S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

So I've blown my head gasket

Old 06-02-2021, 03:59 AM

Received 480 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by boyguan
how much more work was it to remove the IM?

My starter is sticking and i want to changer the upper radiator hose, so maybe it makes sense to remove it to do the other jobs
No need to remove IM to change that. Remove alternator and tensioner, you'll have ALL the room you need to do the thing. If you have a boroscope you can use it to help you get to the top starter bolt, as you'll still need extensions, the bottom one can be gotten from underneath the car.
Old 06-02-2021, 05:21 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

You can easily spy the top starter bolt from between the im runners using a flashlight.

After you remove alternator, guide the socket on extensions in as you look on from above with the flashlight.
Old 06-02-2021, 12:06 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
No need to remove IM to change that. Remove alternator and tensioner, you'll have ALL the room you need to do the thing. If you have a boroscope you can use it to help you get to the top starter bolt, as you'll still need extensions, the bottom one can be gotten from underneath the car.
I may need to do a head gasket and figure its only a few more bolts to get the IM off, so why not?
Old 06-02-2021, 12:16 PM

Received 1,377 Likes on 1,029 Posts

I may need to do a head gasket and figure its only a few more bolts to get the IM off, so why not?
I have no regrets about taking my IM totally off. All that radiator hose and heater hose access. these hose dunno what ab to hit them.
Old 06-02-2021, 12:37 PM

Wait...what's wrong that makes you think you need a HG?
Old 06-02-2021, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by B serious
Wait...what's wrong that makes you think you need a HG?
I am still tracking things down. Low compression on cyc 1 of 180 while the rest are 210+. I scoped the cylinder and it looks a tad wet. The coolant doesnt smell and my oil analysis looks fine.

I need to do a leak down test to check valves, but you figure any head work will require me to remove the head so just planning things out in my head. I could be completely off track once i do the leak down test.
Old 06-02-2021, 02:03 PM

I am still tracking things down. Low compression on cyc 1 of 180 while the rest are 210+. I scoped the cylinder and it looks a tad wet. The coolant doesnt smell and my oil analysis looks fine.

I need to do a leak down test to check valves, but you figure any head work will require me to remove the head so just planning things out in my head. I could be completely off track once i do the leak down test.

180 vs 210 probably isn't anything to do with the head gasket.

Maybe a tight valve or something.

Unless the car has overheated...it really unlikely your HG is busted. Don't open the engine unless you have to. I wanted to avoid doing this at all costs and I exhausted every possibility before doing it.

You're gonna get a bunch of foreign material into the engine (unavoidable) and you're gonna open up the possibility of damaging something very expensive.

So...my advice is to check every box before you open up the engine.
Old 06-02-2021, 09:44 PM

180 vs 210 probably isn't anything to do with the head gasket.

Maybe a tight valve or something.

Unless the car has overheated...it really unlikely your HG is busted. Don't open the engine unless you have to. I wanted to avoid doing this at all costs and I exhausted every possibility before doing it.

You're gonna get a bunch of foreign material into the engine (unavoidable) and you're gonna open up the possibility of damaging something very expensive.

So...my advice is to check every box before you open up the engine.
I agree and I plan to. I just bought the car and it has an aftermarket koyo radiator. Finished a valve adjustment and everything was way too tight.

ive adjusted valves and checked compression. About the same. Ran some seafoam and need to check. Borescope and it seemed fine but leak down first
Old 06-03-2021, 01:07 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Where did yours fail? My oil also had no visible traces of coolant mixing. I really think the leak was isolated to the combustion chamber/coolant passage.

It didn't seem to be leaking coolant into the chamber either. Only allowing pressurized combustion air into the coolant.
Between water passage and cyl 2. Interestingly, we ran it on full kill on the dyno, and couldn't get it to pressurize the cooling system. The problem was most noticeable during cold start (or otherwise after the car had been sitting a while). The still pressurized coolant would seep into the cylinder. Again, i'm mildly shocked that it wasn't puking coolant under WOT, and coolant tested negative for combustion byproduct. And it made the same power on the dyno as it had previously. Compression tested good.
Backstory is the thermostat stuck shut on the freeway, and I didn't catch it quickly enough.

Old 07-13-2021, 07:37 PM

Update!

Its been fixed for a while now and its running wonderfully. Its crazy how used I was to the "low power" condition.

Its new and improved with a bunch of new parts and a Billman TCT!

Thanks for everyone that helped.

I'm going to try and make a forensic style build thread when I have a bit of time. This mother has come a long way.

The following 6 users liked this post by B serious:
Bullwings (07-19-2021), engifineer (07-14-2021), JamesD89 (07-23-2021), JWN6264 (07-14-2021), Slowcrash_101 (07-14-2021), zze86 (07-14-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: So I've blown my head gasket