S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Snap over steer help!

Old 04-11-2010, 07:26 AM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

don't do anything to upset the transfer of weight while you are in the corner. Most people think about braking or lift throttle as the culprits , but hitting VTEC can do the same thing. Slow in and fast out, do all of your braking before the corner. As far as VTEC, go in the corner in a lower gear with VTEC already engaged or go in at a higher gear where VTEC won't engage in the corner.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zdan thanks you answer to a few of my questions and to whom else responded my situation, yeah i'm from southern cali and track days cost alot only for about a few runs, same as auto x, my background is i've driven FF Civics ever since my time being

but driving my S i'm starting to get the picture that u can't muscle your way in a turn and there's more logic to it i still hear about Rear toe and not quite familiar with it

and taking the turns when i first had my s was really scary cause like they u guys said it was kinda twitchy and in your gut your like wtf? just happend

any of your guys concerns would help thanks lots!
Old 04-11-2010, 10:23 AM

Here's my baaaaaaaaaaaby 02 Sebring Silva AP1

Old 04-11-2010, 10:42 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Car looks great! I need a hardtop...

Basically, "slow in, fast out" (not *too* fast out!) is the rule. You want to get most of your slowing down done prior to entering a corner, transition from braking to turning, and begin applying power somewhere in the vicinity of your apex, trading steering angle for throttle as you go from apex to exit.

Should be *smoothly* transitioning from braking to steering, and then from steering to throttle.

While doing this, you are always looking ahead to where you're about to be. At apex you should already have the exit mapped out, and easily be able to begin unwinding the steering gradually as you gradually apply more power.

The only way to really learn how to deal with the car on the limits is to get experience at the limit, and the only really practical/safe way to do that is autoX and track days.

In the meantime, just keep it SLOW!
After (if) you gain track/autoX experience, you'll learn that any kind of street driving is slow in comparison anyway. You just can't push the limits on the street. Too many variables, risk is way way too high.

So take it EASY!
Old 04-11-2010, 12:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...&#entry17924734

Enjoy!
Old 04-11-2010, 02:19 PM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LBCS2000,Apr 11 2010, 05:20 AM
I am a recent owner of a s2000 i just owned my s2 for almost 2 years.
say what
Old 04-11-2010, 05:19 PM

zdan! thanks great advice i was practicing slow in and fast out and mapping the apex during the turn to exit straight but i didn't push it hard like i did on that turn

spook thanks for the site!

jim i mean i am a recent owner only owning my car for about a year and serveral months almost 2 years, and i never driven fr rwd ever and to learn how to drive the s2 at it limits it requires alot of experience.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:01 PM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Your definition of recent and several is different than mine.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:18 AM

I was worried about oversteer so I added a front lower brace, Tein flex coilovers, UK alignment, 17" wheels with 255/40 rear tyres and 225/45 front tyres. No issues so far but then again I tend not to floor the throttle when taking a corner - feathering the throttle is more rewarding as you feel for the grip. The car feels like it steers from the rear and can be controlled by modulating throttle and only flooring it on the straights or at the apex.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:23 AM

As with any car go into a turn too hot and run the risk of a spinout,Now imagine going into a turn a tad fast then hitting v-tec, the tires are now gaining more speed in a turn instead of a straight line , it will tend to follow the radius at that point and since the cars are prone to snap well , your just adding to that feature . Slow down before the turn to a comfortable speed and make any and almost all adjustments in the turn before mashing the gas again , You want to gain speed and momentum in a straight line not while turning,... Btw if you feel the car snapping its already too late ,... autox is really the safest and only way to actually learn the vehicles and your limits, Its cheaper to run 5 autox days then it is for s2k repairs

Quick Reply: Snap over steer help!