S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

So who's S2000 made the Blackstone Monthly Report

Old 02-16-2015, 09:17 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

I had a bit of lead show up in my samples, no other wear metals and heading down, but if it continues the pan might be coming off. If so new bearings and squirters will be installed.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:41 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Pinky
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO' timestamp='1424109323' post='23507764
I messaged Blackstone after I was sent that e-mail stating that I don't see how oil squirters led to rod bearing failure... In addition, I would be more interested in the results if the motor were opened up.
It's VERY well documented that this can lead to bearing failure. Please use Google.

Oh and you see all the stars above my name? Yeah I have been around for a while. Picked up the car Nov. 1999 and been very involved with the community even prior to that! I do not know who opened it up after it was sold. Though the $h*t covered cylinder walls(heat burning) and the metallic TICK TICK TICK tell me it was a spun bearing. The Blackstone ticket specifically said BEARING WEAR.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/923769-oil-jet-bolts/

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/867...t-banjo-bolts/

http://www.custom-car.us/blog/index....he-honda-s2000

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/764...n-pre-02-cars/

http://www.fitfreak.net/forums/other...g-problem.html

My comment was general in that I was looking to find out about the engine and if there were any issues with the engine as it was my first report. Looking to know about any scored cylinders. I did have at that point some lower compression #'s mostly on the rear cylinders and likely what prompted getting the test. Nothing that was extreme. It was a cold compression test and not HOT/WARM but compression came in line when I put a little oil on the top of the cylinder.

Directly from the report:
JIM: You are rightly concerned about a scored cylinder/low compression. High aluminum shows piston wear, and iron could very well be from the cylinder. We're also seeing bearing wear (copper and lead.)
Silicon may be part of the problem if it's dirt. Silicon can have other sources too, like harmless sealers and lubes. If it's dirt though, that could certainly be causing a lot of this wear. 0.5% fuel is usually not a problem, though none should have been present after the sampling technique you described. Caution. Averages show typical wear after 7,600 mi on the oil.

As we know our cylinder walls are not made of iron.
Those using metallic oil plugs of course must know.......... Aluminum, copper, lead, nickel etc. will not be picked up and so there is plenty of metal that can float around the engine!

I think if you reread what I originally wrote, you'll understand that I was not arguing that the earlier banjo bolts are not sufficient (one of the reasons I bought an AP2 - trust me, I'm caught up, probably more than the old timers ). I specifically related it to the rod bearing failure. However, if you really want me to tell you how many shits I give about yours stars, I can do that.

Link 1 - No mention of the word bearing, anywhere... Except a signature.
Link 2 - SAME.
Link 3 - Irrelevant.
Link 4 - Still not talking about bearings.
Link 5 - Talking about main bearings... Still not an oil jet issue.

I haven't been on the S2000 board as long as you, but don't confuse that for someone who hasn't been playing this game for a long time. I have had my fair share of failures, have built many engines, tuned MANY more, etc. I am not arguing bearing wear nor bearing failure. I am arguing that the banjo bolts did NOT cause a rod bearing to spin. I can note that depending how oil was sloshed around during driving, bearing material could make it's way up and score a cylinder. That's not to say a banjo bolt issue didn't cause scored cylinders (how scored, we do not know), but if the two are related, I would tie it to low oil pressure or another oil related issue.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:35 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Squirters are not there to lubricate. They are there to cool the pistons. Squirters stuck open at idle can cause reduced oil pressure to the head and bearings since they are fed directly from the main oil galley. Blocking the squirters is really the best thing. Oil is slung from the rod bearings to the bottom of the pistons in the first place so the real need is debatable.

I have way better things for my oil to be doing than making the bottom of my pistons heavy.

S2000 motors score piston walls due to the extremely tight tolerances honda uses. Piston to wall clearance is less than 0.001". If you hammer on it before its warm it'll scuff the piston.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:20 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts

You can believe it or not. That's my story and I am sticking to it.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much did you get for the motor pinky? As I am in the same place with my old motor, almost same miles and same thing that happened
Old 02-16-2015, 01:16 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by NoMoreCivicsPlease
How much did you get for the motor pinky? As I am in the same place with my old motor, almost same miles and same thing that happened
Sorry for your loss. I sold off the whole thing for $500. That was just the block, head no valve cover or any other accessories(except water pump) all other parts/pieces pulled off. I think I left the knock sensor and crank sensor too. It was really stripped down.

Some things I re-used on the replacement engine, others I just sold off, some I kept as backup parts.

If it's in good shape you might want to just re-build! There are some reputable re-builders around. Wadzii in NC, Ballistic Motorsports in NH as well as some other more well known name brand shops but I like the little guys that OWN or OWNED S2000's themselves.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:05 PM

Received 3,798 Likes on 2,676 Posts

Originally Posted by wadzii
Squirters are not there to lubricate. They are there to cool the pistons. Squirters stuck open at idle can cause reduced oil pressure to the head and bearings since they are fed directly from the main oil galley. Blocking the squirters is really the best thing. Oil is slung from the rod bearings to the bottom of the pistons in the first place so the real need is debatable.

I have way better things for my oil to be doing than making the bottom of my pistons heavy.

S2000 motors score piston walls due to the extremely tight tolerances honda uses. Piston to wall clearance is less than 0.001". If you hammer on it before its warm it'll scuff the piston.
I've always wondered if the squirters being open at idle would cause an issue, my oil pressures hover around 15 psi at idle, reading off an AEM oil pressure gauge. It seems a tad low but then again there may be some error in the AEM gauge and mounting setup. If the squirters are open at idle any idea of how how oil pressure would go, in terms of psi ?.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Those of you that remember the old board before Eric started this one should remember all the cylinder four scoring problems where Honda replaced many blocks. It seemed that more than 5% of board members with '00 cars had the problem (still a very small fraction of national fleet).

As soon as Honda announced the banjo bolt recall in Europe I had a series of conversations with a couple of members there and we concluded 1) In Europe there is not much more opportunity for high speed / rpm driving than here, 2) The number of cars was much smaller than the US, 3) You could use a BS excuse to localize a recall there, 4) Honda did the financial analysis and decided that it was cheaper to replace blocks as needed than run the recall for the more than 12,000 cars affected in the US market.

I got a set of bolts from Europe and replaced mine right away.

Each can believe anything they want regarding the banjo bolt fiasco but do remember it is finances that drives international corporations.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:26 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by wadzii
I thought that Honda reduced the clearance for the F22 - one reason we think that explains why F22s don't burn oil like F20s.

Originally Posted by cdelena
As soon as Honda announced the banjo bolt recall in Europe I had a series of conversations with a couple of members there and we concluded 1) In Europe there is not much more opportunity for high speed / rpm driving than here, 2) The number of cars was much smaller than the US, 3) You could use a BS excuse to localize a recall there, 4) Honda did the financial analysis and decided that it was cheaper to replace blocks as needed than run the recall for the more than 12,000 cars affected in the US market.
I also remember that the one significant difference was that Euro cars typically used synth oil while NA cars used dino oil. OP stated synth Mobil 1 since 11k mi... it is just causal, but we do know that many S engines don't like Mobil 1 in particular...

Regardless, Honda recalled and replaced a part on what essentially was the same thing we have here.