S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Smoke from Engine/clutch???!?!?!?!?!?

Old 09-19-2001, 07:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke from Engine/clutch???!?!?!?!?!?

This morning on the way to work, my engine gave out some smoke for a couple of seconds then it was gone. It smelled like the clutch had gone out or some bad gas. Has this ever happened to anyone before?
Old 09-19-2001, 07:49 AM

never experienced this but i can't imagine it's anything but bad.
Old 09-19-2001, 07:55 AM

It was embarrassing! I was in traffic with the top down, the car behind me slowed down so they wouldnt get the smoke. I have owned used cars my whole life and this is my first brand new car. I am a little pissed about this.

Anyone have similar experience or know what it could be?
Old 09-19-2001, 08:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What were the conditions? Normal driving? I'd check/have it checked immediately. I've burned the clutch pretty bad on a hard/extended launch, but it never smoked (just stunk). To make enough smoke for anyone behind you to see it, you had to have burned a significant amount of fluid, either brake, oil, or other. I'd look for fluid leaks, first.
Old 09-19-2001, 08:12 AM

Driving conditions were normal, slight humidity, traffic, I just left the apartment for work. Car was warmed up.
Only thing I did in the past couple of days was top off the oil with 1/2 a Quart of Castrol GTX 10w-40.
I have approximately 3300 miles on it and the oil was at about half full according to the dipstick. I haven't had the first oil change yet. This is the only thing I have done different.
My friend in his S2k burned his clutch one day and I would have remembered the smell. It smelled like this but not exactly like this.
Old 09-19-2001, 09:45 AM

Originally posted by S2K_Dallas
Driving conditions were normal, slight humidity, traffic, I just left the apartment for work. Car was warmed up.
Since you weren't doing anything radical, I don't see how it could be the clutch.

Only thing I did in the past couple of days was top off the oil with 1/2 a Quart of Castrol GTX 10w-40.
I have approximately 3300 miles on it and the oil was at about half full according to the dipstick. I haven't had the first oil change yet. This is the only thing I have done different.
Are you sure you didn't overfill? I've heard that the dipstick marks represent a half quart, so I doubt it. Are you sure when you checked it it was really halfway (i.e. you checked it cold, checked it twice)? I think this is unreasonable consumption for an S2k in that period, but I've honestly never gone that long. In 1500 mile changes, I see NO oil burning.

My friend in his S2k burned his clutch one day and I would have remembered the smell. It smelled like this but not exactly like this.
The only thing I know of that smells acrid (like clutch) are brakes and a large quantity of engine oil (or brake fluid). Either, if dumped on the header, will make a big stink. It would take a fair bit, 1/2 pint or so, to make much smoke, though.

Was this out of the exhaust? If so, it was being burned in the engine, which is bad. I'd keep an eye on oil level and possibly take it back to the dealer if you have any more consumption. Honestly, I'd *change* the oil, I don't know of a dealer in this area that doesn't consider Texas to be in the "harsh environment" category. Lute Riley told me they recommend 2k oil changes and a 3k first oil change, that Honda recommends a 3k first change during break in in "harsh" environments.
Old 09-19-2001, 01:05 PM

It was light grey very thin smoke, that I could barely see coming from the engine area up top but could definitely smell it. I saw a light trail behind me. I almost pulled over right there.
I should probably go in for my first oil change and have this checked out.
Old 09-20-2001, 06:30 AM

Do that. If it was coming from the engine bay, it has to be a leak. I would assume you spilled some oil though you haven't mentioned it. Could be a leaky filter, or something else under the hood.

Have it looked at. You aren't "spotting" in your garage, are you?
Old 09-20-2001, 07:34 AM

Dont have a garage but haven't checked for spots. I did top off the oil the other day and spilled just a tad but wiped it off. I had driven it after but had no smoke then.
Old 09-20-2001, 12:30 PM

Why did you use 10W-40? Honda recommends 10W-30.

Quick Reply: Smoke from Engine/clutch???!?!?!?!?!?