S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

So i got this noise.. and now i gotta rebuild.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ He is definetly going to need new sleeves. If a piston can move that much in a cylinder, and its scored, its done. I had a scored cylinder on mine and it could barely be caught with my fingernail, and it knocked loud. I just replaced the shortblock and got it done with.

Why would it be 2k for a rebuild? If your going to re-sleeve your engine in the s2k, you will want to go ahead and get some iron sleeves, that way you dont have to worry about the scoring and stuff as much. It can also handle tons of power if he ever decided to do anything with it and make some big hp numbers. You cannot use OEM pistons in aftermarket sleeves. Our cylinders are coated, and our pistons are made for those cylinders. So with different sleeves, you will need some aftermarket pistons. He will also have to ship his block off, or take it somewhere that specializes in pressing sleeves into blocks, and its not that cheap either. Thats tons of work when you could have already bought a different shortblock and had it in the car running perfectly. The OEM block can handle quite a bit of power, so I dont think it would be an issue. I easily spent $500 on just gaskets, fluids, fender covers, ect. I highly doubt you can buy sleeves, pistons, get them pressed, replace bearings, and things such as gaskets and fluids for less than $2000.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ He is definetly going to need new sleeves. If a piston can move that much in a cylinder, and its scored, its done.
he says the cylinder wall is within honda allowed range for wear. maybe piston rings unseated and are allowing for motion

I had a scored cylinder on mine and it could barely be caught with my fingernail, and it knocked loud. I just replaced the shortblock and got it done with.
did you check the rod bearings?

You cannot use OEM pistons in aftermarket sleeves.
I believe you got that the other way around. you cant use most aftermarket pistons in oem sleeves because they will destroy the cylinder coating. aftermarket sleeves are usually cast iron and the oem pistons are a forged alloy...that seems kosher to me

I easily spent $500 on just gaskets, fluids, fender covers, ect.
you overpaid for "gaskets, fluids, fender covers, ect."

if there is no need for sleeving, all this wont cost 2k. you also need to consider the quality of the replacement engine. the s2k is coming down in price. morons are buying them, beating on them and crashing them.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

honda sells .25 larger oem pistons i believe
Old 06-29-2010, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont know if they sell larger pistons...its likely, but i know they sell oversized piston rings. they is a 6 week wait for them tho...

my previous post is not to say that you should or should not rebuild the engine. all im saying is consider all your options with the right information