S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Snapped idler gear/cam chain sprocket bolt

Old 01-01-2011, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snapped idler gear/cam chain sprocket bolt

Well after wating for all the sensors and harness to get in and put everything back together I start the car to hear a load tapping noise under the valve cover.. I shut the car off as quickly as possible and get my tools to take the valve cover off to check it out.

Pull the cover look for a second take out the plugs to get to tdc and notice as im turning the idler gear/cam chain sprocket is not setting flush and the bolt is hanging out more then normal, I grab the req. allen wrench and try and get the gear back into the correct spot and tighten the bolt and all it does is spin..

So I removed the bolt to check the threads when i see that the bolt has somehow snapped in half.. Not sure if this can be fixed or if im going to need to get a new head.. Also not sure if im going to be able to pull off a job like this at my apt because im sure the head is going to haft to come off to "if possible" get that other half of the bolt out..

How much you think this would cost at the dealer (to get bent over) to get fixed.. All I want is everything to get fixed so I can drive it, owned it for 2 months now and only put 10-15 miles on it.

Or if anyone knows of a Shop that does good work, I'm located in San Antonio NW side

Thanks for any feedback
~Rich
Old 01-01-2011, 03:24 PM

Here is a pic

Old 01-01-2011, 06:13 PM

you talking about that bolt?

you dont need to pull the head out. just take out your camshaft and holders. click here for instructions on how to remove it.

where on the bolt is it broken?

drill out the other half of the bolt using extracting bit.

and order a new bolt for $3.12 (#9 Illustration below) order here

do NOT drop the washer into the chain case! (#22 Illustration)
Old 01-01-2011, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by funkemonke,Jan 1 2011, 07:13 PM
you talking about that bolt?

you dont need to pull the head out. just take out your camshaft and holders.

where on the bolt is it broken?

drill out the other half of the bolt using extracting bit.

and order a new bolt for $3.12 (#9 Illustration below) order here

do NOT drop the washer into the chain case! (#22 Illustration)
Bad ass Sir!

Thats great news, Ill get on that tomarrow.. Thanks for the info and i'll post updates
Old 01-01-2011, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by s02k,Jan 1 2011, 10:58 PM
Bad ass Sir!

Thats great news, Ill get on that tomarrow.. Thanks for the info and i'll post updates
good luck. keep us informed.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:05 AM

So I went out today and started to take the cam caps and cams out.. got those out and took the snapped bolt out ( left it in to hold the washer in place ) so now im unsure of what to do.. The chain is still on the sprocket so im unable to get that gear/sprocket out.. do I try and drill the rest of the bolt out with that gear in there.. It dont seem vary safe and without a doubt shavings are going to fall..

Any ideas? Im not sure if im going to be able to drill that bolt out even with the gear/sprocket out of the way, always seen it done but never done it myself.. im not at all steady enough

Old 01-02-2011, 10:27 AM

OK looked at the manual and I forgot about the tensioner
Old 01-02-2011, 10:35 AM

Did you remove the tensioner?

If not, you won't be able to slide the chain off the idler gear.

Stuff a bunch of shop towels in there to catch the metal shavings once you get the idler gear off.

Change your oil and filter after your done.

Or, you could pull the head off to make sure no metal shavings gets in the pan.

Ron
Old 01-02-2011, 01:55 PM

ok so, after you remove the tensioner you should be able to get the idler gear off.

to remove the other half of the bolt, align the drill bit onto the center of the broken bolt.

drill into the center of the bolt.

place the screw extractor into the wrench. Insert the extractor into the hole you drilled.

exert pressure on the extractor wrench. Turn it slowly counterclockwise until the bolt loosens.

continue exerting pressure while turning slowly, until the bolt is completely removed.

gl dude, keep us informed.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Before you drill try using a pointed punch to tap the broken off end of the bolt counterclockwise. Chances are it will freewheel out of the head without the need to drill. More than often the drilling actually winds the broken out bit hard into the bottom of the threaded hole.

If that fails, if you have access to a MIG welder, try to weld a dag onto the end of the broken bolt so you can grab it with pliers/side cutters. This method is much quicker with less chance of damaging the threads than drilling.

Quick Reply: Snapped idler gear/cam chain sprocket bolt