S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

So I've blown my head gasket

Old 05-21-2021, 12:24 PM

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
Yeah, I'll give'r a once over with my eyecrometers.

I'm trying to get this off and back on in 1 day. Got track events and other projects in que.

If its warped or cracked...I'm likely just ordering a new head.
Well this shit only happens right before a fun event
Old 05-21-2021, 01:51 PM
Jub

Received 417 Likes on 327 Posts

Bummer. Just out of curiosity, what were your valve check intervals? Had you noticed any tightening in previous checks? Stock tune?
Old 05-21-2021, 02:50 PM

Received 1,377 Likes on 1,029 Posts

Originally Posted by Jub
Bummer. Just out of curiosity, what were your valve check intervals? Had you noticed any tightening in previous checks? Stock tune?

Stock tune. I just did the valve adjustment last summer.

They were all pretty damn tight when I checked last summer....but another shop had done it for the PO before I bought the car. I bought it in Sept 2018. I think the shop done errored.

I think the gasket gave up either due to the previous supercharging....or because it ran low on coolant at some point. But I think it finally let go whilst under my ownership (just from previous damage), if that makes sense.
The following users liked this post:
rj.baker (09-21-2023)
Old 05-21-2021, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by engifineer
Well this shit only happens right before a fun event
Lol...yeah

To be fair...it happened DURING an event last year. I was like...wtf is all this coolant doing all over the engine bay??? the reservoir tank was ever so full.

I squinted, looked around suspiciously...added coolant and continued ripping for the whole summer.

Now this bwoy gonna pay for what he's done.
Old 05-22-2021, 07:40 PM

Received 612 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
-upper + lower rad hoses and clamps

All from Honda.
Just an FYI, the OEM hose clamps that your receive versus what the car came with will be different. When I replaced my radiator and hoses, I ordered new OEM clamps clamps and opted to stick with the original ones on the car. Some pictures for comparison below. In all pictures, the top one is the brand new one from Honda, and bottom is what the car comes with from the factory.

This is the OEM part number, and it's not the same.

​​​​​​​

Old 05-23-2021, 03:28 AM

Received 480 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullwings
Just an FYI, the OEM hose clamps that your receive versus what the car came with will be different. When I replaced my radiator and hoses, I ordered new OEM clamps clamps and opted to stick with the original ones on the car. Some pictures for comparison below. In all pictures, the top one is the brand new one from Honda, and bottom is what the car comes with from the factory.

This is the OEM part number, and it's not the same.

Old style ones had tabs to keep the hose clamp gaped open. They were helpful to position the clamp, but annoying to undo.
Old 05-23-2021, 09:15 PM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Yes, annoying to undo. Just swapped my leaking stock radiator with a koyo, and had difficulty getting the upper clamp to go back to clamping.

I used two pairs of pliers. The normal large pliers I use to release these types of clamps, plus channel locks to squeeze the whole clamp to release the lock. That way it didn't release all at once and I could control it.

Is there a better way to do this? What does the official tool used to do this look like?
Old 05-24-2021, 12:44 PM

Good to know on the clamps.

$1K later....

All parts (and more) are ordered from Honda. Most of the essential things are 1.5wks away. A bummer because I wanted to finish all this over memorial day weekend.

I can't whine too much, though. If I didn't have friends, some of the essential stuff would be months out.

Billman TCT also en route.

Old 05-24-2021, 06:18 PM

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Starter since everything is out?

At 170k, i1's just a matter if time unless you replaced it already
Old 05-25-2021, 04:19 AM

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by randomwalk101
Starter since everything is out?

At 170k, i1's just a matter if time unless you replaced it already
Would be at least good to take apart, clean and regrease the starter. At that mileage I sometimes would be prone to say "replace it since it is apart" but honestly, the starter is not hard to replace in this car. People make it out to be some terrible job, and it is not at all if you use the correct tools and be smart about it. I think it took me 45 min to remove, disassemble, clean, regrease and re-install mine. That top bolt is not hard to put back in at all, again, gotta use your brain and the right combination of universal joint, a bit of tape and long extensions, but not hard especially relative to a lot of jobs on modern cars. Depending on the cost of the starter, I would be ok leaving it and just having to replace it later with this in mind.

Quick Reply: So I've blown my head gasket