S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

So what to do next?

Old 04-25-2004, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So what to do next?

I have a turbo S...Haven't drivin it in about half a year. I ran it about two weeks ago for the first time and seemed to run fine but a lot of parts rusted to hell and was leaking. I modified my car to a some extent but had to stop to move to college. In NY now but my car is still in Maryland back at my parent's place. This summer I plan to continue building my car but its been such a long time since I've even looked at parts. So what do I do next? the car is in terrible condition but still running. I left it with mufflers plugged and battery disconnected. Will leaving a car that long damage anything? Can I get the car restored at the dealer? or should I take it to a restoration shop? I wish I can post pictures but I'm 6 hours away from my baby and don't have the time to go back and take pictures. Also there seemed to be a lot of rusted bolts in the engine bay. One of the biggest worries is that when the turbo was installed the oil filter was relocated and where the old filter was fitted was plugged with a steel bolt and washer. The bolt seemed severly rusted and when I started the car it had oil around it meaning its leaking. Also my wastegate (HKS 40mm?? I think i don't remember) is rusted badly. Other things included rusted up rotors, rusted exhaust gaskets, rusted engine gasket, etc. etc. I know things rust in age but...I was wondering if it can cause damage due to lack of use. When i moved the car for the first time the S made this really loud "thump"?? sound and felt like a big bolt broke. I think it was the driveshaft....

I also plan to start modifying it again....only problem is I lost track of the parts available for the S2000....
1. Need to replace exhaust to a 3inch pipe
2. Need to get suspension (coilovers)
3. Need new clutch and flywheel
Any suggestion? what other modifications should i be looking at?
(I have a kit, turbo, wheels, and minor suspension work. I'm looking to spend around 8000 this summer so...perhaps brake kits too)

Tuner
Old 04-26-2004, 02:03 PM

You have a project ahead. I take it nobody started the car and drove it every two to three weeks to keep this free. If no then internals could be in question. I would take it to a shop and have them take off the head. Look and replace gaskets. Change all filter elements. Change the oil. do a proper break in. Change out anything that even looks rusted for bolts to SS. Change all other fluids. Check and replace hoses and the norm of anything else that can rot from just sitting. From there drive it for a break in 500 miles and check for leaks along the way. This is the best I would suggest. I actually hope you aren't serious. Take it to the body shop next and have a complete rundown on the paint and wax. I wouldn't worry to much about the brake rotors just the calipers. I had one on my truck rust open and had to replace it.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:02 PM

sorry to break it to ya but I'm not kiddin...
My S hasn't been drivin in a long time and the condition is horrible
Thanx for the advises

Tuner
Old 04-26-2004, 08:58 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The clunk was almost definitely the pads melded to the rotors. Don't worry about it. As for the rest of it, what a shame!
Old 04-26-2004, 11:00 PM

I'm SOOOO SORRY!!! (Tuner crying)
haha
Itz okay folks I plan to have it back on the road in perfect condition soon
I just need....advise...heh heh

Tuner