S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

So I've blown my head gasket

Old 05-20-2021, 08:14 PM

Received 1,377 Likes on 1,029 Posts
Default So I've blown my head gasket

Some of you may remember my cooling issue thread.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/no-heat-my2007-strange-issue-aluminum-aftermarket-radiator-1204634/

Ever since that issue, I've been in loser denial that my head gasket was blown. But...after continued issues and eventually smelling exhaust gas in the coolant, as well as seeing carbon floaties.....I decided to put some compressed air into the cylinders and find out.

Thar she blows.

Anyway, screw enjoying the car during the blip of summer we get in the midwest. Instead, its way more fun to install a head gasket. :grumble:

I'm wondering what parts you people recommend replacing along the way.

The car is a MY07. Almost 170K miles. Tracked a lot. Previously supercharged (FWIW). Engine is stock with the exception of a silicone intake arm and velocity stack filter inside the stock box.

It doesn't burn oil or anything of that sort.

Im buying:
-Head gasket (duh)
-Valve cover gasket
-IM and header gaskets (is the IM gasket reusable?)
-VTEC solenoid gasket
-coolant (duh)
-water pump
-thermostat
-upper + lower rad hoses and clamps

All from Honda.

My OG TCT doesn't make noise. But thinking its a good idea to replace with a Billman one? Idk.

I don't see why the head bolts wouldn't be reusable...but...do people have better results buying new ones?

Is the timing gear collar 14422-PCX-000 a wear item that one should replace? Perhaps @Billman250 has an opinion?

How easily do these heads warp when a head gasket blows? I never saw an overheat condition on the cluster. But...obviously there probably was some over heating. Its been tracked a LOT. Probably with the head gasket issue in play too.

I swapped a head on my other S2000 back when I was just a boy. I can't remember what extra stuff I did along the way.

Please let me know if I'm forgetting stuff.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-21-2021, 02:29 AM

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Can you/will you have the block and head checked for flatness? maybe now is a good time to have the head checked as well...
Old 05-21-2021, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by starchland
Can you/will you have the block and head checked for flatness? maybe now is a good time to have the head checked as well...

Yeah, I'll check it with a flat bar (machined straight edge) and feeler gauges.
Old 05-21-2021, 03:03 AM

I'm now thinking that new head bolts are a good plan since the car was supercharged before
The following users liked this post:
John Ash (05-26-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 04:32 AM

Received 1,231 Likes on 1,075 Posts

1. Page 6-49 of the Service Manual (the real one, not the one with the Japanese model in a bikini on the cover) has the cylinder head bolt specs and how to check them. No need to automatically replace them but they're only $12 each (you need 10).

2. Billman TCT is always a good idea.

-- Chuck
Old 05-21-2021, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
1. Page 6-49 of the Service Manual (the real one, not the one with the Japanese model in a bikini on the cover) has the cylinder head bolt specs and how to check them. No need to automatically replace them but they're only $12 each (you need 10).

2. Billman TCT is always a good idea.

-- Chuck
Yeah, true. Not worth the risk of having to do it over. Just hate throwing out something if its perfectly good, you know?

I should know by Monday if any of this stuff is backordered. Keep running into that on Honda (and other) orders that I've placed recently.
Old 05-21-2021, 08:32 AM

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Good to see the radiator hoses on that list. Those are kind of a biatch to get to with the intake on the car! I would send the head off to be checked for cracks if it were me. You can try to inspect yourself but may not be a bad idea to make sure that is not part of the issue.

Any signs of coolant in the oil? If a lot of it in there I would be inspecting bearings very closely for excess wear as well to determine if you should do a "refresh" aka bearing replacement given mileage and any wear caused by coolant in the oil.

I would think to just re-use the head bolts since they are not tq to yield.

Old 05-21-2021, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by engifineer
Good to see the radiator hoses on that list. Those are kind of a biatch to get to with the intake on the car! I would send the head off to be checked for cracks if it were me. You can try to inspect yourself but may not be a bad idea to make sure that is not part of the issue.

Any signs of coolant in the oil? If a lot of it in there I would be inspecting bearings very closely for excess wear as well to determine if you should do a "refresh" aka bearing replacement given mileage and any wear caused by coolant in the oil.

I would think to just re-use the head bolts since they are not tq to yield.
Nah, no coolant/oil mixing. That's why I kept holding out hope that it WASN'T a head gasket.

The radiator volcano created by filling the cylinder, however, is undeniable evidence of an inconvenient truth.
Old 05-21-2021, 08:57 AM

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
Nah, no coolant/oil mixing. That's why I kept holding out hope that it WASN'T a head gasket.

The radiator volcano created by filling the cylinder, however, is undeniable evidence of an inconvenient truth.
Oh yeah, definitely a head/head gasket issue. And unless overheated likely not a crack. But since the head is off, may be worth having a good head shop check it for you just to be safe. But with a very good inspection/cleaning/inspect again you may find any traces of a crack yourself. Hopefully though when you pull the head you will see the tell tale signs of where the gasket let go and that will give you more confidence that was the only issue.
Old 05-21-2021, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by engifineer
Oh yeah, definitely a head/head gasket issue. And unless overheated likely not a crack. But since the head is off, may be worth having a good head shop check it for you just to be safe. But with a very good inspection/cleaning/inspect again you may find any traces of a crack yourself. Hopefully though when you pull the head you will see the tell tale signs of where the gasket let go and that will give you more confidence that was the only issue.
Yeah, I'll give'r a once over with my eyecrometers.

I'm trying to get this off and back on in 1 day. Got track events and other projects in que.

If its warped or cracked...I'm likely just ordering a new head.

Quick Reply: So I've blown my head gasket