:53 PM

Ok im assuming the mouldue is under the dash?
Old 10-04-2011, 08:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

under the passenger side of dash. There's a plate that is held in by six clips and the module is right under that.

This install for redline shift beeper shows it well.
http://modifry.com/products/rlb/RLB-...nual%202.2.pdf
Old 10-05-2011, 05:11 AM

So anyone know how to test the mouldue? I do have a volt meter. Sucks cause its gonna be warm next few days and i cant put my top down
Old 10-05-2011, 06:59 AM

In combination with a service manual for voltage and pin references, you can do pin to pin voltage tests to make sure the right voltage is being supplied to the soft top control unit and the right voltage is coming out of the soft top control unit when you toggle the switches. If anything doesn't check out, then you have your answer. If this doesn't make sense, I would advise against trouble shooting this issue yourself.

Your other option in the mean time is to remove the side panels behind your seats and disconnect the soft top motors, and then ghetto rig a 9V battery to your passenger window switch to roll it down (and then back up). You'll be able to put your soft top up and down by hand, and then open and close the passenger window with the battery.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You said you check the ground under the center console but is that it? It could be a bad switch and the "appear" fine. I would check the parking brake switch and that you don't have the passenger window lock on.

If those are fine, then follow these steps:

2. Disconnect the 14P connector (A) and 10P connector (B) from the convertible top control unit (C).
3. Inspect the connector and socket terminals to be sure they are all making good contact.

o If the terminals are bent, loose or corroded, repair them as necessary, and recheck the system.
o If the terminals look OK, go to step 4.

4. With the connectors still disconnected, make these input tests at the connectors.

o If any test indicates a problem, find and correct the cause, then recheck the system.
o If all the input tests prove OK, go to step 5.

5. Reconnect the connectors to the control unit, and make the input tests at the connectors.

o If any test indicates a problem, find and correct the cause, then recheck the system.
o If all the input tests prove OK, the control unit must be faulty; replace it.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:52 PM

^thank u
narrowed it down to the switch or the mouldue im going to swap them with my buddies car and see if it works. thanks

Quick Reply: soft top not working