S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

So I broke my transmission yesterday

Old 05-17-2010, 08:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So I broke my transmission yesterday

So yesterday, I went on a spirited drive, and I broke my transmission. At first I thought it was the diff, but when I got her back to the shop, I realized the transmission failed.

Mods:

Full Race Turbo kit
Cams,
Head gasket
Head studs

ACT Disc Clutch

Cusco Diff

So I'm sure honda won't warranty it, but man that sucks, I have no idea why or how I broke it, I drove it easier than normal.

It happened when I came to a stop, took off, and the VSA light came on (I was on gravel) and it shuddered, then stopped. It makes this horrible clunking noise though.

And to add insult to injury, I scrapped a side skirt, and scuffed up three of my blitz wheels

(sigh) I'm sure the ap2 trans are all the same, but I'm not 100%, anyone willing to shed some light on this matter?
Old 05-17-2010, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much power do you have?
Old 05-17-2010, 08:53 AM

Transmission failures aren't common. The differential is typically the weak link in the drive train (after the OEM clutch, of course).

I'm sure you have an aftermarket clutch, right? How often do you launch and power shift?
Old 05-17-2010, 09:16 AM

I only made 325 whp.

No launches actually, or power shifts, I just drive the car hard, I see red line often.

And yes I have clutch, it's just an ACT disc though.

Does anyone happen to know if the bolt patters on the ap1 and ap2 the same? I'm sure it is, but I do know gearing is slightly different, but I'm sure the cost would be much much different though

It just upsets me this is an 08 CR with only 15,xxx on it! I can't believe a transmission would fail with 15,xxx on it, I bought the car used with 8,xxx on the clock, and it's been boosted since then.

I don't see how a transmission would fail at that little amount of miles, I could see 50,xxx but not 15,xxx
Old 05-17-2010, 09:32 AM

You certainly won't be warrantied with the clutch and being turbocharged.

The only reason the transmission would fail would be from severe abuse and negligence from you or the previous owner. Both of the OEM "fail safes" such as the clutch and rear differential were replaced, meaning that the transmission may be seeing abuse normally taken up by these other two components.

I would implicate poor shifting technique since you said the car wasn't being launched, unless the previous owner absolutely beat the tar out of it before you got your hands on it.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:07 AM

hmm, lol maybe it is me after all, I'm actually waiting back from honda, they said they "might" be able to help. Otherwise I've got a few other trans I found on our for sale threads...
Old 05-17-2010, 11:16 AM

Don't hold your breath on them helping. I would just buy a used tranny and perhaps evaluate your driving techniques.

I'd say the chance that there was a defect in the transmission is slim-to-none, and to determine this would require a complete tear-down of the transmission, which will almost certainly indicate abuse and not a defect. Then you're not only going to pay for the cost of a new transmission, but for the disassembly/diagnosis of the old one.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:28 AM

oh no, I'm not saying the would, but it never hurts to give it a shot though. I do drive the car rather aggressively, but I would figure it'd hold out a bit longer, and here I was taking "precautionary" steps in getting a new clutch and diff lol
Old 05-17-2010, 11:35 AM

Unfortunately, your precaution actually just shifted the drivetrain's weak point to the most expensive component: the transmission.

You will be able to bolt up any S2000 transmission you want. AP1 and AP2 have different gear ratios, so you'll have to determine which one you want.

Good luck.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:44 AM

actually, thanks for the advice, but it seems like I jumped the gun too soon, it's actually my diff that failed after all. I pulled the drive shaft just now and was able to "drive" the car on the lift. Then shortly after, I spun the driveshaft (that was left connected to the diff) and it's locked up.

Quick Reply: So I broke my transmission yesterday