S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

So i got this noise.. and now i gotta rebuild.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So i got this noise.. and now i gotta rebuild.

Im at 130k miles and developed a knockish tickish sound . Pulled cams, found busted valve stem. replaced valve stem an threw in dual springs and titanium retainers. then theres a NEW noise. Sounds topish so i say bad valve guide or wrist pin. pull the head again. i can move my number 1 piston circular-ly a good 3mm. So im voting bad wrist pin. This is the first time ill be stripping a bottom end.

Im hoping a vet or two can give some insight. Is that much play acceptable? (i think not) i think piston play like that means bad top end on the rod. Should i replace piston, pin, AND rod?

Gonna get arp headstuds. I read somewhere that the block has a spot that needs to be machined in order for them to properly seat?

I plan to replace all bearings

Does anyone here have experience with this? ANY Help will be Greatly appreciated
Old 06-26-2010, 09:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Goodness. There should be no play at all. I bet you were hearing piston slap since that piston is so loose. Did it score the cylinder at all?
Old 06-26-2010, 09:25 AM

slap yes. score, kinda. Cant catch a fingernail which the manual says is acceptable. i still plan on hone job though. I want to pull all pistons and rods and check them. Trying to do as much of the work on my own as i can.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:23 AM

total cost for this rebuild will be around 2k, i wonder if i should just order a jdm? They sell for 3k.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:58 AM

Yeah I wouldnt even bother man. I bought a shortblock on here with 60k in good condition with all internals and everything for $1500 shipped. Im sure you could find something like that. Also way easier than tearing the engine in peices. You just take your head off and put it on the new one and drop it in.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:21 PM

yea, im DEFINITELY open to options. i have a lead on a few blocks, just waiting to hear back. i just dont like to rely on some people so im planning for the worst and looking for the best. ill start lookin now. if you happen to see something and remember this post id GREATLY appreciate it man
Old 06-26-2010, 12:45 PM

well, good thing about the rebuild is that the motor is new
Old 06-26-2010, 01:43 PM

^ True, but your going to spend alot of money and time on it that isnt even worth it unless your rebuilding to go FI. A full rebuild would be re-sleeving the block. If you have a scored cylinder or that much play, he would need new sleeves. Thats very expensive, then plus all the internals. So if your not planning on making huge hp numbers or go FI, its not worth it at all. Just buy a used oem block. Ill keep an eye out for you man!
Old 06-26-2010, 02:53 PM

awesome, thanks people the search is on!
Old 06-29-2010, 12:18 PM

if you are already removing the engine to replace the bottom end, why not disassemble it and see whats going on with that piston #1. It took me a whole 50 minutes to have the entire bottom end in pieces the first time i did the job.

maybe it is something really cheap...
why would the rebuild be 2k? you can also buy used spare internals

Quick Reply: So i got this noise.. and now i gotta rebuild.