S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Smoke out of header? Intermittent rattle?

Old 11-21-2010, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Smoke out of header? Intermittent rattle?

Ok so I just finished my regular oil change for the S and I am quite disturbed with what I've found. Let me just get to the point:

> Only recovered about 3.8QT of old oil
> Engine has been making a strange intermittent rattling noise that sounds like a loose exhaust hangar? (Even though I checked them all they look good) Seems to happen mostly at idle.
> Gas mileage has been poor (about 20% less than optimal) for the last two months or so
> The most concerning: there was smoke (!!!) coming from the header side of the engine around Cylinder 2 (the same one I recently had work done on). At first I thought I just spilled some oil and it was burning off... turns out it continued, and left a clearish oily residue on the valve cover between cyls 2 and 3. no odor. If it werent for the persistent rediue I'd think it was water vapor.

Now given all of these things, and the fact that I had engine work done a few months ago to repair Cyl 2's exhaust valve - I am freaking out. Well, y'all know what the economy is like and I simply cannot afford more engine work. What do you think it could be?

In writing the above I've come up with the theory that it could be a loose (??) header causing the exhaust-sounding rattle and leaking fumes out the side of the engine. Since the residue is oily but does not leave any color on the engine could it be unspent fuel?
Old 11-21-2010, 07:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Good chance your valve cover gasket isn't sealed well. That is a common reason for oil to leak out of there and then smoke when hits header etc.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

x2,
Check your exhaust manifold gasket. The rattling could be....Valve about to unseat....valve adjustment not right? is it a rattling noise or a ticking noise?
Im just throwing those out there, stemming from what you posted. Do a leakdown test/compression test.Check your plugs, your plugs can be an indicator of possible problems.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:36 AM

It's definately a rattle, like something loose in the exhaust. At first I thought it might be a loose bolt holding on my exhaust tip, but they're tight, and the sound doesn't seem to come from the back of the car. (Hard to echolocate)

Shit I don't want to take this thing in and pay more $$ when I suspect it had something to do with the way this guy rebuilt the head.

FYI the reason it was torn apart is because I had a strange misfire issue. Turned out to be Cyl2's exhaust valve seat was malformed. We put in a new valve seat and reground the rest of the head, put in AP2 keepers and retainers and put it all back together. It seemed fine after that.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:48 AM

Is it smoking or steaming? Could be leaking vaporized coolant out the side of the head. This could leave a residue.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:55 AM

may sound stupid... but check o2 sensors n make sure they are tight! I put on my berk header and invidia test pipe and it sounded great. bout 2 weeks later i got a rattle, mostly only at idle. then it got worse. I went that following weekend to pull off exhaust and noticed my o2 sensors (BOTH) were loose and shook around. torqued them in pretty good and im still good to go
Old 11-22-2010, 07:53 AM

Thanks for the input guys - it helps to know others are out there and willing to help.

realblaq: It seems to be steam at first, but leaves a residue on the valve cover I can't quite determine. Seems clear-ish. I will check coolant levels etc once I am off of work today.

ImportedPower: That seems unlikely since I haven't fooled with them but I will check that as well. It would be consistent with the fuel economy issue.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:04 PM

Go through the whole exhaust system checking every bolt.
Take the E.manifold off and look into the head and see of any discolorations etc on the valves/ports.

Do a compression and leak down test.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:57 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

loose or broken header will rattle, make sure it's torqued to spec where it meets the head.

Double check that your spark plugs are tight and torqued to spec 18 ft lbs., hate to see one come loose on you as they often do.

Head gasket could leave such residue if the head wasn't torqued down properly, there is a procedure to follow for head bolt tightening and needs to be done exactly as dictated.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:56 AM

Yikes. Now I am scared poop-less that my engine guy didn't put humpty-dumpty back together properly. Having a new mechanic look at it today. Thanks for all the input! I will post any news here.

Quick Reply: Smoke out of header? Intermittent rattle?