S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Soft top lining pulling rear window down, help!

Old 02-20-2012, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft top lining pulling rear window down, help!

Hey s2ki-ers,

There's a piece of fabric/material on the soft top that's supposed to go OVER the furthest rear support bar and then under and tucked into the middle (2nd) bar. Well, mine goes UNDER the rear bar (for some reason..I'm guessing that the top had been replaced prior to me owning the far), which ends up pulling down on my soft top just enough so that the rear window leans against the stock rollbar covers. How do I fix this? Is it easy to tuck the fabric back into the middle bar again if I were to pull it out?

Appreciate any help anyone can provide! Thanks!
Old 11-04-2012, 09:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm reviving this thread because I have a similar issue.

I just did a soft top frame swap on my MY00 and now the top touches the roll bars. Is this normal for the glass tops?

The new top also sits higher in the down position than the plastic did. I've read this is normal (it rests just below the level of the trunk) but the glass does not clear the boot cover snaps (which have been removed). This makes it very difficult to get the boot cover on. Is this also normal?
Old 11-05-2012, 02:18 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Snagging some pictures with the top up will help people answer your question the best. I went to a tech day when I installed my soft top and I have quite a bit of space between the roll hoops and glass so there is no reason whatsoever it should.

When you install the glass top the two middle snaps for the boot cover need to be removed (Sounds like you did this though).

Regardless pics of the top with it up will help answer your question.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:02 PM

Here's an outside view of the top touching the roll bars:

Here's an inside view:

Another inside view:

This is how far my top lowers. Looks normal right?

It doesn't clear the boot cover snaps:

This is an EZ-ON top on an '02 frame.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:38 PM

Mine does the same exact thing since i changed the top. I used an EZ on top with a glass conversion. I cant seem to figure it out. The back piece where the window is just isnt taught enough to keep the glass up. Doesnt bother me too much except i dont want the roll bar to wear the top. I was gonna just cut some patches out of my old top and glue them to the new one where it rubs but if theres a way to actually fix this then i would love to hear it. Maybe we shouldnt have cheaped out and splurged for the robbins top.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Muggus
Mine does the same exact thing since i changed the top. I used an EZ on top with a glass conversion. I cant seem to figure it out. The back piece where the window is just isnt taught enough to keep the glass up. Doesnt bother me too much except i dont want the roll bar to wear the top. I was gonna just cut some patches out of my old top and glue them to the new one where it rubs but if theres a way to actually fix this then i would love to hear it. Maybe we shouldnt have cheaped out and splurged for the robbins top. />
Sounds like a design flaw then. Maybe the EZ-on sleeve for the 2nd and 3rd bows doesn't allow the 3rd bow to slide back far enough? The top was already installed on the frame when I bought it so I didn't have much choice. It only bothers me if it prevents the top from lowering correctly.

Good idea on the patches although I'm not sure I need them. The part that touches is where the glass is glued to the fabric so it's not a wearable spot. Might reduce the tapping sound on rough roads though.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have this exact same problem and also have the ez on top installed. From what I have gathered it can be caused by not pulling the top tight enough from the rear when installing. The theory is if it is pulled tight enough it will stretch to have a tight proper fitment. When I first had it installed there was no gap but after time it has settled/stretched and now the window basically rests on the rollbar covers. It is not a problem other than an annoying rattle that can be heard when the radio is off and windows are up!
Old 11-11-2012, 10:27 PM

so you're saying that the fabric (not the whole frame) should be pulled towards the back of the car? My top is already very taut and takes a bit of effort to close but that would explain why the glass isn't lowering more.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ correct! I believe the fabric is riveted in the back so you have to make sure to rivet far enough forward that the fabric has to be stretched to close the top. It should be tough to close at first and then the longer it is on and closed the more the fabric is stretched for less of a struggle when closing. My dad installed mine so im not 100% on the rivets but he mentioned that he wasnt sure how far back to position the rivets bc at first they looked to far forward (which explains the stretching theory).
Old 11-13-2012, 12:15 PM

I had the same issue. Everything was taut too.

So what I did was I got some 1/2" foam weatherstrip that has adhesive on the back. Cut about 3" of it and applied it to the top where it touches the rollbars (mine wasn't hitting the window, but just above it). No issues putting the top up or down, prevents the wearing of the top and stops the annoying tapping.

Quick Reply: Soft top lining pulling rear window down, help!