S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Smoke again...

Old 10-12-2009, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, but I will ask him to if you think I should. I often hear about this test, please could you describe it? What does it involve, what are the expected results? Is this the compression test? Or something else?
Old 10-12-2009, 12:14 AM

Something else quickly... I know I overfilled the oil by about a 3rd of a liter (300ml) as I said in the original post. This is when it really started, so I'm fairly sure is the root cause of the problem...

Could this cause valve stem seal failure if they were already 'on their last legs'?
Old 10-12-2009, 06:40 AM

Come on guys, I really need to know if my problem sounds like it might be the valve stem seals, I'm going to have them replaced tomorrow, unless someone says that doesn't fit with my symptoms.

The key thing here are that the problem is still intermittent (it stopped again today as I was on my way home from work), if that alone discounts the valve seals, please tell me!! It's gonna cost me $600 to find out otherwise!
Old 10-12-2009, 06:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You really need to do a compression test. There's a lot variables involved here, guessing is going to get you no where.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:52 AM

Foxy,
Are you noticing any different sort of soot in your exhaust pipes? Does it smell sweet or oily?

Its hard to say... I'd definitely be concerned but I don't see where you've done any sort of diagnostic testing on the motor. A leak-down test and a compression test would be my first steps...
Old 10-12-2009, 06:59 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong here guys, but a compression test will simply tell me if the rings are the problem? If the/a ring was gone, the spark plug in that cylinder wulod be wet/black? The spark plugs show no sign of deposits. There is no extra soot in the pipe, the exhaust smells oily, but always has.

What's a leakdown test?
Old 10-12-2009, 07:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Definitely do a compression test. No idea why your mechanic has not done that yet. Takes 10 minutes and will help rule out certain things.
Does sound a bit like valve seals though. I know too much oil can cause some seals to leak from what I have read.
If it is oil that is burning there is only so many places it could be from.
Since you have a test pipe that would do that.
What does the smoke smell like?
If you can't tell the color, smell it. If it smells like gas than your running rich for some reason.
See if it smells sweet. That would be coolant if it does. Is the smoke whispy and goes away fast?
On my old car I thought it was bluish but turned out to be white smoke from a headgasket. No coolant in oil that I could see or anything either.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:10 AM

It smells oily, but always has. I'll get him to do a comrepssion test first thing beore he does any work, and call me with the results. What should I expect (230 all round, right, but hte most important thing is that they are all about the same?)? The smoke is heavy, and hangs in the air for a long time (like oil smoke)

It does smell gassy as well, maybe I'm running very rich...

WAIT A MINUTE!!!

I have a melted plastic bag on my test pipe. Could this have affected the O2 sensor maybe? And it's running rich? Wouldn't I have a check engine light?
Old 10-12-2009, 07:20 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Would think that would give you a cel if the o2 sensor went bad.
For compression test you want them to all be withing 10-15 psi of each other. Over all number is not that important as long as all are close to each other.
Would be weird for it to be running super rich though. You are not tuned with anything are you?
The second o2 sensor is just for emissions anyways so would throw a cel but would not cause it to run rich.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:26 AM

I'll get the comression test done anyway. Something tells me it'll be in the shop for a few days getting this diagnosed, let alone fixed.

My mechanic believs its the valve stem seals, but he didn't sound very sure either.

Quick Reply: Smoke again...